Wingham to Collingwood

oldesledupes

Hello fellow sledders, just wondering if anyone has ever ran from Wingham to Collingwood and how long it took them?

Also anyone that has ridden up in District 9 over the last couple of days how are the conditions ?

6 minutes ago, oldesledupes said:

Hello fellow sledders, just wondering if anyone has ever ran from Wingham to Collingwood and how long it took them?

Also anyone that has ridden up in District 9 over the last couple of days how are the conditions ?

Where do you plan to park? That is always my issue. 

I would take a day I would think if you go to Owen sound first then take b trail. 

22 minutes ago, oldesledupes said:

I know a number of years ago we talked to some American's in Blyth about 2:30PM. They were on their way to Collingwood for the night. That was before GPS was around. We ran into them the next day in Palmerston and they told us that they arrived in Collingwood about 1 AM in the morning. Not sure of the route they took.

18 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I know a number of years ago we talked to some American's in Blyth about 2:30PM. They were on their way to Collingwood for the night. That was before GPS was around. We ran into them the next day in Palmerston and they told us that they arrived in Collingwood about 1 AM in the morning. Not sure of the route they took.

When all GREEN it’s probably a nice 150 mile 5-6 hr ride .

Wingham trails just opened up in last 24 hrs, and can’t comment how they are this early in the season.

if you plan on staying for the night - go for it!

We have lots of blowing snow (and road closures along the lake - but inland shouldn’t be that bad with the blowing snow)

(note - when all Green - I rode from Kincardine to Midland in under 8 hours for lunch, and then back home - long day!)

5 hours ago, oldesledupes said:

should be able to do wingham to collingwood in 4 to 5 hrs, 6 if you take your timeB)

4 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Agree with ecarnell, allow 5-6 hours to get to Collingwood. Then allow 2 more hours to figure out how to get to your destination in Collingwood.

Not a sled friendly town to navigate.

That's not true.  Myself and a crew of buddies stake Collingwood, it's gotten better.  Just be mindful that the trails in town are SHARED - by dog walkers, hikers, etc, so please slow down,. don't go zooming by them.  Also cops tend to be out, as long as you're behaving, they just want to see your paperwork and they'll leave you on your way.  The by-law is 20km/h around town, as long as you are respectful of them, they are pretty good.   

View the OFSC maps.

If you're coming off the B trail (depending on where you're coming from), either take 703 or 704 to Collingwood.  Eventually you'll hit the 703/704 intersection (when you're in collingwood), continue on 703, it'll take you right in to the main strip.  There's a  Comfort Inn within 100 m of the 703 trail.

Lots of food, some of our club sponsors are Montana's which is off the 703, also Kelsey's further inward, is off the 703.  Check on our website if you're visiting.  www.bluemountainsnowdrifters.com

51 minutes ago, cds13ca said:

That's not true.  Myself and a crew of buddies stake Collingwood, it's gotten better.  Just be mindful that the trails in town are SHARED - by dog walkers, hikers, etc, so please slow down,. don't go zooming by them.  Also cops tend to be out, as long as you're behaving, they just want to see your paperwork and they'll leave you on your way.  The by-law is 20km/h around town, as long as you are respectful of them, they are pretty good.   

View the OFSC maps.

If you're coming off the B trail (depending on where you're coming from), either take 703 or 704 to Collingwood.  Eventually you'll hit the 703/704 intersection (when you're in collingwood), continue on 703, it'll take you right in to the main strip.  There's a  Comfort Inn within 100 m of the 703 trail.

Lots of food, some of our club sponsors are Montana's which is off the 703, also Kelsey's further inward, is off the 703.  Check on our website if you're visiting.  www.bluemountainsnowdrifters.com

Thank-you that is help ful. Any other higher end motels trail accessible? 

11 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Thank-you that is help ful. Any other higher end motels trail accessible? 

