2018 Haliburton Trail and Snow Conditions

Great ride down the rail trail today - Hali down to Kinmount.  Beautifully groomed. First time out this year with the big turbo 2up and it ran like a champ. Smooooth running and nicely mild this morning. My wife had a great ride. The B West trail from Maple Lake down to Hali was in great shape too. Thanks HCSA, having a great season so far. Here's hoping the rain tomorrow doesn't set back a good start to the season.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume the trails are pretty much bare?  Anyone know how close they are to being reopened?

15 minutes ago, mgooding said:

I assume the trails are pretty much bare?  Anyone know how close they are to being reopened?

you are correct.....icy cold base is a start but thats it....we need TONS of snow

15 minutes ago, mgooding said:

Judging by the photos that Nutter posted, and even looking at our (Heart of Ontario) rail trail near the clubhouse, the trails look hard and icy and just need a good dumping of snow for the groomers to be rolling again. 

I will bow to the opinions of anyone who is closer to the actual area in question.

The rail trail actually looks to have faired quite well. The trails near Carnarvon are a combination of ice and rock. We need a good dumping of snow to get the trails around here to be reasonable to groom and ride. 

Was at the cottage Wed-Fri we lost a ton of snow started off with over 2 feet and we were down to about a 6in base, roads were bare, there was no snow left on my roof or on the tarps of the boats etc. Lakes should set up well with all the standing water freezing. The bases may have lasted if panned/groomed but they need more snow only got a couple cos since Friday

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like some movement in the hcsa territory.   Groomers have been out so I can only assume we should see some updates soon.  If we get the snow this weekend things sure will turn around.  Base In some spots is great.

2 hours ago, gobills said:

Looks like some movement in the hcsa territory.   Groomers have been out so I can only assume we should see some updates soon.  If we get the snow this weekend things sure will turn around.  Base In some spots is great.

It's now yellow from Hali to kinmount.

Going to test the trails out tomorrow in the area. 

I see B up to Whitney is now yellow.  Anybody know if Eagle and Moose lakes will be ready for Friday.

As a rule there is good ice depth but lots of the lakes are getting pressure cracks. Just a heads up.

12 mile has a pressure crack and so does Bosh. Just back from a ride and The Hawks were fine. If they’re on a few lakes it’s only a matter of time until we see more. Just a heads up, that’s all.

Rode the B from Carnarvon north to Hawk, took little Hawk around to the B and took the B to 16. 16 to 64 and then took the lakes back to the B. Great ride. Lots of snow on the lakes and although the trails are showing yellow I would consider them as green. The B north from Carnarvon is as good as I’ve ever seen it. Great job by the groomers. 16 was good but not as good as the B. Lots of face level branches on 16. Still nice to get back onto Trail 16.

16 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

12 mile has a pressure crack and so does Bosh. Just back from a ride and The Hawks were fine. If they’re on a few lakes it’s only a matter of time until we see more. Just a heads up, that’s all.

Rode the B from Carnarvon north to Hawk, took little Hawk around to the B and took the B to 16. 16 to 64 and then took the lakes back to the B. Great ride. Lots of snow on the lakes and although the trails are showing yellow I would consider them as green. The B north from Carnarvon is as good as I’ve ever seen it. Great job by the groomers. 16 was good but not as good as the B. Lots of face level branches on 16. Still nice to get back onto Trail 16.

Agree x2

I saw in the Minden Times last week that a sled went through the ice on Twelve Mile and an ATV went through the ice on Boshkung. Does anyone know where on the lakes they went through? I'd like to avoid those areas. Thanks.

Great ride this morning ! Now that B is opened up from Redstone down to the B / B103 intersection at Haliburton Lake Rd., I can now do the best loop run in the world of snowmobiling. It was -24 when setting out - brisk and crisp, the Indy was urging me on all morning. Hats off to the HCSA groomers. Awesome job and attention to detail. Really like the side road grooming along Braeloch up to the Little Hawk dump. That really takes the sting out of the detour of a couple seasons back. Also, the grooming from Tulip Rd. up to the swamp. Thank you !!! :) A lot of people will be happy about that. Also of note is the grooming from the bottom of Redstone / Guilford Lake out to the road. That's a bit out of the way from the Whitney run, but the extra effort is really appreciated !

