SOO Trail condtions?

how are the trails and are there some  off trail areas?

I see the map has some trails marked yellow  and will be in the up in Michigan mid week we would like to come ride around the soo even though we have never ridden in that area.

Normally we go with Skidoo boy up to Dubreuilville but he says the condition's there are worse than the soo currently.

so we have Canada Trail permits and looking at staying at the Fairfield inn  possibly .

I see only a small part opened but we would like to ride sat,sun and part of Monday than head home if theres plenty of fun to be had.

thanks in advanced and Merry Christmas 

Rob

Edited by RT Performance

8 hours ago, RT Performance said:

I see the map has some trails marked yellow  and will be in the up in Michigan mid week we would like to come ride around the soo even though we have never ridden in that area.

Normally we go with Skidoo boy up to Dubreuilville but he says the condition's there are worse than the soo currently.

so we have Canada Trail permits and looking at staying at the Fairfield inn  possibly .

I see only a small part opened but we would like to ride sat,sun and part of Monday than head home if theres plenty of fun to be had.

Rob

Soo doesn't look promising either. I am sure mild weather took away some base in past week and washouts north of town need cold and snow to fix, before grooming can begin. I only see town trail open. 

If you want good Canadian conditions I would go to Hearst. You can use your buddy as a stop over on way over. Companion motel is a great spot to stage and stay from. You can go to west way in cochrane stay over night about 300 Km's one way,  stop in at moon beam for a snack and check out their trails. Also go to hornepayne and or ride local Hearst and kap trails. You will get some good miles on no doubt. 

11 hours ago, RT Performance said:

Rob

You should PM Dan Senior to get the real lowdown on trails in and around the Soo. He lives in the Soo and has a real handle on what is going on there. Others may be commenting from afar with little actual knowledge of local Soo conditions.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You should PM Dan Senior to get the real lowdown on trails in and around the Soo. He lives in the Soo and has a real handle on what is going on there. Others may be commenting from afar with little actual knowledge of local Soo conditions.

Soo Facebook site say's clubs are out packing some trails. Cold this week should help swamps and wet area's. Be abit before any touring is available. Poor conditions to north i can't see it getting better in time for a New Years ride. 

• Thanks 1

Sault Updates: 

There's no shortage of snow in Sault Ste. Marie and logging road and back-country riding has been open since late November.  You are good to go in terms of unofficial riding, with 100's of kms of various routes, mostly on crown land.

One of the major challenges our region faces is the ruggedness of the terrain, which makes us susceptible to washouts, ruts and boulders on the trails.  Having said that, even though we have a good snow-base which would be plenty for flat-land and farmer's field riding, the boulders and holes on some of these trails need to be covered up.  

Many riders have been out already, especially points northward of the city, however, very few are on OntarioConditions to post their updates.

You are good to go.  Snowdepth is between 18" - 36" at points north of Sault Ste. Marie.

Hope this helps.  Have fun this weekend.  I may be out on Saturday or Sunday, once Christmas company heads home.

On 25/12/2017 at 10:57 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You mean little actual knowledge of most everything..:rotflmao:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering how the trails from the soo to wawa are after the last warm up. Look to head that way for a 3 day ride this weekend. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Rode from Searchmont to Halfway Haven and back to Searchmont on 1/14/18. Trails had plenty of snow but were hard an somewhat rutted from previous warm up. Some ice bridges had broken through but were passable. 

Rode Searchmont to Dubreuilville yesterday with lunch  at Halfway. Never went to Wawa. 

Trails fast hard and watch for rocks the groomers pulled up.  I liked it except needing to watch for rocks. Trail as good as it gets but could use more snow. Groomers fixed all water crossings. Great job up to Halfway. 

After Halfway going north much more snow!  

All good. Wawa 5 was fantastic so we cut through to the Magpie which is marked better than I have ever seen it. 

Markers are seen from the one you are passing. 

No more guessing and much safer at night or in snow storm.  Great job to all. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 9:19 AM, AC+YA said:

Rode Searchmont to Dubreuilville yesterday with lunch  at Halfway. Never went to Wawa. 

Trails fast hard and watch for rocks the groomers pulled up.  I liked it except needing to watch for rocks. Trail as good as it gets but could use more snow. Groomers fixed all water crossings. Great job up to Halfway. 

After Halfway going north much more snow!  

All good. Wawa 5 was fantastic so we cut through to the Magpie which is marked better than I have ever seen it. 

Markers are seen from the one you are passing. 

No more guessing and much safer at night or in snow storm.  Great job to all. 

Came back down from Dub to Wawa on the Magpie.  Got gas in Wawa, hit the lookout and on to Halfway for gas and a birthday party for my boy Graham.  Headed over to spend the night at Valentines in Chapleau.  Trails were good in Wawa and better than I had thought they might be.  Getting a bit bumpy on the hydro before Halfway.  Then real nice all the way to Chapleau.  The only reason I figure the trail is yellow from Hwy 129 into Chapleau is the hazards which need to be driven around, but are not an issue as long as you see them.  If they were marked, that trail would be about as good as I have ever seen it.  Go slow until you know where the issues are and there are a few.  Stopped and marked the water crossing on the way back to Searchmont.  Hit that from the blind side on the way to Chapleau so thought we would try to save the innocent from the panic attack I had gone through as I skidded into the water the night before.  It is about a couple miles east of Pineal Lake (the bridge where the old saw mill was).  Not deep, but at least it is marked now.  Lets face it, all water fixed with snow only goes back to water.  Found one wet spot on the way down to Searchmont which had also been fixed, but warm weather has erased almost the entire fix.  Think that is about 7 miles before the trail Tees into Ranger North West Road near Dyson Lake.  I think the Halfway groomer goes to the "T".  The trail was still good hard and fast down to Searchmont.  Watching for a few rocks in the trail was key.  We stopped and removed several from the trail, but some were too big and frozen into the snow to even budge.  The trails all seem to be better this year when it comes to branches hanging out.  The crews have done lots of good work.  The trail over to Goulias River from Searchmont had taken a beating by the warm and grooming up those big hills, but we jumped onto the river and ran it to "The Zone". 