There's a Day's Inn in behind Metro.  With all the snow, you could sneak into there through the plaza parking lots.  

https://goo.gl/maps/722SHcNxBc32

To get there, the 703 trail crosses Mountain Road (1st Street) - you can see it in the google map, the dotted line on the left, if you hang a right at Mt. Road (there's a road bridge to get across the river), then cut right into Cambridge Street where you see Walmart, you can get into the back of Day's Inn.

There's also a more "motel" style place called Luxury Inn off Main Street.

https://goo.gl/maps/V2sqNgomuTH2

The 703 trail again, is to the north of that, (the broken line), you can hang a right at Elm street, when you see Wendy's, the Luxury Inn is right across the street.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for all the replies!

We stayed in Collingwood several years ago and stayed at the Georgian Bay Hotel and Conference Centre and found it extremely difficult getting to and from the trail. We did get stopped by the police and checked our papers and let us go again.

We saw the Georgian trail but did not dare to ride on it because we were not sure if sleds were allowed. So my question is whether sleds are allowed or not on the Georgian Trail?

Thanks,

15 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

We stayed in Collingwood several years ago and stayed at the Georgian Bay Hotel and Conference Centre and found it extremely difficult getting to and from the trail. We did get stopped by the police and checked our papers and let us go again.

We saw the Georgian trail but did not dare to ride on it because we were not sure if sleds were allowed. So my question is whether sleds are allowed or not on the Georgian Trail?

Thanks,

Yes, the georgian trail is a big no no.  There are signs posted, and it's in the bylaws.  No snowmobiles on the georgian trail.  Too bad, it would be an amazing link between Collingwood and Thornbury though!

We don't have an ofsc trail to the Georgian Bay Hotel any more.  We used to years ago, but then more and more homes went up along the trail (meaning more an more complaints all the time from the residents)  so eventually that trail closed.   It took at lot of our man-hours to maintain that swampy trail, and the hotel didn't sponsor us or help us so we stopped wasting our time / energy and volunteer hours.

I ride up here all the time, and know the area very well, if you have questions, let me know if I can help out.

There is trailer parking down by Birch Street by the water docks (where the boaters park in the summer).  https://goo.gl/maps/DFZ9G3yJTFo

Trail 703 starts / ends there (it's the broken line on the map)

OK thanks. My plans were to just avoid Collingwood; since you say there is parking near the trail then I may try and return again to ride in the area. I really enjoyed the trails just didn't like the fact they are not sled friendly. I guess its a ski town and that's enough for their economy.

trails around collingwood are amazing,like many i steered away from going into town.

19 minutes ago, wrightonalan said:

trails around collingwood are amazing,like many i steered away from going into town.

over the years, they've gotten better, imo.  there are tonnes of sleds here in town, we've gotten lots of businesses on board for sponsorship, I think as long as people are respectful (i) stay on the marked trail, (ii) respect the 20km/h limit esp around hikers etc, and (iii) if you have pipes on your sled, don't even bother coming into town

check out our website www.bluemountainsnowdrifters.com  click on TOURISM and at the bottom, be sure to visit our sponsors if you're around the area.  Happy riding!

Where is the best riding in D9 up that way? Sauble, Wiarton or Collingwood ?

10 hours ago, cds13ca said:

Yes, the georgian trail is a big no no.  There are signs posted, and it's in the bylaws.  No snowmobiles on the georgian trail.  Too bad, it would be an amazing link between Collingwood and Thornbury though!

We don't have an ofsc trail to the Georgian Bay Hotel any more.  We used to years ago, but then more and more homes went up along the trail (meaning more an more complaints all the time from the residents)  so eventually that trail closed.   It took at lot of our man-hours to maintain that swampy trail, and the hotel didn't sponsor us or help us so we stopped wasting our time / energy and volunteer hours.

I ride up here all the time, and know the area very well, if you have questions, let me know if I can help out.

