Another OFSC corporate position!!!

SuperG

This thread reminds me of why FS and HCS Ont died. A bunch of guys continuously writing posts which do nothing but transmit negative energy into the snowmobiling community.  Then, there are a couple of dedicated volunteers trying to rebut with various facts.  The dedicated volunteers will eventually realize it is a total waste of their time and positive energy and they will give up in frustration. All the rest of us sitting on the sidelines will then leave as well and the same bunch of negative energy guys will be left behind to listen to each other in the echo chamber, just like on the other forums. 

RIP OC (I hope not)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mood may soon improve, as trails start opening.

5 hours ago, coolbane said:

This thread reminds me of why FS and HCS Ont died. A bunch of guys continuously writing posts which do nothing but transmit negative energy into the snowmobiling community.  Then, there are a couple of dedicated volunteers trying to rebut with various facts.  The dedicated volunteers will eventually realize it is a total waste of their time and positive energy and they will give up in frustration. All the rest of us sitting on the sidelines will then leave as well and the same bunch of negative energy guys will be left behind to listen to each other in the echo chamber, just like on the other forums. 

RIP OC (I hope not)

"If they don't receive any criticism regarding what's working or not working the general tendency is toward complacency with the perception that if nobody is criticising a system or process it must be working just fine." - 02sled

To compare this forum to Freedom Sledder is ludicrous - language and "conversation" so polluted I had it blocked at work to eliminate even any accidental arrival at that site. HSC? Never learned much from that place.

For the approximately 3% of Ontario snowmobilers who are actually worried about the future of this past time in the province, as opposed to just buying their trail passes and sitting on the sidelines, this forum is about the only place where higher level concerns can be aired. Try asking supertrax or the Lesters about how they can reconcile their official and long term marketing contract  for the OFSC (and all that that stands for) with pushing their own agendas or the sale of advertising in their core magazine business for equipment which is not supposed to be allowed on OFSC trails - let along whether this group has any formal qualifications for the job in the first place. Queries about this on their facebook page last about 4 seconds before they are removed.

Or how did the current interactive trail guide - the general perception being it is not as rider friendly as the last map - end up being the OFSC choice?

I forget how many years I've been a very contributing member of this forum - submit ride reports, work on accomodation posting and reviews, and generally pass on any "interesting" items, but  the tone, intellectual thinking and the life experience of the various constant contributors here is knowledgeable and refreshing.

It was via discussion through a newspaper that William Lyon MacKenzie brought down the Family Compact.

19 hours ago, coolbane said:

RIP OC (I hope not)

I happen to be a dedicated volunteer with over 30 years at it. There are things that are wrong without identifying them and speaking nothing will change until the damage is done. 

5 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Bill, do you anticipate that Paul will be asked to return to full time duties as Executive Director or has Ron Purchase returned to assume some of these duties?

I cannot and will not even begin to guess 

22 hours ago, coolbane said:

RIP OC (I hope not)

Although I agree with you in some way, the big difference is the mutual respect found here for each other and the OFSC as a whole vs. the other forums....although perhaps a little to serious at times with some of the topics.

All the various forums have their appeal, and you either enjoy what each offers or simply do not log on.

8 minutes ago, stoney said:

Although I agree with you in some way, the big difference is the mutual respect found here for each other and the OFSC as a whole vs. the other forums....although perhaps a little to serious at times with some of the topics.

All the various forums have their appeal, and you either enjoy what each offers or simply do not log on.

The respect here is the difference we can disagree respectfully and different views can be expressed  

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎05 at 3:30 PM, 02Sled said:

I would be really reluctant to give out private phone numbers... it would be opening the door to every crackpot any time of day or night. Kid yourself not... there are lots of them. You get lots of people that take exception to the rules and do really dumb things like shoot up signs on snowmobile trails. Are these the crackpots you want having someone's private number, doing a reverse lookup and now having their address.

