Ride suggestions

4mysled

Originally planned to do the Ran Tour, not going to happen. Riding with my son, 15 year old. Would like to maybe do Kirkland Lake , drive up Thursday, ride up to either Cochrane or Timmins on Friday, run to other  on Saturday and maybe down to Iroquois falls and spend the night there and then back to Kirkland lake on Sunday early morning and drive home. I did the GRT , back in 1998 so it has been awhile. For those of you that ride the area, would this be comfortable ride for my son. We have not done anything longer than 80KM this year due to the conditions, I just do not want to wear him out the first real long trip. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We do not ride fast , at least yet. Any suggestions on places to stay would also be helpful. 

Thanks

There are some long stretches of nothing but the great outdoors between Kirkland and the Cochrane, even Timmins is a good distance. You maybe better to pick a town and ride the local trails that way you can take cut your ride short or even brake the ride up into morning and afternoon ride. 

We are in KL this weekend and I know rooms are booking fast ,lots of nice loops around Kirkland lake to test things out ,suppose to be real cold this upcoming weekend ,

13 hours ago, 4mysled said:

Originally planned to do the Ran Tour, not going to happen. Riding with my son, 15 year old. Would like to maybe do Kirkland Lake , drive up Thursday, ride up to either Cochrane or Timmins on Friday, run to other  on Saturday and maybe down to Iroquois falls and spend the night there and then back to Kirkland lake on Sunday early morning and drive home. I did the GRT , back in 1998 so it has been awhile. For those of you that ride the area, would this be comfortable ride for my son. We have not done anything longer than 80KM this year due to the conditions, I just do not want to wear him out the first real long trip. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We do not ride fast , at least yet. Any suggestions on places to stay would also be helpful. 

Thanks

4mysled, a first day trip from Kirkland Lake to either Timmins or to Cochrane and return is approx. a 400 km. ride. Doable but a long trip for first real ride of the year for both of you and your sleds IMHO. As has been mentioned above, getting rooms should be priority with the number of southerners heading up to ride.

For places to stay check Revrnd's  site:     http://www.sleddersworld.com/?page_id=82

Have a great trip and make some memories.

thanks everyone. Booked at the Comfort inn for Thursday night , then Auberge in Iroquois falls Friday and Sat. Figured if the little guy gets too tired it is a good place to ride to and  stay for Friday then on Saturday do a  days ride to Cochrane or Timmins and back to the hotel in Iroquois. We ride cats, mine is green his is orange, if you see us say hi, take care and happy trails. 

We finally got a decent ride in. It was COLD. Had a great time. Left from Kirkland Lake on Friday morning and rode up to Iroquois Falls, very snowmobile friendly town. Decent hotel, with a heated garage first come first serve and it holds 6 sleds in total. Had a bit of scary moment near Matheson. We were riding the trail, wide open long trail with a 90 degree turn. We were not going that fast, however my son caught an edge left by the groomer with one of his skis as he was making his turn, I watched with my heart in my throat, as his machine started to lift up, he was able to kick back down and jumped off. Scary for me to watch, but he was o.k. The trails are so wide that the groomer does half the trail on one pass the other on the next pass, but it left a hard packed snow lip. Saturday went up to Cochrane for a visit to the polar bear sanctuary and the snowmobile museum, and then back to the hotel in Iroquois Falls. Sunday back to Kirkland lake. Met some great people and had some good chats with them. Hopefully making it an annual trip. 

1 hour ago, 4mysled said:

We finally got a decent ride in. It was COLD. Had a great time. Left from Kirkland Lake on Friday morning and rode up to Iroquois Falls, very snowmobile friendly town. Decent hotel, with a heated garage first come first serve and it holds 6 sleds in total. Had a bit of scary moment near Matheson. We were riding the trail, wide open long trail with a 90 degree turn. We were not going that fast, however my son caught an edge left by the groomer with one of his skis as he was making his turn, I watched with my heart in my throat, as his machine started to lift up, he was able to kick back down and jumped off. Scary for me to watch, but he was o.k. The trails are so wide that the groomer does half the trail on one pass the other on the next pass, but it left a hard packed snow lip. Saturday went up to Cochrane for a visit to the polar bear sanctuary and the snowmobile museum, and then back to the hotel in Iroquois Falls. Sunday back to Kirkland lake. Met some great people and had some good chats with them. Hopefully making it an annual trip. 

What was the name of the place you stayed in Iroquois Falls? Was there a restaurant there or close to it? Thanks in advance.

Auberge Inn. Nice little place, very basic. They have wrapped muffins and coffee and some fresh fruit in the morning. Decent price, 119 per night. As for food, nothing in the motel, but a short ride, if want, or a 15 min. walk to a few choices. We had Chinese one night and a local diner the other. Both were good. There is also a Timmies on the trail into town. Great place to stay and ride as it gives you options Cochrane one way, Timmins the other. You can do both in a day, but we were out for an easy ride taking in the sights etc. 

30 minutes ago, 4mysled said:

Auberge Inn. Nice little place, very basic. They have wrapped muffins and coffee and some fresh fruit in the morning. Decent price, 119 per night. As for food, nothing in the motel, but a short ride, if want, or a 15 min. walk to a few choices. We had Chinese one night and a local diner the other. Both were good. There is also a Timmies on the trail into town. Great place to stay and ride as it gives you options Cochrane one way, Timmins the other. You can do both in a day, but we were out for an easy ride taking in the sights etc. 

Good to hear about Auberge Inn and Iroquois Falls, as we will be starting from there in a couple of weeks.

Archived