Sault Ste. Marie - Area

Dan-Senior

BF300A96-2AE1-4034-9925-33398C4676E3.jpeg

OK - so what's with the last pic?

Were you not on "trail"?

How big'a deal to drop down to the river? It looks solid from what we can see in the pic.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Ox said:

BF300A96-2AE1-4034-9925-33398C4676E3.jpeg

OK - so what's with the last pic?

Were you not on "trail"?

How big'a deal to drop down to the river? It looks solid from what we can see in the pic.

We could have dropped down and ran the river too, but was just curious.

This was the bridge the trail was going to use, but they could not get permission to use it. (Maybe MNR needs to say OK , but I am not exactly sure who would not allow it to be used.  It looks plenty strong for just a groomer, let alone a sled..  It looks strong enough for a loaded log truck still.)  They did re-route the trail back south to the pipeline from the rail bed and then it crosses the frozen river.  I just wanted to go see why the bridge could not be used or if it was still there.  The map shows the trail crossing the bridge, but I think that was why the trail took so long to open.  Have to get the ice depth to open the trail and groomers have to come to the river and then return to Hwy11 and go down to cross a bridge and then come back into pickup the trail on the other side. 

Too bad they won't let the bridge be used.

Which river is this?

15 minutes ago, Ox said:

Which river is this?

I tried to zoom-in on that part of the trail just after you cross Hwy11. Open the ITG to see it better. 

The trail cuts off toward the west at the pipeline and crosses a road and then the river and then takes the next road north to hook back up with the rail bed heading west. 

D5C052FB-C14E-4450-9B37-39CDA5111702.png

F921EE7D-B524-4C13-94A0-0281852DB822.png

490CE161-7D4A-4D74-97A8-FDFAFE0C6790.png

CBEEDF5D-0DE5-4FBB-8F11-AD6D3CC3F4C9.png

7B2F9E0B-2620-459A-926B-37FB2A287ABD.png

2238DAB4-B208-4052-82F3-7984AD7FC355.png

4742366B-3079-4542-B4D2-9F15DAC19263.png

3E26FDEC-3A36-48C7-8BC5-91F7229F4E0E.png

BE0695FE-0B30-481B-844E-9469F6E6C86F.png

3674A2C7-94AE-49A2-9A5F-BAB456C8591B.png

6D311CFD-600A-4099-9DEE-A1A2D1EC5928.png

936D8B0B-6142-4380-A249-068DAE97810A.png

DE63AB62-5738-4D4A-B758-4B3A090E2B3C.png

86B92733-E829-4974-9022-4FD61EDE9C39.png

B3A61318-9FFF-4D4A-B374-1E0D1F2B55AD.png

E7AA8DD5-3CAB-4B94-9B21-A826FAE9C0AD.png

0C9CFED2-68D0-4F31-A5DC-9863A93E79C3.png

That's the Nagagami River. I've crossed it a bazillion times with my pickup. The barriers are new this year, as per MNR BS mentioned above. Yes there was something about the legalities with the bridge permission... not sure of the details. But the river crossing is a joke.  You could bushwhack a sled down the banks 100' South of the bridge and skip the river with an Elan. I've fished there on foot, the deepest point is about 2' and maybe 12 to 15' wide .... maybe....

BTW AC+YA, thanks for sharing the pics, nice to bump into you and Paige.

Sucks that the train bridge is closed

W/ the LED light bar in the bumper opening, is there a increase in the trans' temp?

16 hours ago, Denis007 said:

BTW AC+YA, thanks for sharing the pics, nice to bump into you and Paige.

Nice to finally talk to you this season.  Paige and I have been through Hearst 3 times this season, but I got in late each time. 

Like I said above, not sure why bridge is off limits to the OFSC trail?

I marked where the trail actually goes. See pic. 

I plan to use this trail several times next year. 

This was our 2nd run to Longlac this season. 

We bumped into Matt at the chip stand Sunday. 

Say hi to your wife. 

Scott & Paige

7FCDECA7-6E9D-451C-B5FF-554C69AE67F8.png

15 hours ago, revrnd said:

Sucks that the train bridge is closed

W/ the LED light bar in the bumper opening, is there a increase in the trans' temp?

No temp change even pulling heavy trailer in summer. 

It runs higher with loaded dump trailer (8 tons of top soil is max. I will pull) but it didn’t change after adding the light bar.  That is too heavy and if not loaded right trailer will not lift.   I only haul for local projects that my son does or my own. I try to use his diesel trucks and save mine when possible.

Air goes above and below the bar.  I was actually worried about it and did double check it. Be sure to leave a slot above and below.

