Abitibi Canyon

Bearman

Just FYI for all you sledders in the Polar Bear Club area of Cochrane from their FB tonight: 

Polar Bear Riders Snowmobile Club
Attention A103 Riders on the eastside there will be a dozer working on preparing a 2.2 km section of new trail tomorrow about 7 kms north of Gardiner Ferry crossing or the ice bridge. Once completed we will be blocking off access to the logging road diverting the snowmobile traffic onto the newly levelled trail. Pay attention to signage and ride slowly through the area in the future as it will be a bit rough until we get more snow and can start grooming it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, soupkids said:

Trail report as of today.

A trail to L103 beautiful.

East side of L103 is a little rough in places due to only being groomed a couple times.

West side to SRF is wicked fast.

A trail from SRF to kap is wicked flat and fast.

Glad you found some new trails. We would make a good directional pair.  Enjoy your ride and I will keep my eyes posted for L103 next time in area. 

6 hours ago, BruteMan said:

Just FYI for all you sledders in the Polar Bear Club area of Cochrane from their FB tonight: 

Polar Bear Riders Snowmobile Club
Attention A103 Riders on the eastside there will be a dozer working on preparing a 2.2 km section of new trail tomorrow about 7 kms north of Gardiner Ferry crossing or the ice bridge. Once completed we will be blocking off access to the logging road diverting the snowmobile traffic onto the newly levelled trail. Pay attention to signage and ride slowly through the area in the future as it will be a bit rough until we get more snow and can start grooming it.

It looks like the trail is done but not groomed yet

Canyon was pretty packed down as far as I went in.

If you want deep stuff head towards hearst, not many hills but its mighty deep up that way.

Lots of pipe line and pole lines.

We rode the Canyon today, on the way up West side there’s tons of fresh powder, we went quite far back in the hills and it’s been packed down. 

Nice to hear the great reports ,sleds are loaded up and ready for a early morn take off ,get there around 1 or 2 and a quick spin around the block 

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

we went quite far back in the hills and it’s been packed down. 

Did you go over the hills or around them ?  I'm too chicken $hit to climb them and wreck a sled.  I think hill 3 was the limit.

BP

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

Did you go over the hills or around them ?  I'm too chicken $hit to climb them and wreck a sled.  I think hill 3 was the limit.

BP

Over the first 3 then around the rest lol. 

If your running day trips in the area trailer in . go the north rd for a few miles ..  and ride the canyon out to base camp for a snack...then ride back thru the canyon..its about 1hr and 15 of a drive from the westway.. Or ride the hydro lines up to the canyon...go play and trail or hydro back out...its a fun area...

and yes there is a granny trail around the hills...

Logging rds seem to be fast here

20180119_152004.jpg

6 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

Logging rds seem to be fast here

20180119_152004.jpg

That must have been on a slow part of the trail.

Lol

Ya gotta love the effort Doo is putting into their Speedos....telling customers they're doing 110mph.

I always wonder how fast those Doos are going when I pass them on my Sidewinder.....Ha!!

3 hours ago, monte1214 said:

Ya gotta love the effort Doo is putting into their Speedos....telling customers they're doing 110mph.

Yes I know.  50 years ago they were talking to people on the moon, full duplex communication.  My '15 800 speedo is 10km/h optimistic at 90k, and 20 @ 180.  

I'm going to open a case with BRP because I'm sure there's a setting that can be manipulated somewhere, or there's an error in the calibration that has been made and no-one caught it.  I confirmed with my 2 gps and it's exactly 9/8 ratio for ind/actual.  Coincidentally, in 2008 the XP drive axle had 9 teeth, and my XS sled has 8 ..........

4 hours ago, monte1214 said:

I always wonder how fast those Doos are going when I pass them on my Sidewinder.....Ha!!

how fast does you arctic cat go? Ever checked the accuracy of the speedo? I know you can't look down cause you are going too fast, but when you have to slow down when  the trail gets a little bumpy, and with the inferior suspension you must have time? lol

6 minutes ago, barberch said:

how fast does you arctic cat go? Ever checked the accuracy of the speedo? I know you can't look down cause you are going too fast, but when you have to slow down when  the trail gets a little bumpy, and with the inferior suspension you must have time? lol

not with a gps but comparing my buddy's doo 850 indicating 114 mph I past him like he was sitting still indicating 116mph Accuracy on that doo is way out. My yamicats suspension is pretty good on the trails too. lol

Back on track with the thread......best place to test the speed Barberch will be on the West side of the canyon next week.

There'll be no bumps and no turns to worry about.....so I'll be golden!  Ha!!

7 hours ago, monte1214 said:

I hope you can with that power..:rotflmao:

11 hours ago, monte1214 said:

Only common sense will tell you that you should pass the Doo 800 or 850 you got 40 or 45 more HP.

Let's compare apples to apples! Not apples to oranges!

49 minutes ago, FIRE242 said:

Only common sense will tell you that you should pass the Doo 800 or 850 you got 40 or 45 more HP.

Let's compare apples to apples! Not apples to oranges!

Which is why I commented.....that Doo wasn’t going 180.  

Just saying. 

Archived