Now with the snow they received yesterday as we were leaving, they should have something to work with again.  The trails should be great again once they can groom them and have some snow to work with.  Real good weekend ride.     

Got ride with 1049 (Mark & Pam) also ran into Skidoo boy (Eric & Lynne) on the Magpie.  

0ACCAD63-2047-41EB-8347-7D4EC2726EE1.jpeg

7B402EA4-7458-4E75-B18F-3ACCE232103A.jpeg

E46A75A2-CAE4-4E7D-8DFC-8B8A7CD4AD02.jpeg

0CE1DA22-AFC7-48E1-A317-53D55300E6C9.jpeg

7574B1CF-4BFB-4657-B01C-067B6DE0B610.jpeg

3013FE4B-BE12-4CFE-BB29-B7A901AB1350.jpeg

60FB20F1-DAA5-4029-9B8A-178E8278C855.jpeg

B82E1C96-BA9F-4CF8-8FAE-CD6F48044DF6.jpeg

32858DBB-8693-4F7E-86B8-71F08A84685A.jpeg

367C3D61-0ECA-45F4-BCD4-C3543CE500B0.jpeg

D00EC700-213E-40C6-BF18-1A703E78081A.jpeg

76030D17-966D-4A6B-A55D-601FC4B07FAF.jpeg

92F65840-9138-4177-95EB-640A36D90156.jpeg

Edited by AC+YA
Add pictures
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, AC+YA said:

Came back down from Dub to Wawa on the Magpie.  Got gas in Wawa, hit the lookout and on to Halfway for gas and a birthday party for my boy Graham.  Headed over to spend the night at Valentines in Chapleau.  Trails were good in Wawa and better than I had thought they might be.  Getting a bit bumpy on the hydro before Halfway.  Then real nice all the way to Chapleau.  The only reason I figure the trail is yellow from Hwy 129 into Chapleau is the hazards which need to be driven around, but are not an issue as long as you see them.  If they were marked, that trail would be about as good as I have ever seen it.  Go slow until you know where the issues are and there are a few.  Stopped and marked the water crossing on the way back to Searchmont.  Hit that from the blind side on the way to Chapleau so thought we would try to save the innocent from the panic attack I had gone through as I skidded into the water the night before.  It is about a couple miles east of Pineal Lake (the bridge where the old saw mill was).  Not deep, but at least it is marked now.  Lets face it, all water fixed with snow only goes back to water.  Found one wet spot on the way down to Searchmont which had also been fixed, but warm weather has erased almost the entire fix.  Think that is about 7 miles before the trail Tees into Ranger North West Road near Dyson Lake.  I think the Halfway groomer goes to the "T".  The trail was still good hard and fast down to Searchmont.  Watching for a few rocks in the trail was key.  We stopped and removed several from the trail, but some were too big and frozen into the snow to even budge.  The trails all seem to be better this year when it comes to branches hanging out.  The crews have done lots of good work.  The trail over to Goulias River from Searchmont had taken a beating by the warm and grooming up those big hills, but we jumped onto the river and ran it to "The Zone". 

Now with the snow they received yesterday as we were leaving, they should have something to work with again.  The trails should be great again once they can groom them and have some snow to work with.  Real good weekend ride.     

Got ride with 1049 (Mark & Pam) also ran into Skidoo boy (Eric & Lynne) on the Magpie.  

92F65840-9138-4177-95EB-640A36D90156.jpeg

Thanks for letting us tag along and showing the lookout 

49 minutes ago, 1049 said:

Thanks for letting us tag along and showing the lookout 

Looks like you  had a great time. Nice pics.

7 minutes ago, thetorches said:

Looks like you  had a great time. Nice pics.

It was awesome week of sledding 

Great pics thanks for sharing !!

Great pictures Scott it shows us what we are missing looks like you all had a great time

hope you guys have a great ride in Quebec 

We will be on the other side of the river heading North when you guys are up there

we will keep in Touch

Zrtkat &Crew

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, AC+YA said:

Nothing like scrolling through and finding a picture of yourself and your wife LOL

We were with Eric and Lynne on the magpie that afternoon hoping to go back up in a couple weekends bought my wife a 15 xf6 cross country like mine she is ready to put some miles on.

Was great to meet you all

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dmarks said:

Wondering if there is any updates on conditions? Heading up next week. Thanks

Should be OK with some new snow they got last weekend.  Watch the ITG and there is way more snow north now then back when we took these pictures.  Dan Senior is up there and is the guy to PM.

I will be back up in a couple weeks.

trails should be ok but, towns after this warm up, may be tough for food, fuel, lodging.  might have to ride some bare pavement and dirt. spring conditions are a commin. Ski

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/14-day-weather-trend/ontario/sault-ste-marie