The light is so intense it washes out the truck lights when on.  

10 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

It runs higher with loaded dump trailer (8 tons of top soil is max. I will pull) but it didn’t change after adding the light bar.  That is too heavy and if not loaded right trailer will not lift.   I only haul for local projects that my son does or my own. I try to use his diesel trucks and save mine when possible.

Air goes above and below the bar.  I was actually worried about it and did double check it. Be sure to leave a slot above and below.

Thanks. Just curious as I've seen others with the same placement. I made a screen to fill the opening & protect the cooler.

Do you have the link for the light bar and mounts you used? I hear 18” double row fits best. 

Sorry to highjack. 

1 hour ago, AC+YA said:

Your version of Billy Big Rigger moose lights for 17N?

1 hour ago, willb said:

Do you have the link for the light bar and mounts you used? I hear 18” double row fits best. 

Sorry to highjack. 

Had a guy order for me.  Could not find an exact fit with curved LED Spots.  Custom brackets.

25 minutes ago, Ox said:

Your version of Billy Big Rigger moose lights for 17N?

Exactly!  Went between two big moose one Christmas night on Hwy17.  They were eating salt out of opposite snow banks almost in line with each other.  They were so dark that wet night that I never saw them until my boy started yelling.  Swerved out to the center and went between them at 60 mph pulling a triple axle trailer.  Eyes getting worse, so adding more light.

BTDTGTTS

27 minutes ago, Ox said:

BTDTGTTS

Is that an eye sight test? Just got back from taking my wife for her semi annual eye checkup and those letters look pretty familiar. LOL

31 minutes ago, Ox said:

BTDTGTTS

3 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Is that an eye sight test? Just got back from taking my wife for her semi annual eye checkup and those letters look pretty familiar. LOL

Been There Done That Got The T Shirt

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Yeah, I got the notice a cpl weeks ago that I need to go in for my update for my medical card for my CDL.

The first time I was there, I read off 

"m a d e i n u s a" in my best Donald Southerland voice

The guy asked me which line I was on?

I said clear to the bottom....

He didn't git the quote ..... 

On 2018-04-01 at 7:52 AM, skidooboy said:

they were calling for 15cm, how much do you think you received dan? thanks for the updates all winter, really keeps us up to date on the snow conditions. probably heading to dubreuilville next week, for the weekend. if we do go, we have been riding at least a weekend a month for 5 months. Ski

ski, did you get back to Dub this weekend? If so, how was it? 

pretty damn good. roads are bare in town, trails have lots of base, no real  need to groom any more in my opinion. not enough traffic, and trails are relatively flat/smooth.

wawa received about 6 maybe 8" Thursday night. dub might have received 2 or so out of that.

rode 105 miles today, saw 2 sleds (in first 5 miles of day). saw no one on trail yesterday.

it is spring riding so, towns suck but, once on the trail, you are good to go. 2 blue bird days this weekend, a bit windy but, awesome for almost mid april. we will be lucky to have ice off the lakes for spring walleye opener.

next week we will be getting ready for our annual spring motorcycle ride down south (smokie mountains). the following week we will be home again, big reg, and his wife are coming to our place in Michigan. the following weekend (first week of may) we will be back up... might get a chance for a may ride, you just never know. 

heading home to Michigan tomorrow. Ski

Thanks for the report ski. Would love to head up one more time, but am getting ready to haul a load of dirt and street bikes to Moab April 19, so another trip to N Ontario would really be pushing things at home. For such a shi^^y local sledding season, it sure turned out well in the north. I think everybody is going to have to re-evaluate what "north" is if they want to keep sledding.

We're a long time dead and short time here, so everyone get out and enjoy whatever.

Just saw on CTV that they were still skiing & snowboarding @ Searchmont.

Sault Ste. Marie

For winter lovers...its been a great year for Sault Ste. Marie. One of my colleagues at work is an avid Searchmont Skier.  I'm sure he will be all smiles today when I see him.

A couple of photos from the City Centre this morning (one courtesy of Sootoday.com, the other, my driveyway).

winter 2.jpg

winter.jpg

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Just saw on CTV that they were still skiing & snowboarding @ Searchmont.

I believe Blue Mountain is as well.

5 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Sault Ste. Marie

For winter lovers...its been a great year for Sault Ste. Marie. One of my colleagues at work is an avid Searchmont Skier.  I'm sure he will be all smiles at work today.

A couple of photos from the City Centre this morning (one courtesy of Sootoday.com, the other, my driveyway).

winter 2.jpg

winter.jpg

Looks about the same as Toronto

Archived