2018 Haliburton Trail and Snow Conditions

Hi everybody, the  2018 season is around the corner, time for a new thread...and time to start exercising the throttle thumb. Think snow!! :icon_snow:

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m in Florida right now but looking forward to riding early January, conditions permitting. Before heading south I noticed that the Beech River bridge had large rocks at both ends of the bridge making the bridge unpassable. Will the bridge be open to sled traffic this winter and if not is there a B Trail reroute?

How are the conditions up in Hali anyways? Paul normally gives us an update and they are normally the first one to throw up a green trail on the ofsc map.

infernobuster, thanks for the compliment but I am no longer with HCSA. Still sleddin' though!! KLSA groomed their Rail Trail to Fenelon, is what I have been told. We saw the top end on Thursday  when we got home and it looked to have been done that day!! Gobills, if you are referring to the statement on HCSA's Facebook last week that there isn't enough snow to groom the Rail Trail from Kinmount to Haliburton, I would say in my experience as past Club President and Groomer Coordinator that statement is incorrect. I have also been advised there is a posting on their Facebook today that the trails aren't being groomed because the lakes aren't frozen yet?? I do know they ran a groomer down the trail last week with NO DRAG to do Operator Training. Running equipment without panning/grooming for the purpose of training makes no sense. I promised my wife I would stay out this, but when inferno referred to me I found an excuse to give my 2 cents without getting in trouble at home. Thanks dude.. we will ride soon!!

Livin'

Thanks for the input.  Yes thats what I'm referring to on their site that there is  not enough snow to run down the rail line.

I sure hope that we aren't back to where we were three years ago in HCSA land!!!!!!!  Help me if we are!!!  

Ive said it before HCSA lost a great contributor/ambassador when you left!!!

Whats a little trouble LOL

Sleds have been running it for days. I can't OK running closed trails but running a trail that should have had a groomer run, maybe. Not sure what to say, if you tell people you ran the horse but didn't hook up the carriage... you get what you get.

Livin'

On 2017-12-16 at 5:56 PM, gobills said:

Thanks for the input.  Yes thats what I'm referring to on their site that there is  not enough snow to run down the rail line.

I sure hope that we aren't back to where we were three years ago in HCSA land!!!!!!!  Help me if we are!!!  

Ive said it before HCSA lost a great contributor/ambassador when you left!!!

Whats a little trouble LOL

That is what I was afraid if. I love the hailburton area and trails were great the last few years, thanks Livin. 

Time will tell if it becomes known as hailbump again. 

3 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

That is what I was afraid if. I love the hailburton area and trails were great the last few years, thanks Livin. 

Time will tell if it becomes known as hailbump again. 

I hope everything is alright up there. That's where I've done most of my riding the last couple of years.

53 minutes ago, thetorches said:

I hope everything is alright up there. That's where I've done most of my riding the last couple of years.

Wait and see. Seems like they have some new people and new groomer operator or operators. They have allot to live up to after past few years. 

I’m being cautiously optimistic but so far I’ve asked a simple question on this forum and have not had a response so either no one from HCSA is reading this forum or they are choosing to ignore it. Their Facebook site is quite restricted in that you can not ask a question and if you post something they don’t like they delete it. 

Certainly not the open communication that we have enjoyed the past few years.

6 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

I’m being cautiously optimistic but so far I’ve asked a simple question on this forum and have not had a response so either no one from HCSA is reading this forum or they are choosing to ignore it. Their Facebook site is quite restricted in that you can not ask a question and if you post something they don’t like they delete it. 

Certainly not the open communication that we have enjoyed the past few years.

Totally agree and i know that their are directors that come on here and read but will not post.  Their Facebook account is very restricted as you say, not like a lot of other clubs that welcome free and open communication.  Im actually surprised that the replied to people on the weekend as to why there not panning the trails.  That communication will be missed as well as many other things!!

I expect we'll enjoy several great rides thanks to the HCSA this season, just as in the past few seasons.

I was quite disappointed to see the Kawartha lakes club had packed the railbed but Haliburton has not. 

Would have been perfect base building if the had of went out. It's a complete waste of fuel to take someone out in a Groomer to train on a railbed with not even a compactor bar attached.

I certainly hope this is not what is to come, but from what I have heard it's the old guard running the show again.

Good news!! Snowing like a bugger all day and a confirmed grooming of the B 103 today!!Apparently they remembered to hook the drag up today. I agree the Facebook thing does not allow the interaction we are used to. No one was implying the trail needed to be marked as Limited or Open, but when the club to the South does a pass on an ESP Rail Trail, you cant tell people there is not enough snow. I am going to assume HCSA is just getting their legs and understanding how important they have become to sledding in Central Ontario. We here were just pointing out a missed opportunity for trail base building. Can someone please go on Facebook and tell dude his view of the B112 towards Head lake is actually the Rail Trail/B103!! I would hate to think someone got on the B112 looking for food/fuel/and a warm place to stay.. Not gonna happen.

Livin' 

5 minutes ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Good news!! Snowing like a bugger all day and a confirmed grooming of the B 103 today!!Apparently they remembered to hook the drag up today. I agree the Facebook thing does not allow the interaction we are used to. No one was implying the trail needed to be marked as Limited or Open, but when the club to the South does a pass on an ESP Rail Trail, you cant tell people there is not enough snow. I am going to assume HCSA is just getting their legs and understanding how important they have become to sledding in Central Ontario. We here were just pointing out a missed opportunity for trail base building. Can someone please go on Facebook and tell dude his view of the B112 towards Head lake is actually the Rail Trail/B103!! I would hate to think someone got on the B112 looking for food/fuel/and a warm place to stay.. Not gonna happen.

Livin' 

Great news. So is it possible the rail trail might be open this week.

I am not with the club anymore, so I have no inside scoop. I will continue to report from my driveway as best I can. I still do have some friends locally.

Livin'

22 minutes ago, livin' on the b103 said:

I am not with the club anymore, so I have no inside scoop. I will continue to report from my driveway as best I can. I still do have some friends locally.

Livin'

Thanks Livin. I'll keep checking in for any updates.

23 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Livin'

You have a LOT of friends here in the HCSA, Livin' . Keep on posting.

Can someone in the area tell me if there is even enough snow yet to get going soon? Im so ready to go, we've got the cold weather but the snow has been pretty stingy. We were supposed to get a good amount of snow this weekend and then the forecast changed so that was kind of a bummer.

3 hours ago, ChrisSleds said:

Can someone in the area tell me if there is even enough snow yet to get going soon? Im so ready to go, we've got the cold weather but the snow has been pretty stingy. We were supposed to get a good amount of snow this weekend and then the forecast changed so that was kind of a bummer.

Actually right now is ideal for a good solid season coming. It's best to get lots of cold before the snow arrives. As an insulator snow only delays the opening of trails. A couple of feet of snow on top of soft marshy ground and wet spots doesn't firm up quickly like it would without the snow. Likewise a couple of feet of snow on top of a thin layer of ice on a lake hinders the thickening of the ice.

Patience.. if anyone can ride in December it's a bonus. Just think how much better it will be if we have solidly frozen ground and a foot of ice on the lakes before the snow arrives in significant amounts.

9 hours ago, ChrisSleds said:

The railbed will likely be the first to open, it has been packed but needs more snow. My guess it will be middle of next week it will go limited if it gets some more top up snow..

• teener unpinned this topic

Archived