Port Loring

Basketcase

curious as to conditions too. was planning on going up this weekend, but backed out due to +4 tomorrow.

not sure there's much snow up there, but if they're green I am sure they are good as Argyle Riders are pretty good.

Not sure of parking either, can't think of anything off the top of my head. hope some one else chimes in for you.

its a bit of a ways to go for the day, so not really usually a concern I would imagine.

there's parking in south river and sundridge to the east. could ride from there to Jakes, do some loops and head back to south river?

would cut down on drive time too, depending on where you're coming from.

From what I know of a few guys going up is that the system is good. Lakes are solid from what I hear as well but I’m not a fan of lakes at any time. Don’t take my word for it though. Call the locals. I get on and get the hell off quick!! Call me chicken but i have a bad fear of drowning from going into a lake in full riding gear. Suck you down like a wet led zeppelin. The thought of it makes me feel for anyone who has ever gone through and down. I’m just a naturally empathetic guy too. Go ride and be safe!!! I’ll be buttoning up my sled finally this weekend so I can ride next next weekend hopefully. 

Near north snow drifters wont be grooming again until monday as per their facebook page. Lakes will be solid. How much snow did the area get this week? 

Trails kind of thin and icey in places. Recent ice storm. Plenty of lube, but beware of thin and icy patches particularly corners. Will update after rain tomorrow. N o pics..internet sucks in area and cell reception bad.

Thank you. Might try em on sunday if the weather cooperates.

Just got home. We parked on the side of the road going in from the west and picked up  the trail off the road there. 

Pretty awesome day. The trails were all great! Recently groomed with hardly any track, a great base and plenty of snow on to cover the ice for the most part. Some corners were a bit icier depending what trail you were on. Would go back again tomorrow if it weren’t 3hrs one way. Lots of trailers heading in while we were heading home. Not sure how they’ll hold up with the warmer weather this weekend. Maybe they’ll benefit from softening up. 

4 hours ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

From what I know of a few guys going up is that the system is good. Lakes are solid from what I hear as well but I’m not a fan of lakes at any time. Don’t take my word for it though. Call the locals. I get on and get the hell off quick!! Call me chicken but i have a bad fear of drowning from going into a lake in full riding gear. Suck you down like a wet led zeppelin. The thought of it makes me feel for anyone who has ever gone through and down. I’m just a naturally empathetic guy too. Go ride and be safe!!! I’ll be buttoning up my sled finally this weekend so I can ride next next weekend hopefully. 

I really think everyone riding the lakes should wear FXR floater gear or any other brand that has similar suits, I'm thinking of getting the Nebulus system as well. They could save your life if you happen to go in. 

Floater suits is great advice. My wife and I wear them and wouldn't be on all the ice that we typically do without them. In our case Mustang. The other part is like someone else posted. Go for a swim in your floater suit and gear to see what you can expect. 

I also recall hearing some time back about someone with floater pants and a regular jacket. NEVER do this. If you end up in the water the pants will flip you upside down putting your head under water.

wild bill usually has good deals on floater suits. If you ride the ice don't do it without a floater

Stay on marked lake trails in the Loring area. LOTS of current in the "lakes" around the area because most are connected or part of the French, Pickerel, Wolf river flows so there is current all over. Locals still run old school lifestyles and purposely visit open water areas for resources so there are plenty of tracks running directly to open water. Be careful what tracks you follow, then the land owner issues. A lof of tracks are made by land owners on their own land and then a tourist goes ripping through and creates problems. Its a noise issue mostly

Loud cans? Are the primary reason non sledders dont like sleds. Quiet is appreciated

15 hours ago, slomo said:

Trails kind of thin and icey in places. Recent ice storm. Plenty of lube, but beware of thin and icy patches particularly corners. Will update after rain tomorrow. N o pics..internet sucks in area and cell reception bad.

Watching the radar the rain didnt seem too bad. Cold front is coming thru and down to -5 tonight. Futurcast shows a little squall off georgian bay tonight. Wondering if Argyle riders will get the groomer out tonight as sundridge wont be back out until monday. An update this evening would be great slomo. Traffic could do some damage today. Really want to come up if its worth it. 

