2 dead yesterday

Wildbill

Condolences to their family and friends. I hate hearing about this senseless loss of life and fell very sad for the loved ones they leave behind. 

My dad's on sturgeon lake. I sent him a text to see if he knows more but the middle of the lake is open. Why they hell would you be out there? Hitting a tree could be a million things, but ice deaths piss me off so much because there usually due to very stupid decisions

I've been on Sturgeon twice over the years just to get around Lindsay. Both guys I was w/ said unless I was w/ someone that was very familiar w/ the lake, to stay off.

Bill, where is Woods Bay?

12 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I've been on Sturgeon twice over the years just to get around Lindsay. Both guys I was w/ said unless I was w/ someone that was very familiar w/ the lake, to stay off.

Six mile lake?

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Woods Bay is where the Moon River eventually flows into. West of MacTier, at the end of the Healey Lake Road.

5 minutes ago, tricky said:

Woods Bay is where the Moon River eventually flows into. West of MacTier, at the end of the Healey Lake Road.

Funny you mention that I was just looking on Google Earth for something unrelated. When I zoomed out Woods Bay was labelled.

The video I have seen of the Sturgeon fatality shows the recovery team within a few feet of an open channel.

24 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

The video I have seen of the Sturgeon fatality shows the recovery team within a few feet of an open channel.

Yea my dad said it was close to the bridge for 24. There's always current there. The lake is also pretty narrow there and more like a river with the locks/spill over right there 

Rest In Peace fellow sledder and my condolences to all the families left behind. 

That area is always treacherous near Bobcaygeon.   It's a route that connects Pigeon Lake with Sturgeon Lake. Need to hug the shore.  100 yards out at night. tragic error. So sorry for everyone concerned. People on the internet saying things like "you can't fix stupid".  Horrible comment

4 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Six mile lake?

Six Mile Lake was another one. We were discussing it at our club meeting today. Although it didn't happen on an OFSC trail it involved a snowmobiler in our area. This was about a week ago. I believe it would have been quite slippery due to the thaw but since I wasn't out on the ice I don't know.

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/bracebridge-woman-dies-in-snowmobile-crash-near-six-mile-lake-1.3760197

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/woman-24-killed-in-snowmobile-collision-with-tree-in-ontario-cottage-country

(UPDATE: 12:30 p.m., Monday, Jan. 15: Police release more information regarding fatal snowmobile collision.) Police have confirmed that a snowmobile fatality took place over the weekend.

Katlyn Courtnage, 24, of Bracebridge was killed in a snowmobile accident on Saturday, Jan. 13.

Members of the Southern Georgian Bay Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police were dispatched to a report of a snowmobile crash at the north end of Six Mile Lake at 9:42 p.m. Attending officers along with members of the Muskoka Paramedic Services and Georgian Bay Fire Service attended the shoreline scene located near Sugar Loaf Lane, Georgian Bay Township.

Emergency responders located a lone snowmobile and a female operator near a tree along the shoreline that had been struck by the snowmobile. Courtnage succumbed to her injuries at the scene.

She was travelling with another snowmobile at the time of the crash, investigators are citing speed as a possible contributing factor in this crash which is being investigated by members of the Central Region Technical Collision Investigators.

Unfortunately a mistake on the lake caused a death that area can be ridden but you have to know the area go fast and.stay 60 ft off shore max with recent melt there was some areas that had more current erosion and it got bad rihjt at kenstone cottages . Wouldn't have caught me there right now . Rest of lake has 18 in ice

sad thing is, so many of these deaths all happen at night.  I wouldn't be caught running any lake I didn't have knowledge of after dark ever.   As for the woods lake tragedy it apparently happened on one of the last portages before woods bay. Very tight and twisty and  happened to a young local resident who live out on the islands   So sad. 

Reliable source informs me that the drowning victim was a 50 year old firefighter from Whitby area.  Leaves behind his wife and 3 highschool/university age children.  Apparently they had just bought the cottage in December.  So sad that unfamiliarity with the lake led to such a terrible life altering experience for the family.  Our thoughts are with them.

Condolensces to all the families. So unfortunate.

4 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

That area is always treacherous near Bobcaygeon.   It's a route that connects Pigeon Lake with Sturgeon Lake. Need to hug the shore.  100 yards out at night. tragic error. So sorry for everyone concerned. People on the internet saying things like "you can't fix stupid".  Horrible comment

A friend's in laws are on the east side of Bobcaygeon and years ago had a wet snowmobiler arrive @ their place after dark. His fellow sledder managed to reach shore on the other side.

And then you have Gannons Narrows between Pigeon & Buckhorn lakes.

1 hour ago, whits-end said:

Reliable source informs me that the drowning victim was a 50 year old firefighter from Whitby area.  Leaves behind his wife and 3 highschool/university age children.  Apparently they had just bought the cottage in December.  So sad that unfamiliarity with the lake led to such a terrible life altering experience for the family.  Our thoughts are with them.

This is a gut-wrenching, sad story. My thoughts and condolences to those he left behind. Such profound and unrelenting results from a miscalculated error. Every rider on this forum has made at least one potentially fatal error in all of our miles put in over the years. Rest in Peace fellow sledder - so very sorry you couldn't walk away ...

25 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

This is a gut-wrenching, sad story. My thoughts and condolences to those he left behind. Such profound and unrelenting results from a miscalculated error. Every rider on this forum has made at least one potentially fatal error in all of our miles put in over the years. Rest in Peace fellow sledder - so very sorry you couldn't walk away ...

This, is so true....some forget or choose to forget. I know I have, but am still here to remember the mistakes, that make you think two or three times about certain situations.

I was just lucky that things went my way vs. the wrong way!

Condolences to the families.

46 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Not just with sledding, we should count our blessings.  Sad story.

This is so sad. Sounds like a good family man.just bought a cottage for family. Probably clost to retirement as well.it is so true that most of us have made mistakes and got away with it.i have been through the ice twice and got out . It happens so effing fast.

Rest in Peace Brother Sledder

Archived