E-tec 2 reliability and Gen 4

signfan

9 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Thought they were great sleds. I had a 1998 formula z 583, that held up really well. 

Had 98 formula z 670, loved it. Probably my favorite sled I owned. Bro had the mxz 670 and mine was faster than his on the lake. Probably why I liked it so much, as he has always had faster sleds otherwise.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

That is true with doo's think mine is 42 litres I believe. Etec 600 has a perfect range of 350 km's. Went 114 km's on Tuesday on 11 litres of fuel in a variety of trail conditions. 900 has been disappointing used 14 litres in same distance on Tuesday. Was suppose to be better then etec on fuel. Last year it almost  ran out of fuel when etec had above a quarter tank left (same tank size I believe , that was after 250 km's). 

Not only is the 900 "supposed" to be better than the 600 E-TEC on fuel, but it actually IS on average, based on our experience in a wide variety of trail conditions and speeds...our last 600 E-TEC (a 2013) had a season-average fuel consumption rate of 11 litres/100 KM, whereas our 2016 900 has averaged out to a seasonal rate of 10 litres/100 kms.  That 900 advantage of a lower average gas cost per km gets even greater when you factor in the cost of the pricey synthetic 2-stroke oil you are burning with every tank of gas, plus the use of premium fuel on the E-TEC (highly recommended) whereas the 900 can live happily on regular fuel.  Granted, the 4-stroke has the added cost of a season-end oil change, but that is more than offset by the cost of 2-stroke oil for the E-TEC, assuming your total mileage per season is in the typical 2,500 to 3,000 km range.  

Clearly, your experience has been different than ours...maybe the clutching or belt deflection needs attention on your 900.

Allow me to move this thread even further off topic.  To better help me understand the obsession with snowmobile fuel economy,  who here drives a Prius to work 200 days a year instead of a Ram, F150, Sierra or Silverado ?

Maybe more annual savings here.

BP

15 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Allow me to move this thread even further off topic.  To better help me understand the obsession with snowmobile fuel economy,  who here drives a Prius to work 200 days a year instead of a Ram, F150, Sierra or Silverado ?

Maybe more annual savings here.

BP

I avoid using my truck when I do not need a truck, and perhaps that is why I average under 10k km's of use per year on it. I prefer a sled that burns less fuel, but it is not at the top of the list. I think for most sledders range is a real consideration and they will look at that, mpg, most do not care too much. All sleds made today have a decent range except a couple, the yamaha Nytro comes to mind as a modern sled with limited range. I think the average sledder in Ontario ride 2000km per season. If you are average and you get use 3 liters less fuel per 100km, you have saved 60 liters of fuel across the entire season. 

Interesting video. I like the booster injector idea coupled with the lower drag magneto. Can anyone attest to how razor sharp the throttle response is - compared to everything else out there ? Also, I am paranoid of all the new motors with computer controlled oiling - I'm worried that the EPA ratings are just not enough for bullet - proof motors. I really want to be wrong on this, but ...

4 hours ago, snowchopper said:

The cracked bulkheads were from the mountain guys hitting hidden rocks and trees. No reports have been made on flatland sleds(groomed trails). And your buddies that bent their tunnels must think they were Blair Morgan back in the day.:lol:  

8DBFABBC-BD6A-4757-995A-32B84073A821.thumb.png.82a2c436c1c355acace340cce775ebca.png

Dave McClures sled. No broken bulk head riding downed trees and rocks. Nuff said. 

4 hours ago, Crow said:

Maybe, just maybe, this says more about the 3 friends than the sleds? 

Seeing how some machines are treated and abused, can't always blame the equipment. Some people can bust an anvil.

I had a guy once tell me he was able to stretch a slide hammer shaft. Ya...ok. What it says is that if the sled can’t handle 3 average guys riding like many guys do while having fun is.... fill in the blanks. 

4 hours ago, irREVerent said:

Not only is the 900 "supposed" to be better than the 600 E-TEC on fuel, but it actually IS on average, based on our experience in a wide variety of trail conditions and speeds...our last 600 E-TEC (a 2013) had a season-average fuel consumption rate of 11 litres/100 KM, whereas our 2016 900 has averaged out to a seasonal rate of 10 litres/100 kms.  That 900 advantage of a lower average gas cost per km gets even greater when you factor in the cost of the pricey synthetic 2-stroke oil you are burning with every tank of gas, plus the use of premium fuel on the E-TEC (highly recommended) whereas the 900 can live happily on regular fuel.  Granted, the 4-stroke has the added cost of a season-end oil change, but that is more than offset by the cost of 2-stroke oil for the E-TEC, assuming your total mileage per season is in the typical 2,500 to 3,000 km range.  

