Fatalities

Greggie

Lots of speculation here , which isn't fair to the young lads family... 

For all we know he could have been starting a shift at Tim Hortons......

R.I.P

1 hour ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Lots of speculation here , which isn't fair to the young lads family... 

For all we know he could have been starting a shift at Tim Hortons......

R.I.P

I listened to the video earlier and I thought the officer stated he was out with some other friends, he was a novice rider and no drugs or alcohol are believed to be involved.....so although there are not a lot of details, they did note about possible impairment was not the case.

Could of simply hit a few of the whoops a tad too fast and ended up in the wrong direction......doesn't take much for it to happen.

22 minutes ago, stoney said:

I listened to the video earlier and I thought the officer stated he was out with some other friends, he was a novice rider and no drugs or alcohol are believed to be involved.....so although there are not a lot of details, they did note about possible impairment was not the case.

Could of simply hit a few of the whoops a tad too fast and ended up in the wrong direction......doesn't take much for it to happen.

It can happen to anyone. I've been bounced off a couple of times. Just lucky it wasn't into the trees.

I know young guys that work  the late night shift milking  it is not uncommon for them to go for a ride late night ,early morning . They know were food and fuel is available 24 hrs. Awesome to have the trail to your self  . This young man lost his life doing what he and us enjoy . Not the thread to discuss how you were raised  or what his parents should have done  . No  need to judge .  

9 hours ago, 02Sled said:

At 16 I had a curfew. If I was going to be a bit late I had to find a phone and call. I had better have one heck of a good reason too. Screw up and get grounded. They also wanted to know where I was going

Sounds very familiar...

29 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Sounds very familiar...

X3

In the 70's I would be out every night sledding miles away from home, and always made sure parents knew roughly where I was and what time I would be home. Not passing any judgement on this tragic situation. Condolences to the family.

On 12/27/2017 at 8:43 PM, Muskoka Man said:

MM .?

On 12/27/2017 at 10:57 PM, Nunz said:

??? I’m curious as well, I know a member here with same initials 

Sorry for the confusion.  MM=millimeters.  

Very sad and my thoughts are with those lost's family and friends.  It's especially sad when its the young ones, that should have had their lives before them.  The thing about these threads and why I read them, is for education and understanding of the circumstances that may have contributed to the incident.  Learning from both your own and others failures is an excellent tool and reminder that we all need to do our best to ensure we (and others enjoying the trails) make it home safely to our family and friends.  I do my best not to become judgmental, as circumstances are never 100% clear or accurate, especially on the internet. And becoming judgmental well that doesn't bring back someone nor typically adds much to the education, any more than it guarantees our safety next time we are out on the trails.  But life itself is a risky sport.  Hopefully we can all use these sad events as teaching tools and reminders that there are always self reflection and improvements we can make.  I can think of numerous situations (sledding and in life in general) that given a slightly altered set of circumstances could have turned out worse. I challenge anyone on this forum to do some self reflection themselves. I may not be able to control all circumstances, but I can take precautions to reduce the odds to the best of my ability and educate/remind those around me to do the same.

Very sad, safe trails to all.

The death of the 16 year old reminds me of a 15 year old that was killed in the Huronia region several years ago. The boy had gone for a ride after school on his own & everything went fine. After supper him (leading) & his father had gone out for another ride. I guess a tree had fallen across the trail after his 1st ride. The boy wasn't expecting the obstacle & died when he collided w/ the tree. 

Sad to hear @ the time when the 2 of them were just out having an evening ride.

Was talking to the OPP who were doing  speed enforcement on the trail yesterday near the accident site. (a day late and and a dollar short, but I digress)  The kid wasn't local. Apprently he and his friends trailered up from the Kitchener area. According to the cop I was speaking to, the primary factor causing the accident was excessive speed. 

The 301 has some very twisty wooded sections. Lots of obstacles in that hardwood bush.

See there was a couple more deaths on the weekend. A 51 yr. old man died near Otterville when he hit an icy pond and sled caught fire. Another fatal crash and 1 injury when a snowmobile and atv collided near Wallaceburg. Snowmobiler was killed.

4 hours ago, thetorches said:

See there was a couple more deaths on the weekend. A 51 yr. old man died near Otterville when he hit an icy pond and sled caught fire. Another fatal crash and 1 injury when a snowmobile and atv collided near Wallaceburg. Snowmobiler was killed.

The picture of the "icy pond" shown on London CTV news appeared to be 1 or more stumps that had been covered with snow and/or ice.  Land mines as they are called can be deadly. RIP to the gentleman who died and condolences to his family and friends.

On 12/29/2017 at 7:59 AM, coldfinger said:

I know young guys that work  the late night shift milking  it is not uncommon for them to go for a ride late night ,early morning . They know were food and fuel is available 24 hrs. Awesome to have the trail to your self  . This young man lost his life doing what he and us enjoy . Not the thread to discuss how you were raised  or what his parents should have done  . No  need to judge .  

I agree with you 100%,

Sorry for the families loss.  Let's hope that we don't hear this too much in 2018.  SAD

RIP

Accidents happen - people die every day in their cars around here - only cause it happens on a sled is it "news worthy"

Condolences to the families - ride safe folks.

10 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Accidents happen - people die every day in their cars around here - only cause it happens on a sled is it "news worthy"

Condolences to the families - ride safe folks.

Regardless of where it happens in Ontario (& sometimes out of the province), we hear about it. How many fatalities occur on ATVs or dirt bikes? I'm pretty the stats are similar, but we don't hear/read about them every Mon' morning.

40 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Regardless of where it happens in Ontario (& sometimes out of the province), we hear about it. How many fatalities occur on ATVs or dirt bikes? I'm pretty the stats are similar, but we don't hear/read about them every Mon' morning.

I'm not sure... I have heard in the news about the occasional ATV accident where someone has been killed. I suspect that since it seem the average ATV's top speeds tend to be significantly lower than the average snowmobile there would be fewer fatalities.

When I see the ATV's in our area during the summer they are usually going much slower than I see the sleds going.

Just my guess.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

I'm not sure... I have heard in the news about the occasional ATV accident where someone has been killed. I suspect that since it seem the average ATV's top speeds tend to be significantly lower than the average snowmobile there would be fewer fatalities.

When I see the ATV's in our area during the summer they are usually going much slower than I see the sleds going.

Just my guess.

sadly atv accidents are climbing too quickly. They are getting way too quick for their ability to handle 

Archived