Yes, just Imagine having the Private numbers available to everyone,  I'm just Luc the Groomer Guy and I use to get many calls at home,  (Changed Number about 7 years ago)  people asking how the trails would be in 2 weeks when they are coming for a trip... calling at 9 or 10 at night with my kids in bed.   People call the store and expect me to stay on the line while serving customers, I don't mind the people calling me and have one or 2 questions but some would hold me on for like 20 minutes or more going into small detailed questions.   I rather get e-mails.   I have a guy that calls me up every spring time to ask if the Ice is gone on "Green lake" the lake in town because he has a camp there and wants to know when the ice is gone so he can come fishing, he's an American so he lives far  he can call every few weeks until the ice is gone, when I tell him I don't know how's the ice on that lake is because I haven't been out there in weeks I can hear his tone change on the phone and he sounds annoyed.    Told him once I had better things to do. 

Is Green Lake frozen over enough that I can go ice fishing safely yet. Let me know by Wednesday since I need to plan what I'm doing on the weekend. :D Sorry couldn't resist.

26 minutes ago, The Groomer Guy said:

Yes, just Imagine having the Private numbers available to everyone,  I'm just Luc the Groomer Guy and I use to get many calls at home,  (Changed Number about 7 years ago)  people asking how the trails would be in 2 weeks when they are coming for a trip... calling at 9 or 10 at night with my kids in bed.   People call the store and expect me to stay on the line while serving customers, I don't mind the people calling me and have one or 2 questions but some would hold me on for like 20 minutes or more going into small detailed questions.   I rather get e-mails.   I have a guy that calls me up every spring time to ask if the Ice is gone on "Green lake" the lake in town because he has a camp there and wants to know when the ice is gone so he can come fishing, he's an American so he lives far  he can call every few weeks until the ice is gone, when I tell him I don't know how's the ice on that lake is because I haven't been out there in weeks I can hear his tone change on the phone and he sounds annoyed.    Told him once I had better things to do. 

How come this is not surprising.....yet so sad to read about...

34 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Is Green Lake frozen over enough that I can go ice fishing safely yet. Let me know by Wednesday since I need to plan what I'm doing on the weekend. :D Sorry couldn't resist.

Hahahah  I do get stuff like that.   Snowmobiler on the Phone "What will the trail conditions be in 3 weeks from now"? What I want to say  "Huh... The $#ck should I know 3 weeks from now?.   What I end up saying : They will be Groomed if the groomer is not broken down"   (Asking about early Feb conditions.) Snowmobiler "We are a group coming up and want to make sure that when we come up in 3 weeks the trails are nice, do you expect cold weather and snow?"  What I want to say "I'm not a weather Man, there are apps for that"   What I end up saying " Well there is snow in the forecast and the cold is going to stick around but we never know it changes often."    Snowmobiler  "How far is Dubreuilville? how many hours from where I live and how do I get there?"  What I want to say "Are you f-ing serious? are you too lazy to look it up yourself? have you just woken up from a 20 year coma and havent hear about the Internets lol and don't know how to use Google?  WTF?  What I end up saying  "I looked it up online on Google maps and you are 12 hours away, you take hwy 400 and then take hwy 17 to SSM and then go north of Wawa, it's all easy"

After all of that I still love my followers....  :)

4 minutes ago, The Groomer Guy said:

Hahahah  I do get stuff like that.   Snowmobiler on the Phone "What will the trail conditions will be in 3 weeks from now"? What I want to say  "Huh... The $#ck should I know 3 weeks from now?.   What I end up saying : They will be Groomed if the groomer is not broken down"   (Asking about early Feb conditions.) Snowmobiler "We are a group coming up and want to make sure that when we come up in 3 weeks the trails are nice, do you expect cold weather and snow?"  What I want to say "I'm not a weather Man, there are apps for that"   What I end up saying " Well there is snow in the forecast and the cold is going to stick around but we never know it changes often."    Snowmobiler  "How far is Dubreuilville? how many hours from where I live and how do I get there?"  What I want to say "Are you serious? are you too lazy to look it up yourself? have you just woken up from a 20 year coma and havent hear about the Internets lol and don't know how to use Google?  WTF?  What I end up saying  "I looked it up online on Google maps and you are 12 hours away, you take hwy 400 and then take hwy 17 to SSM and then go north passed Wawa, it's all easy"

I beside all that I still love my followers....  :)

Yes this stuff happens and it would be an improvement if those of us did this stuff for free however we make a difference and that is why most of us do it 

On 12/1/2017 at 5:46 PM, soupkids said:

I really liked to OSFC presentation on MOTS where each district would have a manager at $70K to $80K per year.

