Pembroke?

zoso

Updates may be slow maybe since they say its an "old boys club" these old boys don't know their way around computers so finding someone to do the updates is a pain to them. No offence to older people as many know how to use a computer. Just saying, the volunteer base is small for some areas if not all areas and help is needed.

10 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

Updates may be slow maybe since they say its an "old boys club" these old boys don't know their way around computers so finding someone to do the updates is a pain to them. No offence to older people as many know how to use a computer. Just saying, the volunteer base is small for some areas if not all areas and help is needed.

I think you are not correct in your assumption although I am 70 years old and do know my way around computers and social media.

The “old boys club” in each Club are usually the ones Grooming and wrenching as well as holding many of the Club Director positions.

All that is needed from the Club is a boiler plate list of the Club trails with individual status that is emailed to the District for inputting into the OFSC ITG.

The Old Boys just advise the designated Club Volunteer of the info to send along to the District.

It is not complicated but it needs someone to make a decision on each trail status and send the email.

Most Years there are very few changes during the season but this year the trail status has changed frequently due to weather and marginal conditions

Current updates becomes more of a problem if this occurs on the weekend when ITG revisions are not being made by some Districts.

42 minutes ago, KCC said:

Let's not forget we are all volunteers! Even the ones reporting updates to the district office.  So if you are not happy then step up and volunteer for your local club!

exactly... too often I hear people say "why are you not out doing YOUR JOB"

37 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Just to continue this topic a little further, are there many Districts that actually update Trail Status on the weekend?

I presume some Managers/Designated persons could do it from home if they were so inclined to do so.

There likely are some that do but it is not a requirement. I guess it all comes down to the volunteers and the time they have available to get out and make an assessment. I know our trails are updated by one of our volunteers contacting the district office to get it updated.

8 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

There likely are some that do but it is not a requirement. I guess it all comes down to the volunteers and the time they have available to get out and make an assessment.

I was thinking more of the paid staff person(s) at the District and whether some Districts require them to update upon receipt of a change in trail status.

As you say, some may do that but likely not a requirement, just wondering which Districts do that.

2 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Just to continue this topic a little further, are there many Districts that actually update Trail Status on the weekend?

I presume some Managers/Designated persons could do it from home if they were so inclined to do so.

The Districts that get it do.

D9,5,3 and 15 from what I see as consistent. Other districts do update but not as consistent as said above.

I know there are some districts that dont want volunteers doing the updates and at the same time don't want to pay staff the over time to do weekend updates unless it's an emergency situation. 

45 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

The Districts that get it do.

D9,5,3 and 15 from what I see as consistent. Other districts do update but not as consistent as said above.

I know there are some districts that dont want volunteers doing the updates and at the same time don't want to pay staff the over time to do weekend updates unless it's an emergency situation. 

I guess I don't get what the big deal would be to have the Trail Coordinator from each club or another designated club volunteer do the updates in those districts that don't do it.. Should get quicker response time doing that I would think. That should be something the BOG should make sure is happening IMHO.

D4 does updates as required, regardless of day of the week.

13 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I guess I don't get what the big deal would be to have the Trail Coordinator from each club or another designated club volunteer do the updates in those districts that don't do it.. Should get quicker response time doing that I would think. That should be something the BOG should make sure is happening IMHO.

We have been asking that access for years in D1 with no success. 

Frustrating as a volunteer when we update on Friday evening.. after our real job.. and the  OFSC guide is updated Monday AM.  D1 does not work weekends.  Mon/Thurs is the norm with various real time updates based on extreme weather/events. 

Our club solution is to make our own visual map( via google) .. been at it for over a year.. almost ready to go.  It will also make updates very easy for the District as they just have to copy the visual to get our club data.  

Wow.. this thread went off topic. 

2 hours ago, largedaryl said:

Our club solution is to make our own visual map( via google) .. been at it for over a year.. almost ready to go. 

