Owen Sound, Wiarton, Tobermory Condtions

oldesledupes

Just wondering how the Northern District 9 snow base held up through the thaw?

We had planned to head to Owen Sound/Wiarton next Friday, just wanted to know if they lost everything.

Conditions up there last weekend were amazing.

Thanks!

On 2018-01-13 at 10:15 AM, Crawdaddy said:

We still have snow. I'm just a bit north of pike bay and on our lawn we have about a foot of hard packed snow with some fluff on top. I'm guessing the fields and low bushes will have alot of water lying so that's probably the biggest issue but the base is holding up. hope this helps.

Thanks so next mild spell hitting next weekend is going to be knife in coffin for a few weeks? Wait and see what happens. Sucks. 

So maybe after next warm up spell and fresh snow, could drop in Lions head and ride to tub and back? The gas station there has stage parking available.  

Looks good ,heading up that way  this  weekend :D

1 hour ago, wrightonalan said:

Looks good ,heading up that way  this  weekend :D

Hopefully don't get rained out. Saturday might be ok who knows. Looks like temps will stay down after next Monday. 

11 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

It won't kill the trail base but it will add to more flooded trails. It would take a monsoon to kill the base in the bases in the penninsula bushes. The fields are still flooded. Here's some pics from that tiny bit of yellow near the tub- smooth as glass.

20180114_095613.jpg

20180113_112600.jpg

Holy crap Crawdaddy.  I had no idea there was still a lot of snow that way.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm looks like I better see if my sister has some room available at her place.  You made my day!

6 hours ago, Crawdaddy said:

Shitcha, im glad i could make your day!!!! You guys should do it for sure....even if we do get a bit of precip it could fall as snow and if it's rain it anit going to add up to much...I've done many runs in plus temps to Tobermory and the trails stay firmer longer than one would think-there's enough shade and very little traffic. It was 2014 or 15 (or both) when they stayed well into April...I think it was around 420 when they finally called it a season. 

I love that area.  I can't escape until next week.  Keep me posted.  PLEASE

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2018 at 10:59 AM, Crawdaddy said:

It won't kill the trail base but it will add to more flooded trails. It would take a monsoon to kill the base in the bases in the penninsula bushes. The fields are still flooded. Here's some pics from that tiny bit of yellow near the tub- smooth as glass.

20180114_095613.jpg

20180113_112600.jpg

Hows it looking up there .Do you think trails will open this weekend,thanks al

Thank you  .i was hoping to go to bbq this weekend 

thanks ,already loaded and heading up tomorrow nite ,cant wait.

Hoping for a good march for a change. Looks like have to go a fair ways up to drop now. 

Edited by Viperules700

Trails were awesome  around tober yesterday, volunteers did a great job getting trails ready for this weekend. A added bonus was the bbq they put on at mt trout camp .nice to meet some of the tobermory club members.we put on almost  200 km ,which is quite a bit for this area .thanks al

• Like 1

we never made it down that far ,did b loop and 108 down to about miller lake and then back up ,good snow cover on all that section .

• 2 years later...

B110 rail line now limited from owen sound to Dundalk 

Hope the rain forecast Friday shows up as snow 

Edited by Sledguy74
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Hopefully the forecast for tonight and tomorrow is more snow then rain.

Sure hope so

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend will mark the 50th anniversary my parents and their friends took the trek from Owen Sound to Tobermory. 
The story made it to newspaper and this picture was taken in Tobermory when they got there. 
I cannot imagine riding on a 1971 skidoo 440 with two adults that far

no trails back them just used cottage roads and hydro line. One of the group worked for Ontario hydro and know where to get gas and oil for the trek up and back. A hotel owner opened up some rooms for them as it would normally be closed for the season 

BC5AC579-F866-4F66-8514-41D02850BB6E.jpeg

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

This weekend will mark the 50th anniversary my parents and their friends took the trek from Owen Sound to Tobermory. 
The story made it to newspaper and this picture was taken in Tobermory when they got there. 

no trails back them just used cottage roads and hydro line. One of the group worked for Ontario hydro and know where to get gas and oil for the trek up and back. A hotel owner opened up some rooms for them as it would normally be closed for the season 

awesome

44 minutes ago, Sledguy74 said:

Great story and picture.

wow   i feel like a wimp in comparison 

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

wow   i feel like a wimp in comparison 

I rode from Elmira to Tobermory new years weekend in 1995 with two buddies, 286 miles one way on a 1987 Indy 600

it was one long day and I was never so sore and tired in my life

but at least I had some suspension lol

pretty impressed with what they did in 71

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 8:14 AM, Sledguy74 said:

I remember seeing this locally, some of them were people I know...which ones are your parents?

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2021 at 5:11 PM, Christy said:

I remember seeing this locally, some of them were people I know...which ones are your parents?

they are the ones in the middle

• Thanks 1