Don't know where they got that idea.

D12 can't afford to go for a dump in the bush, (no money for TP) right now.

If current forecasting is accurate, D12 will be floating boobs up in 2 years.

Is this why they have delayed opening?  Shitty that an area with such solid permit sales, and from what I witnessed over the years, good money management, is struggling for cash. The STP, although not perfect, always IMO was very prudent with the resources they had. If you guys are strapped for cash to the point where you park groomers in the early season in hopes of having enough cash flow to get the entire system up and running and provide a decent amount of grooming when there is lots of snow, there is something very wrong with the new funding formula. If I was running district 12 I might start researching how much insurance as a stand alone entity would cost. 90% of your permit buyers do not ride outside of your system, and your permit buyers bring in well over 2.5 million in revenues. The cost to cover the entire trail system right now is at around 3 million, your trails are 5% of the total, I have to wonder what insurance would cost. 

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎10 at 9:58 PM, stoney said:

When FS went down - I never re-registered and it's been over a year and strangely - didn't miss it all - I found I couldn't stand a particular member there, also couldn't wrap my head around peoples blinders as to what a douche the member is - and have enjoyed my internetting so much more not having to think about reading or replying there anymore.

Here is good for sledding info - which is all I need now - even though I don't get to ride anymore - but still enjoy reading about it and seeing people out doing it - makes me happy and jealous all at the same time.

36 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

When FS went down - I never re-registered and it's been over a year and strangely - didn't miss it all - I found I couldn't stand a particular member there, also couldn't wrap my head around peoples blinders as to what a douche the member is - and have enjoyed my internetting so much more not having to think about reading or replying there anymore.

Here is good for sledding info - which is all I need now - even though I don't get to ride anymore - but still enjoy reading about it and seeing people out doing it - makes me happy and jealous all at the same time.

I hope all is well Jamie, glad to see you popping in from time to time. 

3 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

I am still waiting to hear who is running the OFSC on a day to day basis.

Anyone Know?

Ron Purchase is back on contract basis till March 2018 as Exec Director. The BoG hopes to fill both the Exec Director and Director of Corp Operations in January.

Time will tell.

5 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Just the one, lol....

Hopefully the lack of riding is not a result of an unfortunate situation.... guessing the wee ones schedule might be the culprit!

Are you keeping the Kitty?

1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

Ron Purchase is back on contract basis till March 2018 as Exec Director. The BoG hopes to fill both the Exec Director and Director of Corp Operations in January.

Time will tell.

Thank you Big Pete.  Am I correct to presume Paul remains on staff?

2 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Thank you Big Pete.  Am I correct to presume Paul remains on staff?

Your assumption would be correct. Responsible for Insurance/Litigation/Risk Management 

17 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

I hope all is well Jamie, glad to see you popping in from time to time. 

Hey Paul, all is well - thanks for asking, hope things are good on your end as well.

Lurk every now and again - some good information in here and always interested in sledding.

Ride safe, enjoy the season!

12 hours ago, stoney said:

Just the one, lol....

Hopefully the lack of riding is not a result of an unfortunate situation.... guessing the wee ones schedule might be the culprit!

Are you keeping the Kitty?

lol, yup, just one......

Lack of riding is 100% due to the kids and their sports schedules, between the two we run 7 days a week and do not have a single free weekend ever......

Keeping my Cat - it's ready to go - should I have a window where I can sneak it in, kids have their 340 and 120 as well - have a couple more years of this crap - then I will be back in 100% - purchasing a new sled and riding my ass off!

Take it easy out there

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

lol, yup, just one......

Lack of riding is 100% due to the kids and their sports schedules, between the two we run 7 days a week and do not have a single free weekend ever......

Keeping my Cat - it's ready to go - should I have a window where I can sneak it in, kids have their 340 and 120 as well - have a couple more years of this crap - then I will be back in 100% - purchasing a new sled and riding my ass off!

Take it easy out there

Sounds like Red and you are on the same schedule....

At least the Cat has no mechanical issues...but I think RR's POO is a couple years older.

I am sure there are a couple PA days coming up the family could squeeze in a ride or two.

You as well, and thanks!

Archived