Returning to the Old Run of Ten + Years ago - Folyet - Chapleau- Dubreuilvill-Hearst

Gadgetman

We used to do Kirkland-Timmins-Folyet-Chapleau-Dubereville-Caramat-Longlac-Hearst-Cochrane-KL back in the 2000's.

Now that we don't drive Two strokes since 2012 (yes I'm still bitter - two pistons in 3 years), and we can again loop around, we will re-trace part of our old ride.

If anyone has already ridden into Folyet and Chapleau this season and has any input, please share your thoughts on the first season of the trail being open again. I'm good for fuel and hotel stops. (I guess Folyet is still only the General Store for a sandwich and gas pumps.)

Driving Saturday- SLed trip starts Sunday. IF you see me, say hello - Can't miss me - I'm the white and black Real-Tree guy with 4 other Yamaha's.

Cheers

Gadgetman...

2018 SLD Route.jpg

now if they can just open up missanabbi to chapleau again, it would open up multiple options for day, weekend, and week long destination riding. enjoy your trip. Ski

9 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

now if they can just open up missanabbi to chapleau again, it would open up multiple options for day, weekend, and week long destination riding. enjoy your trip. Ski

X2

Thursday when we were having lunch in Timmins a chap asked us what the distance to Chapleau was. We guessed about 175 miles (from my memory) Accord to Gadgetman's calculations, it's 170 miles. Any idea how many hours the trip takes. From what I recall, it's not a 'fast' route until you get closer to Timmins. This was around 1, 1:30 in the afternoon.

7 minutes ago, revrnd said:

X2

Thursday when we were having lunch in Timmins a chap asked us what the distance to Chapleau was. We guessed about 175 miles (from my memory) Accord to Gadgetman's calculations, it's 170 miles. Any idea how many hours the trip takes. From what I recall, it's not a 'fast' route until you get closer to Timmins. This was around 1, 1:30 in the afternoon.

Well now.We use a day for a ride, and you are 100% that it is never a fast ride. A good ride on that trip is not having to stand most of the way, a tough day your thighs are burning from the standing. Not a knock on local efforts to groom and maintain. It is tough country, almost no population compared to other centers in the region, so hats off to both Foleyet and Chapleau for contributing to get it open again with manpower (no people power statement from me), and yes good of the OFSC to understand the importance of this loop for our many American friends.

48 minutes ago, revrnd said:

X2

I think it was about 190 miles total and the trail was the best I have run between Chapleau and Timmins.  the trails have been changed a bit and are great with the exception of some trimming needed for about 1 mile on new trail.  they had enough snow finally and they were re-groomed perfect.

Also, the guy and his wife who bought the store in Foleyet have bought the nice looking log cabin chip stand place out on 101 at the corner of the street the trail runs into town.  They tore the guts out and it can sleep 4 to 6.  It looks real nice inside.  I think he said $50/night/person.  Just call the store in Foleyet.  there is a restaurant also in town.

Digging thru our '03 trip report, it was 283 klicks from the gas station (not sure which 1 on the south end f Chapleau) to the Esso truck stop in Timmins. We set out @ 11 AM & 7 miles out of town 1 of the sleds lost a chaincase seal. Got him back to town & continued. Rolled into Foleyet @ 3:37 PM & Timmins @ 6:45

Isn’t there a restaurant in foleyet? Just down the road and across for the general store. I thought we sat down to eat there?

Day 1 report.

NL to Auld Reekie 160km. Trails good.

Departed 0815, arrived noon. 3 15 min stops.

Ault Reekie to Timmons Super 8.

158 km . About 12 km shorter now that the trail is back onto hydro line, versus the long road run last March 

Left Ault Reekie at 1pm, fueled in Timmons at 5PM.

Tough seeing the trail in the cloudy snow conditions of today.

L143 North is Yellow for brush, limbs, rocks and that some open water. 

18 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Tough seeing the trail in the cloudy snow conditions of today.

I bet!

Riding from Timmins to NL 1 year we had a nice sunny morning (for an hour) then it snowed the rest of the day. This was our 1st trip thru that part of TOP C.

The screwup of the day was when not knowing about gas in the Gogama/Mattagami area, we rode out to the old Petrocrap on 144. Rolled thru the FN and saw a bunch of sleds that were leaving the Travelodge just after us. Stopped & went in to the restaurant. Sure enough, the 'Sudbury guys' were eating lunch. I told them that I wished we had known about gas there as it would've saved us a lot of time.

Snowfall got really heavy after we left Matach'. We had taken the long gone trail that crossed Campbell Lake.