12 minutes ago, Steve F6 said:

Watching the radar the rain didnt seem too bad. Cold front is coming thru and down to -5 tonight. Futurcast shows a little squall off georgian bay tonight. Wondering if Argyle riders will get the groomer out tonight as sundridge wont be back out until monday. An update this evening would be great slomo. Traffic could do some damage today. Really want to come up if its worth it. 

Check in at the Northland this afternoon, get out early tomorrow? Plan?

Out around 7 am, back for some lunch...

Here you go - rode over to Dollars Lake - green  conditions? hmmm - not quite, more like p*ss yellowy green but rideable - some good spots, occasional rocks, , some down to grass short areas, branches etc. Rain had minimal effect - not much snow to start with though. Traffic light - motel not full. A few sleds at Jake's. Came back and circled a few of the AR(gyle) trails which are better and worth riding. I am no expert in the grooming knowledge, but it seems to me that no point grooming unless more snow. According to the IT map, more trails open to the east of here- will head there after lunch.

For the folks uneasy about water or lake crossing - might want to stay off the trail that runs in front of Tornado's lodge.

Better riding than was had in Mactier last weekend by comparison - no knock to the Six Star Club who did great work with what they had to work with.

More later.

I stay with friends in port sydney so we would trailer up to sundridge and go from there. Sounds better than sitting here looking at green grass.

57 minutes ago, Steve F6 said:

I stay with friends in port sydney so we would trailer up to sundridge and go from there. Sounds better than sitting here looking at green grass.

Let me know how the sundridge trails are as I may have to go there this week to get my fix...

2 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

Just got back in for the day - my opinion and a neighbour with an Arctic Cat needing kilometers toward 1st service - better off staying away this weekend. While the rain didn't do all that much damage, snow is heavy with moisture and trails are suffering - down to earth and rock in some places. Traffic has increased since this morning. Went out toward Restoule and turned back - no fun. Other fellow has headed easterly and gave up in that direction as well. If you desperately need a ride,  your results may vary. Snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow, but if no grooming takes place will be gloomy.

3 hours ago, crispy said:

Stay on marked lake trails in the Loring area. LOTS of current in the "lakes" around the area because most are connected or part of the French, Pickerel, Wolf river flows so there is current all over. Locals still run old school lifestyles and purposely visit open water areas for resources so there are plenty of tracks running directly to open water. Be careful what tracks you follow, then the land owner issues. A lof of tracks are made by land owners on their own land and then a tourist goes ripping through and creates problems. Its a noise issue mostly

Loud cans? Are the primary reason non sledders dont like sleds. Quiet is appreciated

Like Crispy says....stick to the stakes on the lakes and rivers and that IS strongly advised by the locals. There are spots that you will be running within a 100’ of open water current in a few places that I recall from being there a few years ago. Gets your blood and adrenaline going if you’re not used to seeing that kind of thing like a lot of southern guys that need to head north to ride. 

3 hours ago, slomo said:

Just got back in for the day - my opinion and a neighbour with an Arctic Cat needing kilometers toward 1st service - better off staying away this weekend. While the rain didn't do all that much damage, snow is heavy with moisture and trails are suffering - down to earth and rock in some places. Traffic has increased since this morning. Went out toward Restoule and turned back - no fun. Other fellow has headed easterly and gave up in that direction as well. If you desperately need a ride,  your results may vary. Snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow, but if no grooming takes place will be gloomy.

Thank you for the update. Lets hope we get a bit of snow tonight. My fear coming up was the sled traffic today. Gonna load the trailer and head somewhere north of port sydney tomorrow morning. Water dripping like crazy here. Mary lake is a sheet of water on top of ice. Sickening. Wondering how Sudbury faired today or east of nord bay toward mattawa. Gotta do a day trip somewhere now that im up here. 

