PBR Riders Cochrane..Jack pine Iroqouis falls.

Turbo Doo

As per PBR riders facebook page, i see both clubs getting new units. Still to this day i did not understand taking a groomer away from Cochrane several years ago and leaving them with only 2. This is a club that on most occasions grooms first and is grooming last..:poke2:.. when i heard about this a few years ago, made me wonder if the government was running things..

Anyways thanks permit dollars..:icon_steer:

24294260_1443365855712028_1820906040763616497_n.jpg

24067936_1443365839045363_2683772715597611729_n.jpg

24067917_1443365835712030_2870812548003449058_n.jpg

The background looks like Stoltz's Case IH yard in Elmira. Guess he got the deal for the tractor units this year.

It takes a lot of space up in that shop. This tractor setup should work very well on many of the trails in that area. It is hoped that there is a Case IH dealer close at hand with the computer equipment and parts needed to get these units up and running  quickly when a sensor goes whacko (and it will happen).

17 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

It takes a lot of space up in that shop. This tractor setup should work very well on many of the trails in that area. It is hoped that there is a Case IH dealer close at hand with the computer equipment and parts needed to get these units up and running  quickly when a sensor goes whacko (and it will happen).

I wonder if any of the purchasing team at the OFSC took this into consideration when allocating all of these units to different areas of the province.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of using a converted tractor to groom trails vs. the traditional type groomer (do not know what they are technically referred to as)?

2 hours ago, stoney said:

What are the advantages or disadvantages of using a converted tractor to groom trails vs. the traditional type groomer (do not know what they are technically referred to as)?

There are a lot more dealers (especially in the south) to get repairs done at. They used to be a bit cheaper than the traditional type. Not sure if that is still the case. The track kits can be taken off and used on a new tractor if the hub setup hasn't changed. The wheels can be put back on the tractor and it becomes a more saleable commodity.

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Arctic Riders SRF had issues with a module last year, and seem to be having issues with another module again this year "Lighting Module".  IIRC it's a Pisten Bully they're working on.  So yeah, stupid electronics.  Easy to make, easy to use, hard to troubleshoot, hard to pay for repairs.  I like old school, manual valving, etc.  

3 hours ago, stoney said:

Only place I see it being an advantage using a tractor, is near someplace that has parts and service nearby.  Earlton or possibly Timmins are the closest ones I can think of, so 1hr drive x2 to fetch parts isn't bad, but 1.5 hrs of floating x2 a machine is a much bigger pill to swallow for a non-profit organization.  Apparently they're quite quick to groom trails with (vehicle speed) relative to a true track groomer, but have less floatation than a traditional, and are also easier to get stuck/harder to get out.  This is mostly hearsay from all the groomer drivers' comments, as I have no personal experience on one.

57 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

There are a lot more dealers (especially in the south) to get repairs done at. They used to be a bit cheaper than the traditional type. Not sure if that is still the case. The track kits can be taken off and used on a new tractor if the hub setup hasn't changed. The wheels can be put back on the tractor and it becomes a more saleable commodity.

8 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Only place I see it being an advantage using a tractor, is near someplace that has parts and service nearby.  Earlton or possibly Timmins are the closest ones I can think of, so 1hr drive x2 to fetch parts isn't bad, but 1.5 hrs of floating x2 a machine is a much bigger pill to swallow for a non-profit organization.  Apparently they're quite quick to groom trails with (vehicle speed) relative to a true track groomer, but have less floatation than a traditional, and are also easier to get stuck/harder to get out.  This is mostly hearsay from all the groomer drivers' comments, as I have no personal experience on one.

Dual purpose and resale make a lot of sense.

Service is high on the list too I am sure.

The tractors seem like much bigger units though, so not good for tighter trails or wet ones either.

We are getting our new Groomer tomorrow, wish we had more snow to try it out.   We where looking at the Soucy Track, We where afraid that it would have a hard time in our power line and also the weight of the unit.   We decided to go with a OEM machine the Prinoth Troop, if we wanted the Huskie Model we had to fork out $50,000.    Other then our first groomer in 1978 was a Bombi, this will be our first true Snowmobile groomer, it's going to be a big change, 22 years on a converted tractor to this.   I've do have seat time in Br's, Tuckers and others.

1 hour ago, The Groomer Guy said:

We are getting our new Groomer tomorrow, wish we had more snow to try it out.   We where looking at the Soucy Track, We where afraid that it would have a hard time in our power line and also the weight of the unit.   We decided to go with a OEM machine the Prinoth Troop, if we wanted the Huskie Model we had to fork out $50,000.    Other then our first groomer in 1978 was a Bombi, this will be our first true Snowmobile groomer, it's going to be a big change, 22 years on a converted tractor to this.   I've do have seat time in Br's, Tuckers and others.

Best of luck this season..

4 hours ago, The Groomer Guy said:

I am sure you will like the Trooper, especially for breaking trail.  I know you have done it for years but I can't imagine having to break trail with the drag in tow.  I have only ever done a few small sections of trail that way but it sure ups the difficulty factor in an already difficult situation.  

7 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Arctic Riders SRF had issues with a module last year, and seem to be having issues with another module again this year "Lighting Module".  IIRC it's a Pisten Bully they're working on.  So yeah, stupid electronics.  Easy to make, easy to use, hard to troubleshoot, hard to pay for repairs.  I like old school, manual valving, etc.  

They aren't as good as an Ebert in very heavy snow like a heavily drifted railway cut. They don't seem to have as much flotation.  I'm told they are very easy and comfortable to operate. Graham Snyder was one of the first to operate one in our area. He told me that if the front right corner went off the hard pack you could turn the steering left and it would pull itself out. He said the Ebert's wouldn't do that, they would just continue further into the ditch until you stopped.

On 2017-12-01 at 8:55 AM, signfan said:

What drag are you pulling with it?

Saw today they have it hooked up to an Ebert drag off, I believe off their old TS110 groomer. Minus the ram steer cylinders. 

Archived