There is trailer parking down by Birch Street by the water docks (where the boaters park in the summer).  https://goo.gl/maps/DFZ9G3yJTFo

Trail 703 starts / ends there (it's the broken line on the map)

Overnight parking allowed in that lot? 

I would assume so, it's just an abandoned boating dock behind the sewage plant.  No paid parking or anything.   the lot is here:   https://goo.gl/maps/GbAs9WZSrbB2  The 703 trail starts on the left side of birch street runs behind mcd's, and to main street then you can split up from there to 703 or 704.

If not, we have another lot that we maintain, https://goo.gl/maps/ZtbZzZUcNbE2  with access to the B trail from there.  There you can for sure leave your car overnight, that's on ministry land.  You can get to Collingwood by trail from there in about 40 min.

13 hours ago, cds13ca said:

View the OFSC maps.

Thank you for your efforts, I do enjoy riding your trails, I reside in D9 and ride them all. I also work on our local trails and appreciate respectful sledders.

Your information will also be helpful to anyone new riding into Collingwood.

It sounds like there is some improvements being made to make Collingwood a more accessible multi winter sport destination.

3 hours ago, oldesledupes said:

Where is the best riding in D9 up that way? Sauble, Wiarton or Collingwood ?

They are all good choices when conditions are good. Each has a somewhat unique terrain from the other.

8 hours ago, cds13ca said:

over the years, they've gotten better, imo.  there are tonnes of sleds here in town, we've gotten lots of businesses on board for sponsorship, I think as long as people are respectful (i) stay on the marked trail, (ii) respect the 20km/h limit esp around hikers etc, and (iii) if you have pipes on your sled, don't even bother coming into town

check out our website www.bluemountainsnowdrifters.com  click on TOURISM and at the bottom, be sure to visit our sponsors if you're around the area.  Happy riding!

One of my boys, and a friend of his have a dream to ride up to Blue Mountain from Monkton, stay overnight, ski for a day, and then ride home.  What are your thoughts on Blue Mountain, and how sled friendly are they to get there.  We have skied there many times and enjoy it, don't want to sled all that way, and be disappointed to not get there. 

38 minutes ago, Dave K said:

One of my boys, and a friend of his have a dream to ride up to Blue Mountain from Monkton, stay overnight, ski for a day, and then ride home.  What are your thoughts on Blue Mountain, and how sled friendly are they to get there.  We have skied there many times and enjoy it, don't want to sled all that way, and be disappointed to not get there. 

We rode into the base of Blue Mountain once on very well not yet really packed down snow covered roads. We had ridden from Wasaga to Blue and unintentionally ended up there. The reception was far from friendly. A few are you lost and one this is a private road, you need to leave. That was quite a few years ago. Not sure what it would be like today.

19 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

We rode into the base of Blue Mountain once on very well not yet really packed down snow covered roads. We had ridden from Wasaga to Blue and unintentionally ended up there. The reception was far from friendly. A few are you lost and one this is a private road, you need to leave. That was quite a few years ago. Not sure what it would be like today.

At this time, there's no trail to Blue mountain.  We are working on one but that will still be a few years down the road.  It's more promising.  You can always try to run the road there.  But skiers and snowmobilers seem to be enemies these days.  

19 minutes ago, cds13ca said:

At this time, there's no trail to Blue mountain.  We are working on one but that will still be a few years down the road.  It's more promising.  You can always try to run the road there.  But skiers and snowmobilers seem to be enemies these days.  

We were climbing the escarpment and made a wrong turn on a snow covered road that we thought was part of the trail and inadvertently ended up at the ski resort. Now last year we were looking for a place to have lunch and intentionally made a short detour from the sled trail along the snow covered road to Mount St. Louis Moonstone to have lunch in their very busy chalet. We got some strange looks as we rode through the parking lot and parked on the top of a snow plow pile but nobody said anything to us outside or inside. Once inside there wasn't a huge difference between us and everyone else other than we weren't wearing ski boots and we were carrying helmets.

Archived