2018 Northern Blastoff

revrnd

Shortest one ever. Hundred miles out of Kirkland Lake the sled quits. Get it started and it definitely didnt sound good. Something in the bottom end maybe.

Sledjunk, Irreverent, Mrs Irreverent & Mike, a friend of SJ's have continued to Cochrane.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Shortest one ever. Hundred miles out of Kirkland Lake the sled quits. Get it started and it definitely didnt sound good. Something in the bottom end maybe.

Sledjunk, Irreverent, Mrs Irreverent & Mike, a friend of SJ's have continued to Cochrane.

I am very sorry to hear about your troubles. Any rentals in Kirkland Lake maybe?

http://www.rentsnowmobile.com/

Good luck.

bummer, sorry bout that Kris. cant get a rental, and keep on with the trip? Ski

I hadnt thought of that. I was more concerned with getting the sled to Timmins and letting the rest continue on. I'll let you guys know how the rest of the trip goes (bro had a idea) & what the verdict on the sled is.

My brother did that a few years ago.  Fresh rebuild.  Trailered to New Liskeard.  Went 1000' out on the lake and blew it up.  We pulled it in, put it on the trailer and drove back home to ptbo.  Really sucked.  Turned out he'd installed a piston backwards by mistake when re-building it.  Since then we've both bought 4 strokes.  Enough of that blowing up 2 strokes crap.  No regrets.  Sorry for your luck man.  I'd say get a rental if you can.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I hadnt thought of that. I was more concerned with getting the sled to Timmins and letting the rest continue on. I'll let you guys know how the rest of the trip goes (bro had a idea) & what the verdict on the sled is.

What engine and how many miles? Sucks to have trouble first day. 

600SDI. New short block a couple of seasons ago. Less than 2000 miles on it.

Hey the riding was fun while it lasted.

7 minutes ago, revrnd said:

600SDI. New short block a couple of seasons ago. Less than 2000 miles on it.

Hey the riding was fun while it lasted.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck Revrnd and that your trip was cut short. 

The way the last couple of mobths have gone, it doesnt surprise me

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

The way the last couple of mobths have gone, it doesnt surprise me

You have a little black cloud as well do ya.

12 minutes ago, whits-end said:

Rentals in K.L.  Speedy Sled Rentals.  866-YOU-SLED.  Maybe try out a 1200 Rennie?

Guy that used to own the place (and maybe still does) was a friend years ago. If you go there tell Nick that Guido says Hi ....

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

You have a little black cloud as well do ya.

Compared to what youve had to deal w/ its just mechanical stuff. Buggered up the hood on the Monte in Dec'.

1 hour ago, gobills said:

Thats a real kick in the nuts.  Being such a brutal season already.  Hopefully you can get a rental.

Just pulling the plug on the trip. Not sure how the saddlebags would work on a rental & then getting the sled home after...

Bro had a suggestion about my friend the trucker. Hes in Timmins on a daily basis. Talked to him & Timmins is on the load side of his run. After Cochrane he could've done it.

As a headsup for guys, one towing outfit here in town quoted me 700 bucks to run the sled to KL. No thanks. I can afford the gas & bus fare.

11 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Compared to what youve had to deal w/ its just mechanical stuff. Buggered up the hood on the Monte in Dec'.

Just pulling the plug on the trip. Not sure how the saddlebags would work on a rental & then getting the sled home after...

Bro had a suggestion about my friend the trucker. Hes in Timmins on a daily basis. Talked to him & Timmins is on the load side of his run. After Cochrane he could've done it.

As a headsup for guys, one towing outfit here in town quoted me 700 bucks to run the sled to KL. No thanks. I can afford the gas & bus fare.

We had success with going to the Truck Stop (In Timmins the Esso at west end) and just ask any drivers coming out if they are going past (in your case) Kirkland  and could you grab a ride to McPhersons. For us it was in Hearst and first driver asked gave our guy a ride to the truckstop across from Pinewood Park in N.Bay where our truck was. He left Hearst just before noon and was back in the room in Cochrane by 1AM. 

10 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We had success with going to the Truck Stop (In Timmins the Esso at west end) and just ask any drivers coming out if they are going past (in your case) Kirkland  and could you grab a ride to McPhersons. For us it was in Hearst and first driver asked gave our guy a ride to the truckstop across from Pinewood Park in N.Bay where our truck was. He left Hearst just before noon and was back in the room in Cochrane by 1AM. 

Good thinking. Im at the Bon Air so Id have get a cab over there and ask around. Bus terminal is next door, so it's pretty easy. Bus rolls into KL at 10:30.

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

Hey, Kris...so sorry you had to bail out on our 5-day tour, when we got to Timmins.  Hope your sled "recovery" from there to KL and then home goes well, and the repair isn't too expensive.  We'll miss you the rest of the way.

28 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

Hey, Kris...so sorry you had to bail out on our 5-day tour, when we got to Timmins.  Hope your sled "recovery" from there to KL and then home goes well, and the repair isn't too expensive.  We'll miss you the rest of the way.

Take lots of pics and I'll get someone to photoshop me into them. LOL.

Like I've said before, "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it."

Crap happens and I'll just see what caused it. 

The 1 positive was it didn't happen north if Hearst & Id be lioking for a longer bus ride back. 

Then again Denis might've convinced me to trade it in on a new sled. He does need a REV chassis for parts. LOL

Sorry about your luck Kris. A few years ago when I had a problem with me sled I Just ran ahead in the truck to the next stop. Hell I was of  anyways. I made the best out of the situation.

Sorry about your luck Kris. 

We had a sled die in New Liskard. Took it to a shop and they could do nothing about it as there was a hole in the piston. Shop guy suggested calling CAA and tell them you have a 4x4 truck that needs a tow. A local tow truck guy from Cobalt came out and towed the sled to North Bay. Just have to find a willing tow truck operator who is willing to bend the rules a little. On a side note i have always complained to CAA as to why they don't offer this type of service. If I bring my sled to a accessible location they should pick it up like a motor cycle or bicycle which they currently offer the service for. 

Sorry to hear about your trip. Sounds a little like mine last year. 55km into the trip my main shock spring and another spring broke. Sled was sitting on the ground like a lowrider. Luckily we had a spare sled back at the cottage and a friend to pick me up.

Jerry

7 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

We had a sled die in New Liskard. Took it to a shop and they could do nothing about it as there was a hole in the piston. Shop guy suggested calling CAA and tell them you have a 4x4 truck that needs a tow. A local tow truck guy from Cobalt came out and towed the sled to North Bay. Just have to find a willing tow truck operator who is willing to bend the rules a little. On a side note i have always complained to CAA as to why they don't offer this type of service. If I bring my sled to a accessible location they should pick it up like a motor cycle or bicycle which they currently offer the service for. 

Sorry to hear about your trip. Sounds a little like mine last year. 55km into the trip my main shock spring and another spring broke. Sled was sitting on the ground like a lowrider. Luckily we had a spare sled back at the cottage and a friend to pick me up.

Jerry

CAA won't cover atv's either. They only want to cover on road vechicles, it seems. 

4 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

We had a sled die in New Liskard. Took it to a shop and they could do nothing about it as there was a hole in the piston.

Jerry

Ha - useless people. In the NWT one time this Inuit guy who burnt a hole in his piston, fired off a shot gun shell, hammered the brass end into the hole, buttoned it up and rode home.

Archived