Fatalities

Greggie

It really could happen to anyone. Hit a tree, rock or stump & be ejected from the sled the wrong way, you could be done.

The ice thing can be questionable, depending on where you are...lots of lakes I am sure in certain area's likely have lots of ice by now.....already seen some pictures posted here by rws for what appears to be lakes already staked, albeit not in Ontario.

Regardless, sucks to hear, no matter the circumstances.

19 minutes ago, stoney said:

It really could happen to anyone. Hit a tree, rock or stump & be ejected from the sled the wrong way, you could be done.

The ice thing can be questionable, depending on where you are...lots of lakes I am sure in certain area's likely have lots of ice by now.....already seen some pictures posted here by rws for what appears to be lakes already staked, albeit not in Ontario.

Regardless, sucks to hear, no matter the circumstances.

I have seen open water at a crossing that was safe earlier in the day. Winds pick up and can open up the ice and shift it.  Come back same way at night, could be in for a surprise. 

Riding is never without risk. Even the most careful person can be killed out there. However, we can all mitigate the risks by being smart. Ice is never safe, ever, period. Around any corner on a trail can be deadfall, an oncoming sled, or a large animal. Getting back to our families should be at the forefront of our thoughts while we enjoy the trails. When we lose our minds and let the adrenaline take over is when we take greater risks. We all have done it, gone too fast on trails, rode ice we were not sure about, sped down that snow covered concession road at 100mph.  I have been lucky on many occasions to not have been killed, yet I still at times find myself taking risks I should not. Have a safe season, and think about family every once in a while while out with the boys.

This news doesn't surprise me.  I see sleds/wheelers on lakes way to soon and going way to fast on trails.    I couldn't believe how fast some of these sleds were going yesterday on the trail and how little of room they leave you coming in opposite direction.  After awhile and avoiding a head on collision by MM, I resorted to pulling off the side and yielding the trail to these yahoos. 

On 12/26/2017 at 5:25 PM, Greggie said:

The 1st link was from last winter.

3 hours ago, SRXChris said:

This news doesn't surprise me.  I see sleds/wheelers on lakes way to soon and going way to fast on trails.    I couldn't believe how fast some of these sleds were going yesterday on the trail and how little of room they leave you coming in opposite direction.  After awhile and avoiding a head on collision by MM, I resorted to pulling off the side and yielding the trail to these yahoos. 

MM .?

Millimetres. There are groups of sledders that pride themselves on how fast and aggressive they ride. These groups sometimes contain a mix of riding abilities.I have noticed that the fast guys lead and the slow guys try to be fast and ride to the knives edge of their capabilities.. it is often that the guy a the tail of the group will be the one that  is in way over their head. . I have been riding with my teen age son for the last few years and maybe that makes me a little hyper vigilant but it is all about getting home in one piece. 

8 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

Millimetres. There are groups of sledders that pride themselves on how fast and aggressive they ride. These groups sometimes contain a mix of riding abilities.I have noticed that the fast guys lead and the slow guys try to be fast and ride to the knives edge of their capabilities.. it is often that the guy a the tail of the group will be the one that  is in way over their head. . I have been riding with my teen age son for the last few years and maybe that makes me a little hyper vigilant but it is all about getting home in one piece. 

You are bang on. I have wanted to run down and actually beat to death a few tards that damn near killed my kid. Many that have a great deal of experience and can actually navigate tight trails at a higher than average speed forget, the guys they are with will try to keep the pace they are setting. The guys I rode with for many many years were slower than me, and knew their comfort zone and when I got into the throttle they would never give chase, I just had to wait at the next intersection for a bit. Mostly when i would be on the lead, I tried to lead at their pace but would always end up leaving them, so I often simply chose to ride at the back at whatever pace they felt like going. To me trail riding was never a race, it was all about getting out there at the break of dawn and returning as the sun set, stopping, enjoying good conversation over a beer, or shot, or coffee, seeing different things, exploring logging roads and rivers as well as back country lakes, knowing the guys I rode with had my back as I had theirs. There is no shame in  riding the way YOU feel comfortable, and nobody should ever push you to keep a pace you do not want to. If you are a person that simply has to ride at an aggressive rate all day and do not want to wait for others, do not ride with those guys that take it easy. however, you may find that there is so much more to see when you take it down a notch and cruise at a more relaxed pace.

1 hour ago, pt3189 said:

I stopped riding with guys from a club just because of the above.

50 minutes ago, zoso said:

I have wanted to run down and actually beat to death a few tards that damn near killed my kid.

I had an a$$hole at the back of a pack trying to catch up meet me on a turn in the bush with his yellow rocket on one ski narrowly missing my left leg, then loosing control and crossing in front of my son and in the rhubarb.  I thought we all should have pumelled the pi$$ out of that guy.  It still bothers me to this day.

BP

5 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

I thought we all should have pumelled the pi$$ out of that guy.  It still bothers me to this day.

BP

Coupla extra man made broken bones be a good thing in such a case.  Maybe the only way he learns.   Money fixes everything else. 

2 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

MM .?

??? I’m curious as well, I know a member here with same initials 

1 hour ago, pt3189 said:

I have noticed that the fast guys lead and the slow guys try to be fast and ride to the knives edge of their capabilities.. it is often that the guy a the tail of the group will be the one that  is in way over their head.

Several years ago I had a 67 year old guy bounce his borrowed sled off of mine as he came around a blind corner. I was stopped after meeting his 2 buddies. I would hate to think what would've happened if I hadn't stopped.

11 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Just read it on facebook. That's awful, especially this time of year. RIP.

ugh.....rip.....

We were on the 301 heading to penetang Thursday morning. Not sure how early the crash was, but left Mylar & Loretta’s at 9am. Crazy to think that happened the same day we were out. Too young and gone way too soon...

edit:

i keep thinking today is Friday. My dad just told me it happed at 4:30am thismorning...which is Thursday. 

Wtf is someone doing riding at that hour of the day anyways?  I mean, you can ride anytime but it begs the question.... what else was happening?  

SMH.....  

10 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

16 yr old out at that time where are the parents ?

has nothing to do with parents, when we was 16 we were out all night party to the hiltz driving old cars through the back rds

can't always blame the parents

15 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

has nothing to do with parents, when we was 16 we were out all night party to the hiltz driving old cars through the back rds

My kids and for that fact me at that age would have gotten an asskicking 

1 hour ago, Wildbill said:

16 yr old out at that time where are the parents ?

1 hour ago, ToSlow said:

1 hour ago, Wildbill said:

My kids and for that fact me at that age would have gotten an asskicking 

Perhaps in today's society, it is more rare that parents are not completely up to speed on their kids whereabouts, but 30 to 40 years ago, most parents were not up to speed as to where their 16 year old was, a lot of kids then were either just leaving home to start their life or not far off from leaving home.

Similarly, I was either at school, at work or out with some friends doing what teenagers do....

Although, it is very odd for someone to be out that early on a sled....I am guessing he may have been out all night enjoying some holiday festivities.

Regardless, sad to hear, no matter the circumstances.

At 16 I had a curfew. If I was going to be a bit late I had to find a phone and call. I had better have one heck of a good reason too. Screw up and get grounded. They also wanted to know where I was going

Archived