Almaquin SC no longer supports their webpage??

pete/ny

I have been using the Almaquin SC website page for a very long time and always buy my Permits using their Club. Their trail status was always very helpful but I go to their webpage and theres a message saying it no longer supports this page, Any ideas of why and if they have a new website? Thank you.

Geez that's too bad we use to refer to it all the time too

Facebook seems to be there go to now. 

14 minutes ago, reevester said:

Facebook seems to be there go to now. 

If this is true, it's very short-sighted, IMO...this effectively excludes lots of folks who aren't FB users. 

5 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

If this is true, it's very short-sighted, IMO...this effectively excludes lots of folks who aren't FB users. 

Not really. All club's are going the Facebook route as the majority have it. It's a great tool for a lot of things besides selfies and status updates. Websites cost money and webmasters to update. FB is simple and effective to use. 

6 minutes ago, reevester said:

Not really. All club's are going the Facebook route as the majority have it. It's a great tool for a lot of things besides selfies and status updates. Websites cost money and webmasters to update. FB is simple and effective to use. 

Having a website does cost a small amount for the hosting and the domain name but you don't need a webmaster to update it. In today's world there are so many front end interfaces that make managing the website easy. A friends 10 year old has his own website that he maintains himself. Other friends created and maintain the website for their campground and they are probably the least technical people I know.

Personally I dislike Facebook and it is a pain in the butt to use in comparison to a website.

7 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Having a website does cost a small amount for the hosting and the domain name but you don't need a webmaster to update it. In today's world there are so many front end interfaces that make managing the website easy. A friends 10 year old has his own website that he maintains himself. Other friends created and maintain the website for their campground and they are probably the least technical people I know.

Personally I dislike Facebook and it is a pain in the butt to use in comparison to a website.

Colour me surprised. It's extremely simple to use and find info at club levels. 

I thinks it's best to have both a web site and a Facebook presence.

Facebook is better for quickly sharing information back and forth between a club and those members who use Facebook. (Our club Facebook group has over 800 members.) Club board members, volunteers, and riders can dialogue very quickly and easily. Facebook allows for almost instantaneous communication, depending on how each user has set up their personal preferences. If someone posts on our club Facebook page, for example, many of us get a notification on our smartphone within seconds.

Facebook buries information quickly as new posts are made, so a web site is better for allowing a club to provide reference information that may not need to be changed frequently. A web site is more like a magazine that can maintain a consistent format over time. 

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

Facebook is better for quickly sharing information back and forth between a club and those members who use Facebook. (Our club Facebook group has over 800 members.) Club board members, volunteers, and riders can dialogue very quickly and easily. Facebook allows for almost instantaneous communication, depending on how each user has set up their personal preferences. If someone posts on our club Facebook page, for example, many of us get a notification on our smartphone within seconds.

Facebook buries information quickly as new posts are made, so a web site is better for allowing a club to provide reference information that may not need to be changed frequently. A web site is more like a magazine that can maintain a consistent format over time. 

Absolutely correct, both are needed by any Club wishing to properly serve Snowmobilers.

Actually my niece and nephew tell me Facebook is old school and for old people now.

19 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Actually my niece and nephew tell me Facebook is old school and for old people now.

Yup. Instagram, Youtube, Snapchat and 4Chan-for the real rebels, is where the young-uns are now. 

18 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

It may be the case but we routinely have 2,000 Facebook views on one of our posts and once had 10,000 views when reporting an unfortunate incident nearby.

Facebook is fast to post info and photos and allows two-way Communications.

24 minutes ago, mcZEd382 said:

Yup. Instagram, Youtube, Snapchat and 4Chan-for the real rebels, is where the young-uns are now. 

Snapchat is the one they prefer... they were telling me that it tracks the number of consecutive days you have been on and messaging giving you a report and I believe ranking of how many days you have done. Kind of makes it a contest and allows for bragging rights. My niece told me a friend of hers is something like 500+ consecutive days.

4 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

4B2508D5-6D59-4B19-8B5A-B6BBD47016E5.png

Interesting when you look up the owner of the domain its registered to a person in Florida.

If cost is a factor, there are free web hosting for just the cost of registering your domain through the provider. However the sites are small and no e-commerce or wordpress pages.

Interesting though..if you type the following link you get their trail condition page.  http://www.adsc-snow.org/conditions.htm

Jerry

6 hours ago, Blake G said:

I completely agree...Facebook is the quickest way to get news out to its members and public. Info can be pinned to the top of their news feeds. I am always checking Facebook pages for info and I receive responses very quickly. I feel its a valuable tool for getting the word out as web sites are usually updated very rarely. Facebook can have multiple admins checking the feed for questions and comments and can easily filter out the spam and trolls. Some may not like Facebook and don't want to put out their personal info; but that the beauty of it as you can keep yourself very private and still see the info you would like to see. Also, where else can you see all the cute cat and dog pics.

Jerry

I think a lot of sledders must be Facebook users at heart and don't even realize it. How many have posted pictures of their dinner plates showing what they had for lunch and supper.

21 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I think a lot of sledders must be Facebook users at heart and don't even realize it. How many have posted pictures of their dinner plates showing what they had for lunch and supper.

I have done it, why not..almost everyone is doin it. The problem is when someone is constantly doing it. That's when its time to block or have an intervention with that person. I think Facebook is not he place to air your personal, family or work issues.

As a club, what will likely get the most attention....Facebook or website? Facebook is my guess, so why would a club with limited time & resources want to have any duplication.

Yes, they both offer a slightly different value, but FB gets the message out and its instant from any smartphone with little to no skill sets.....downside is you need a FB account.

10 minutes ago, stoney said:

As a club, what will likely get the most attention....Facebook or website? Facebook is my guess, so why would a club with limited time & resources want to have any duplication.

Yes, they both offer a slightly different value, but FB gets the message out and its instant from any smartphone with little to no skill sets.....downside is you need a FB account.

If you can get to FB on your cell phone you can get to a club website just as fast

38 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

If you can get to FB on your cell phone you can get to a club website just as fast

Yes, but...lets say a tree is down or bridge is damaged. I would send the message to Facebook account before a web site. Facebook is watched by many and the news would get out to the club and the riders immediately. A message to the website's email address would most likely go unread for many hours or days. As an administrator of several Facebook pages I receive messages on my phone and computer immediately. The website I maintain I see emails when i happen to check them which is once or twice a day.

59 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Yes, but who can update that website on the run, everyone, including local riders, or just the person with those permissions?

I am sure you could create a site that does this, but FB is already there to support this need.

Their facebook page says that they are making a new and improved web page.  Hopefully it is not the same people that made the new and improved ITG.

David Jowdy
David Jowdy No more web page for you guys?

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · November 5 at 7:28pm
Manage
Peter Kaminski
Peter Kaminski David Jowdy- NO MORE WEB Page!

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 14 hrs
Manage
Almaguin District Snowmobile Club
Almaguin District Snowmobile Club New and better webpage coming. 
We are trying to perfect it before the snow flies. We apologize.

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 5 hrs
Manage

Archived