The lakes were awesome, as good as it gets. Kennisis Lake, Little Redstone, Big Redstone, Moose and Eagle are all staked up, yet show red on the ITG. What's up with that ? Also, Little Hawk, Big Hawk, Red Pine are not staked yet. I understood there were lots of volunteers for this ? Maybe someone on here from HCSA can chime in on these questions.

The old, unsanctioned and unofficial route to Kennisis from the east side of Red Pine up to West Shore Rd. shows signs of flakiness. Be cautious there. Here's a couple of pics.

Red Pine 1_Feb 8_18.jpg

Red Pine 2_Feb 8_18.jpg

Red Pine 3_Feb 8_18.jpg

Red Pine 4_Feb 8_18.jpg

I went the other direction and did most of TallPines 60’s. Overall they were in very good condition and Raven and Kawagama are both staked. There is a section of 64 with logging so it’s scraped down. 16 has taken a beating since yesterday but the B has held up well.

7 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

Great ride this morning ! Now that B is opened up from Redstone down to the B / B103 intersection at Haliburton Lake Rd., I can now do the best loop run in the world of snowmobiling. It was -24 when setting out - brisk and crisp, the Indy was urging me on all morning. Hats off to the HCSA groomers. Awesome job and attention to detail. Really like the side road grooming along Braeloch up to the Little Hawk dump. That really takes the sting out of the detour of a couple seasons back. Also, the grooming from Tulip Rd. up to the swamp. Thank you !!! :) A lot of people will be happy about that. Also of note is the grooming from the bottom of Redstone / Guilford Lake out to the road. That's a bit out of the way from the Whitney run, but the extra effort is really appreciated !

The lakes were awesome, as good as it gets. Kennisis Lake, Little Redstone, Big Redstone, Moose and Eagle are all staked up, yet show red on the ITG. What's up with that ? Also, Little Hawk, Big Hawk, Red Pine are not staked yet. I understood there were lots of volunteers for this ? Maybe someone on here from HCSA can chime in on these questions.

The old, unsanctioned and unofficial route to Kennisis from the east side of Red Pine up to West Shore Rd. shows signs of flakiness. Be cautious there. Here's a couple of pics.

Red Pine 1_Feb 8_18.jpg

Red Pine 2_Feb 8_18.jpg

Red Pine 3_Feb 8_18.jpg

Red Pine 4_Feb 8_18.jpg

Did you run through there??  Or go around??

8 minutes ago, gobills said:

Did you run through there??  Or go around??

I ran through there, hammer down. 

22 hours ago, ETV - Enjoy the View said:

I saw in the Minden Times last week that a sled went through the ice on Twelve Mile and an ATV went through the ice on Boshkung. Does anyone know where on the lakes they went through? I'd like to avoid those areas. Thanks.

This was talked about on a separate thread in Main Clubhouse

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18548-going-throough-the-ice/&tab=comments#comment-258588

Further to my post yesterday about Red Pine east side up to West Shore Rd. - the conditions have deteriorated dramatically. The ice is rotten and breaking up badly with increased traffic. There is too much water running, like early spring conditions, and with even milder temps coming, there is no way the ice will heal up. Pick up trail 11 / 62 at the other end of Red Pine and get onto Kennisis at the dam.  

Noticed the stakes from Little Hawk over to the middle of Big Hawk - thank you HCSA for the effort.* 

Correction : Apparently it is Oakview Lodge that should be thanked for the Little Hawk stakes - so I thank you !

Yes from your pictures yesterday to today.  It's getting very weak.   I was thought there today.  165 miles on the day.  Now on to another project getting a sled started.  Always something.

• teener unpinned this topic

Archived