Clearly, your experience has been different than ours...maybe the clutching or belt deflection needs attention on your 900.

I have been running high octane in 900 too, since it sits for weeks on end, want to stay away from ethanol blended fuels and storage issues it has.  I don't worry about extra 20 cents a litre. The mileage you are seeing is about what I expected to get. Seems start and stopping here in the south, hurts four stroke fuel economy. Have to get it up north later in season and see what it can really get. 

25 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Interesting video. I like the booster injector idea coupled with the lower drag magneto. Can anyone attest to how razor sharp the throttle response is - compared to everything else out there ? Also, I am paranoid of all the new motors with computer controlled oiling - I'm worried that the EPA ratings are just not enough for bullet - proof motors. I really want to be wrong on this, but ...

My zr with the ctec 600 has an electronic oil pump and yes that does worry me a bit. Since new i've got 712 kms on it. I burned exactly 1 bag of ctec oil which is 1.4 litres and this includes first 20 min at 15:1 then 1hr 40 min at 40:1 for break in. Another thing with the ctec oil is its unbelievably thin and almost clear in transparency. Now that its broke in i can set new oil measurments but it sure dont seem like much oil considering whats going on under the hood and compared to the oil thirsty suzuki in my firecat. I second the question of epa emissions and reliability issues with newer injected 2 strokes. Who else has a cat ctec 600? How much oil u burning? Just curious

2 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

Your right thumb is connected directly to the track.  Push more,  spin more.

Period. 

:icon_naughty:

9 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Your right thumb is connected directly to the track.  Push more,  spin more.

Period. 

:icon_naughty:

Nice ! Like a high revvin' short stroke small block with a race fly wheel. :)

2 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

My zr with the ctec 600 has an electronic oil pump and yes that does worry me a bit. Since new i've got 712 kms on it. I burned exactly 1 bag of ctec oil which is 1.4 litres and this includes first 20 min at 15:1 then 1hr 40 min at 40:1 for break in. Another thing with the ctec oil is its unbelievably thin and almost clear in transparency. Now that its broke in i can set new oil measurments but it sure dont seem like much oil considering whats going on under the hood and compared to the oil thirsty suzuki in my firecat. I second the question of epa emissions and reliability issues with newer injected 2 strokes. Who else has a cat ctec 600? How much oil u burning? Just curious

The Cat 600 c-tec has a great reputation for longevity so far. And that is pretty normal for oil consumption. I believe O figured mine out to something like 70 or 80:1 fuel/oil ratio.

59 minutes ago, Zertrider said:

The Cat 600 c-tec has a great reputation for longevity so far. And that is pretty normal for oil consumption. I believe O figured mine out to something like 70 or 80:1 fuel/oil ratio.

When you think about it, that is amazing. Technology has come a very long way in two strokes. 80 to 1 is only burning 12.5 ml per liter of fuel That is 2 ml less than a tablespoon.

Video of a broken bulkhead from hitting a rock with the ski.  No bent "A" arms but broken bulkhead casting.

Whadya expect from a sled with that much pink on it ? :)

13 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

I had the chance to ride a 2017 Mxz X 850 last year. The power delivery was very linear almost four stroke like. Seem to make power at all rpms.Not like the old 800 etec which i found it only seem to have a lot Jam when you had the flipper on/near the bar. I highly doubt the throttle response is no better then any other manufacturer out there. Probably just a marketing/sales tactic. Brp stated oil consumption was supposed to be way down compared to the old 800 etec when the 850 came out. But in the end Brp did not change the oil consumption. Brp said they didn't change the consumption for reliability reasons which imo is good.I hear you on the computer controlled oiling. The Epa has a lot of pull/say on how the manufacturers build/control their emissions.   

My local riding pal JC has one. 

Dang, that thing flies off the line. Some teething issues, So far, dealer installed bits have had issues. 

It's almost past the break in. 

Hey iq im checking out the g4 a little and im curious how you would compare it to your 1200.Im still getting use to mine and really like it .Wind protection and engine noise im most interested in .What made you chose 129s over the reni .I would sooner be out riding then reading about sleds but cant change the weather ,thanks Al

16 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Video of a broken bulkhead from hitting a rock with the ski.  No bent "A" arms but broken bulkhead casting.

Seems like a very honest & non bias video of a couple real issues......just too bad to hear about them.

Archived