LINDSAY-SUNDERLAND-FENELON FALLS

thetorches

Took E-108 from Lindsay to B-103 in Sunderland and onto Fenelon Falls. I was about 10 miles or so from Fenelon, when I got to a closed gate on the trail. Had to road run from there to hwy 35 and then back to rail trail in Fenelon and back to Lindsay. I was just looking on the itg and it shows trail as being closed where the gate is. I could have sworn when I checked itg last night that it showed it as being open. Did anyone else check these trails on the itg yesterday and notice if they showed open or closed. Anyway, rail trail to Sunderland was in great shape. The 103 from Sunderland to Fenelon was a lot bumpier and more dirt showing thru. Seems like they got less snow on the 103 than the 108 last night. Fenelon to Lindsay was bumpy also, but not real bad.

thetorches, you are correct.

Screen cap from 930 last night, and confirmed before I left home this morning:

20171230 cannington kinmount.png

Before I left the HOO club house this morning, I discussed the proposed loop with HOO groomer operator, Bill. He said he thought the trail was closed between the HOO boundary and Fenelon Falls, ie east of Glenarm. (I recall that the B103 west of Fenelon was closed all last winter.)  I opened the ITG and showed him that it was showing as green in that area....it surprised him. This was just before 10 a.m.  I headed toward Fenelon, but I was prepared to find a blockage.   

As it turned out, the ditch running right at Glenarm was starting to bother my back a bit, so I turned around and returned to Cannington. Lucky me, I ran into Snocrazy Jason at the clubhouse, and we went for a little run together past Sunderland.

This afternoon when I reviewed my day's run, I noticed the red section west of Fenelon. Glad to hear thetorches found a work-around. Nice to have snowy roads as a backup plan. LOL

I enjoyed a nice 121 kms for the day.

Thank you to HOO !!  I will be back.

24 minutes ago, Blake G said:

thetorches, you are correct.

Screen cap from 930 last night, and confirmed before I left home this morning:

20171230 cannington kinmount.png

Before I left the HOO club house this morning, I discussed the proposed loop with HOO groomer operator, Bill. He said he thought the trail was closed between the HOO boundary and Fenelon Falls, ie east of Glenarm. (I recall that the B103 west of Fenelon was closed all last winter.)  I opened the ITG and showed him that it was showing as green in that area....it surprised him. This was just before 10 a.m.  I headed toward Fenelon, but I was prepared to find a blockage.   

As it turned out, the ditch running right at Glenarm was starting to bother my back a bit, so I turned around and returned to Cannington. Lucky me, I ran into Snocrazy Jason at the clubhouse, and we went for a little run together past Sunderland.

This afternoon when I reviewed my day's run, I noticed the red section west of Fenelon. Glad to hear thetorches found a work-around. Nice to have snowy roads as a backup plan. LOL

I enjoyed a nice 121 kms for the day.

Thank you to HOO !!  I will be back.

Thanks Blake. So I wasn't seeing things. The green section going into Fenelon is closed. Just followed tracks in ditch and road and made to Fenelon. I hate it when your just guessing where you are going. So is that section permanently closed then. It was a little rough in the ditches. The suspension on new sled is a lot better than the old Viper though. It was about 110 km's doing that loop.

6 minutes ago, thetorches said:

So is that section permanently closed then.

No idea. Somebody from the area might know....

Blake. Ran sturgeon and pigeon lakes today. Twin mountains and lunch in Kinmount. Lake were perfect. You gotta look us up for a ride when you come this way 

Absolutely, GrizzlyGriff!

last couple of winters have not been the greatest, but hopefully THIS winter will be perfect for participating in one of your lake tours.

42 minutes ago, Muskoka cat guy said:

why is the gate closed?

One of two reasons... the land owner wants it closed OR the club has kept the gate closed. Possible reasons for the club to keep it closed - the land owner doesn't have a problem with the trail on his land but the adjacent land owner does so it would be a trail to no where and dead end at the next land owners property. As a result trail closed with hopefully a reroute. There is a hazard that still needs to be addressed. Those would be the most likely

What district is Lindsay called. 

Sunderland is so close to me to unload and have a nice lunch in Haliburton

We rode Penetang Midland they received a lot of snow yesterday and was very busy as usual for Saturday riding

I am resting today and thinking about Tuesdays ride

11 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Blake. Ran sturgeon and pigeon lakes today. Twin mountains and lunch in Kinmount. Lake were perfect. You gotta look us up for a ride when you come this way 

Is it easy to accessTwin Mountainsfrom Pigeon Lake?

8 minutes ago, Muskoka cat guy said:

We rode Penetang Midland they received a lot of snow yesterday and was very busy as usual for Saturday riding

I believe it is District 4. You can check on the ITG. There is a tab at the top called districts. Select the one you think it is and it will show that district on the map.

39 minutes ago, Muskoka cat guy said:

Lindsay is district 2

38 minutes ago, mgooding said:

Is it easy to accessTwin Mountainsfrom Pigeon Lake?

Yes if you know where to go. Easiest to find is Nogies Creek where it meets Bass Lake Rd and 36.  Currently the trail is gated off. The other access is on the west shore of that same bay. Difficult to find as it looks like you are riding up into someone’s cottage

15 minutes ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Yes if you know where to go. Easiest to find is Nogies Creek where it meets Bass Lake Rd and 36.  Currently the trail is gated off. The other access is on the west shore of that same bay. Difficult to find as it looks like you are riding up into someone’s cottage

Cool, thanks!

On 12/30/2017 at 5:20 PM, Blake G said:

No idea. Somebody from the area might know....

The gate is actually on the Kawartha Lakes trail.  I believe there is a landowner issue, but do not know details.

Archived