What’s going on in D5/9

FrostyTheSnowman

30 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

BruteMan,

I was there and had to blow that snow.  I rode out of my house that winter.  A lot has changed in 10 years.

I bet you guys are too young to know what winters were like in Perth County the 60's when I walked to school uphill both ways.  Track damage happened when you ran over the top of an iron fence post because you never seen it.

BP

Third winter that I haven't rode open trails out of my house. Last year a bust, 3 days, year before nothing, this year who knows. 5 years ago we had almost 10 weeks of open trails. 

2 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

BruteMan,

I was there and had to blow that snow.  I rode out of my house that winter.  A lot has changed in 10 years.

I bet you guys are too young to know what winters were like in Perth County the 60's when I walked to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways.  Track damage happened when you ran over the top of an iron fence post because you never seen it.

BP

Fixed it for you.

Weather has indeed changed and will continue to change as long as the world exists. I remember my mom & dad telling me that when my brother was born, Apr 27 they weren't sure if the car would make it up the hill to the hospital due to the snow storm.

Early 70's walking the beach front of Wasaga and saying, hey look at that, there's a roof on the snow. Get closer, walking on top of the hard packed snow and you can see the snow has been swirling around the walls of a cottage and it's up to the eaves with a small space between the snow and the walls of the cottage.

Every winter, we could barely get to church for the Christmas service with the 64 Plymouth.  Drifts and blowing snow to whiteout conditions EVERY YEAR.  When has there been snow like that now ?  Had to blow out the driveway with the tractor every day.  That was just north of Stratford, not Hearst.  It's all over.

BP

34 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Every winter, we could barely get to church for the Christmas service with the 64 Plymouth.  Drifts and blowing snow to whiteout conditions EVERY YEAR.  When has there been snow like that now ?  Had to blow out the driveway with the tractor every day.  That was just north of Stratford, not Hearst.  It's all over.

BP

It can come back... don't forget at one time southern Ontario was under a layer of ice and snow 1.5 miles thick. Antarctica was once tropical. Patience is a virtue :D

When I was a kid, nobody had heard of snow blowers. Everyone shoveled their driveways. They were typically only wide enough for one car but were long enough for about 4 or more and cars were a lot bigger back then. The mounds of snow on either side of the driveway would be 5 ft. high. The schools NEVER had a snow day... everyone always made it in.

The snow we remember will one day return. Cycles in nature are much longer than peoples lives

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

The snow we remember will one day return. Cycles in nature are much longer than peoples lives

You think you will live that long ?  That will take thousands of years and I only have 20-25 left if I'm lucky.

BP

3 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

You think you will live that long ?  That will take thousands of years and I only have 20-25 left if I'm lucky.

BP

Historically there have also been sudden and dramatic changes by nature... you never know what will happen. The "experts" made predictions around the concept of "global warming" then when that phrase fizzled they mad predictions around "climate change". Those predictions are now becoming tired and the new buzz phrase starting to be used is "extreme weather".

Don't sell yourself short... the one sure bet science is that medical knowledge is growing exponentially. That 20 - 25 may well change in that window and we start seeing more and more people approaching that 100 mark.

I'm trying to be an optimist.

Can anyone comment on the conditions as of this afternoon in the Collingwood/Wasaga area?

Did a lot of the snow up that way stick around?  Down in the Forest area, we lost pretty much everything.

It loos like they are going to get some good accumulation over the next few days which should get things back on track!

2 hours ago, oldesledupes said:

Can anyone comment on the conditions as of this afternoon in the Collingwood/Wasaga area?

Did a lot of the snow up that way stick around?  Down in the Forest area, we lost pretty much everything.

It loos like they are going to get some good accumulation over the next few days which should get things back on track!

Imagine half snow would be gone, if they got rain too (not sure) one member said trails up that why were muddy and are official closed. Maybe re open next week. 

15 hours ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

There’s gotta be some grooming action going on closer to Huron in D9 from goderich to Owen Sound.  Even in land a ways. Any reports???? 

Around here there was so much blowing that the snow went to the ditches and bushes. What snow is left on the trail won't pack and you go right through to the ground. They have had a lot of blowing and some closed roads in the Goderich area so may have the same issues.

15 hours ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

There’s gotta be some grooming action going on closer to Huron in D9 from goderich to Owen Sound.  Even in land a ways. Any reports???? 

Milverton, Conestoga Lake, and Maitland Valley are all out grooming and trying to get a base that will stay in place.  Definitely need more snow before they can open up

A lot of blown fields was to be expected. The Uber crispy winds are freezing up the bare ground fast though. Perfect for a solid 8-10” of heavy snow to lay on top when it gets back to single digit lows.....and it will. Thanks for the report guys

Only 12 weeks until spring.

Bridgeport Club had posts on Facebook today showing the groomer running around packing. Not enough snow to open but its a start.

Archived