Mattawa was amazing on Friday! Best ride of the season by far. However, yesterday bonfield, North bay and mattawa clubs took a bit of a hit, especially bonfield. Stay away from bonfield is my advice. Mattawa will sweet again once the groomers get out and move the snow around.

3 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Mattawa was amazing on Friday! Best ride of the season by far. However, yesterday bonfield, North bay and mattawa clubs took a bit of a hit, especially bonfield. Stay away from bonfield is my advice. Mattawa will sweet again once the groomers get out and move the snow around.

"Bit of a hit?"

Do you mean weather or traffic?

Weather wise, bonfield is shot, north bay trail A112A was sweet but after crossing the lakes it turned pretty crappy. Lakes were full of slush but will be hard and nasty now. Top A trail was a bit skimpy heading back towards Mattawa. Friday was mint in mattawa, rode down to stone cliffe and back with the girls. Trails were table top and once the groomers get back out in mattawa they will be near mint again

Agree on Bonfield being shot, we trailered to Stonecliffe Saturday morning, snowmobiled to Mattawa Golf 'N' Ski for lunch, and to Dinner Bell for the night.  Very thin snow in Bonfield, and the warm temp's Saturday didn't help.  Got cooler overnight and tightened things up too much...We tried to sled from Dinner Bell back to Stonecliffe this morning, but 3-4 km's out we had an overheated sled and two with sliders stuck to the track clips.  Had to hitch a ride by car to Stonecliffe to get the trucks & trailers, back to Dinner Bell to load the sleds and back home.

This winter has been disappointing to say the least...

Came out today from our camp. A lot of snow disappeared from yesterday to today. Lakes are glare ice, as is Tornados driveway .

8 hours ago, Spanky said:

Agree on Bonfield being shot, we trailered to Stonecliffe Saturday morning, snowmobiled to Mattawa Golf 'N' Ski for lunch, and to Dinner Bell for the night.  Very thin snow in Bonfield, and the warm temp's Saturday didn't help.  Got cooler overnight and tightened things up too much...We tried to sled from Dinner Bell back to Stonecliffe this morning, but 3-4 km's out we had an overheated sled and two with sliders stuck to the track clips.  Had to hitch a ride by car to Stonecliffe to get the trucks & trailers, back to Dinner Bell to load the sleds and back home.

This winter has been disappointing to say the least...

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I’m not too impressed with bonfield being open limited right now. They should be closed in more places than one. Clubs that keep trails open just to bring in a bit of revenue for the locals really get a bad name. I get it, it sucks for everyone, businesses & sledders and I’m more than happy to support local businesses and spend my money all over the place,  But had I known the trails would’ve been down to all rock and no base...I would’ve just stayed at the camp and packed it in for the weekend. When you pay that much money for a brand new sled and then overheat it, or burn your slides out and wreck your skid rails, or chew the crap out of your skis etc. It really leaves a bad taste in your mouth about ever returning and trusting those clubs again. I even messaged the bonfield club on Facebook to give them a friendly heads up about D rail line and a few other feeders that should be closed and I see it’s all still open limited....stay away from bonfield is my advice!

5 hours ago, Baylaker said:

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I’m not too impressed with bonfield being open limited right now. They should be closed in more places than one. Clubs that keep trails open just to bring in a bit of revenue for the locals really get a bad name. I get it, it sucks for everyone, businesses & sledders and I’m more than happy to support local businesses and spend my money all over the place,  But had I known the trails would’ve been down to all rock and no base...I would’ve just stayed at the camp and packed it in for the weekend. When you pay that much money for a brand new sled and then overheat it, or burn your slides out and wreck your skid rails, or chew the crap out of your skis etc. It really leaves a bad taste in your mouth about ever returning and trusting those clubs again. I even messaged the bonfield club on Facebook to give them a friendly heads up about D rail line and a few other feeders that should be closed and I see it’s all still open limited....stay away from bonfield is my advice!

I understand your frustration but at the same time I can't imagine that Bonfield has a large volunteer base to deal with patrolling the trails and updating the ITG. Open limited does indicate it ain't all good.

Archived