On 2018-02-07 at 4:42 PM, skidooboy said:

Oh my goodness, yes !   A beauty trail!!!

i also enjoyed the Timmins to Chapleau trail.  Fast on one half, twisted in the other. Overall, a great ride.  We also found good accommodation in Foleyet.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2018 at 12:32 PM, willb said:

Isn’t there a restaurant in foleyet? Just down the road and across for the general store. I thought we sat down to eat there?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes there is, right across the road from the gas station/general store. Not sure why we didn't eat there years ago. Both the general store & restaurant had 'guest books' provided by the snowmobile club to sign. Obviously using the info to track traffic.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎07 at 2:46 PM, Gadgetman said:

We used to do Kirkland-Timmins-Folyet-Chapleau-Dubereville-Caramat-Longlac-Hearst-Cochrane-KL back in the 2000's.

Now that we don't drive Two strokes since 2012 (yes I'm still bitter - two pistons in 3 years), and we can again loop around, we will re-trace part of our old ride.

If anyone has already ridden into Folyet and Chapleau this season and has any input, please share your thoughts on the first season of the trail being open again. I'm good for fuel and hotel stops. (I guess Folyet is still only the General Store for a sandwich and gas pumps.)

Driving Saturday- SLed trip starts Sunday. IF you see me, say hello - Can't miss me - I'm the white and black Real-Tree guy with 4 other Yamaha's.

Cheers

Gadgetman...

2018 SLD Route.jpg

This is not the first season the C101D is reopened,  this is the 3rd season.   They moved some sections of the trail back to the old one making it better for a more permanent trail, they installed culverts in some places.    I've heard lot's of good things about section from Chapleau East .this season

Me and 2 friends just finished a marathon loop yesterday which started at noon on sunday. We started at searchmount and went to hornpayne for that night. Long trip. Question for "the groomer guy", after we gassed up we say the big blue sign saying  hornpayne this way at 135kms, so we followed the trip down to the river but didn't see that there were 2 ways to go and ended up about 25kms going towards white river. We didn't realize white river was the wrong direction until we were 25kms out lol. So my question is is there a sign that we missed coming down to the river in dub?

So day 2 was to go to cochrane. That was a great run across the top. And then the last day we went from cochrane back to searchmount. That was crazy long with the windy trail around Chapleau. Total mileage was 1500kms in 2 1/2 days. Kinda tired today lol. Great job on the trails all around, was excellent.

Distance and Time Summary

Started New Liskeard. Starts are pretty close to 8AM every day. Stops every 45KM or 45min for a short social break.

Summary: Everyone thought the loop was great, varying terrain. Magpie Relay very switched-on with what sledders need. (Too bad there was only ONE good sled in the barn the night I was there (see pic - 1 Yamaha in a sea of Burps - I only needed the garage to install the BITEHARDER Polytune Suspension rings for the 2nd half of the trip (worked awesome)).

FuelDistances.jpg

20180214_073429.jpg

20180214_125558.jpg

14 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Distance and Time Summary

Started New Liskeard. Starts are pretty close to 8AM every day. Stops every 45KM or 45min for a short social break.

Summary: Everyone thought the loop was great, varying terrain. Magpie Relay very switched-on with what sledders need. (Too bad there was only ONE good sled in the barn the night I was there (see pic - 1 Yamaha in a sea of Burps - I only needed the garage to install the BITEHARDER Polytune Suspension rings for the 2nd half of the trip (worked awesome)).

FuelDistances.jpg

20180214_073429.jpg

20180214_125558.jpg

Which set did you get??  Did you notice a big change??  For the price you can't go wrong.

Hi,

I'm just writing the report to BITEHARDER right now. Disclaimer, I'm a BITEHARDER Ambassador, so they shipped me both Soft and Medium to test.

I installed Soft ( I hope to install the Medium before this weekends trip.

First three days(no Polytune Rings installed)

I was pushing thru corners with the soft snow, with a little ski lift also. (Yamaha Vector not the best handling sled.)

Installed Soft Polytune Rings:

Pros

Immediately noticed that the extra down pressure was there, without having to compress spring and lose ride comfort.

Carved the corners much better than first part of trip.

Noticed that the rings also seem to  absorb some of the hard road stutter.

Cons

We not only had to lift the front end, but on my Yamaha Vector we had to completely back-off the springs to install the Polytune rings, even then needed to push them in with a tool on the tight Yamaha springs. 

Not an on-trail type of change-out piece of kit (at least not on a Yamaha Vector stock front spring).

Instructions don't suggest where on the spring to install the rings - I installed just above center (for now).

Summary:

Thought they were a great improvement to the cornering on my 2013 Yamaha Vector LTX (and keeping ride comfort).

Seeing as the NASCAR teams have been using a similar idea w/ the spring rubbers, I'm surprised nobody has come out w/ this before.

Archived