Actually the BEAST trail map was posted a few days ago.  It's a great idea!

http://www.thebeast.ca/?page_id=395

21 hours ago, KCC said:

Let's not forget we are all volunteers! Even the ones reporting updates to the district office.  So if you are not happy then step up and volunteer for your local club!

I am a relatively young guy, and I absolutely wish we could go back to the days of a paper map. As a club volunteer, you can't win. We have no way of knowing what every km of trail looks like on any given day, especially with temperature swings like we have had. You really can't win either....if you close a trail, people complain that they should be open, you leave a marginal trail as limited and people complain they should be closed. You finally get them green, and people complain that they aren't tabletop 24/7.....it can be frustrating.

It's unacceptable that trail conditions cannot be kept up to date. The club goes out and grooms a trail overnight and first thing in the morning it's table top smooth. The ITG shows it as green. I had a rough night last night and don't head out on the trails until just before noon. When I get out there the throttle jockeys have created massive moguls all along the trail. The corners have all been burned through and they're now bare dirt or ice.

Meanwhile the ITG shows green still. I expect it to be updated to show the real condition which is now yellow. Why aren't these people doing their jobs. :sarcasm_on-1:

Good news it snowing here!

The first priority should be ensuring the OFSC ITG is the best possible source of trail status.  That should mean frequent updating and this means weekends.

Many snowmobilers, including touring groups, have absolutely no idea who are the clubs in any particular area.  Even within a District many have no idea the names of the other 10-15 Clubs let alone which trails they look after.

We should not be promoting 200+ clubs going off on their own developing independent trail status maps.

No problem if the Club map mirrors the ITG.

22 hours ago, KCC said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment. That being said I believe there is a problem if the appropriate club volunteer(s) have trail updates for their club that they want to have updated on the ITG and are unable to due to limits placed on them at the District level.

I think it would be fine to allow the clubs to choose who can update, and that could include as many as they wish. Live on a trail, rode today, update it in a few minutes. This centralization of control is ludicrous, and detrimental. The OFSC has for the past decade seen a movement from within that is looking to remove any and all control from clubs, and have now succeeded in that end. It is now pretty much a dictatorship running with the efficiency of a liberal government.

5 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

We should not be promoting 200+ clubs going off on their own developing independent trail status maps.

No problem if the Club map mirrors the ITG.

Agree Brain not to create 200 club level maps,  but the D(district)  has to get the data somehow, and this is a win win in my books, easy to read, accurate and up to date as the volunteers can keep it. This club level map we(BEAST) have created is what the D  uses to update the ITG twice a week. It used to be a table on the club site, but now we made it visual.   Since we can't get the ITG updated in real time,  the next best thing is to make our own visual.

The ITG problem is simply a trust issue IMO(to not give out the D login to clubs) , and lack of technology on the software side. It each club was given an account AND could only edit their trails, we would be golden, at least in our club.  That takes software/database complexity and  user account management  ->  $     There is also back end logging of trail status/change dates for on trail  incident reporting.  Nothing is easy in the computer world. 

What's also unacceptable is the D manager changing trail status WITHOUT consulting the club.

Happening in D12 as I type.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

What's also unacceptable is the D manager changing trail status WITHOUT consulting the club.

I believe the District Manager is a hired position. If that is the case then the District Board is his boss and should be able to curtail that practice happening if they wish to do so.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Are the trails being rated:

1. Available when the Club recommends Limited or

2. being kept at Limited when Club recommends Available?

3 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Are the trails being rated:

1. Available when the Club recommends Limited or

2. being kept at Limited when Club recommends Available?

Club has NO say in status.

D12 is becoming worse than ninnybag and her laws

14 hours ago, soupkids said:

Club has NO say in status.

D12 is becoming worse than ninnybag and her laws

Is it correct to say that is because all of your District is within the Sudbury Trail Plan Grooming Association and they rely on their paid Operarors to provide assessment of each trail’s status?

5 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Is it correct to say that is because all of your District is within the Sudbury Trail Plan Grooming Association and they rely on their paid Operarors to provide assessment of each trail’s status?

As well as club input which they don't seem to do.

Archived