Lets talk " studs "

chez-nous cest skidoo

Posted Today, 08:10 PM

BRP offers two type of studs..which should i get & why ...  "Phantom series studs".. or for a few extra $$ " Phantom Sharp series " studs... 

cheers

mike

I do not know much about brp specific studs.  Do you have to go with that brand??

I have had woodys gold diggers on all of my sleds.  Had great luck with them I had 3 sleds that  had over 7000 miles on each and I never replaced any studs on them all woodys.

Some guys really like stud boy brand as well.

7 minutes ago, gobills said:

I do not know much about brp specific studs.  Do you have to go with that brand??

I have had woodys gold diggers on all of my sleds.  Had great luck with them I had 3 sleds that  had over 7000 miles on each and I never replaced any studs on them all woodys.

Some guys really like stud boy brand as well.

as far as i know the BRP brand studs are made by "Woody" ... atleast thats what it says on the BRP site

however i will check out the woody gold diggers

cheers

I refuse to put stubs on my sled after I put one through the heat exchanger. Cost me $800 to fix, I think, and it happened on the first day/first ride of a trip to Cochrane. From now on I am getting pre-studded tracks. But this is just IMO.   

Depending on the sled and your riding style, you might be better off with the Camoplast pre-studded Ice Attak.  I have over 20000 Km on my 2012 and almost the same on my 2015 with the original track.

2 minutes ago, Muskoka_Mike said:

I refuse to put stubs on my sled after I put one through the heat exchanger. Cost me $800 to fix, I think, and it happened on the first day/first ride of a trip to Cochrane. From now on I am getting pre-studded tracks. But this is just IMO.   

i did some riding with a guy last season who feels the same way as you Mike because the same thing happened to him, however i tried his sled out & found it to be very loose on the trail

also i love to feel the torque of the 1200 when the studs hook up

cheers 

I have had them on four sleds now and they are great for high mileage.  About the same bite as 96 studs, in my experience, so if you really need the hard launch on ice, it might not be fro you.  For my riding, I won't go back.

The studs on the BRP site are Woody Studs. Using these studs means BRP will warranty the track if anything happens. Hopefully you have a great relationship with your dealer and they'll put it through warranty if you use a different stud than in the book. Thought about using the Sharp Studs for my new sled also but Parts Manager told me there is no difference other than the price. 

Since it is a new sled I would go with brp product (should get discount around 20 percent anyway's, which will bring cost more in line with woodie product at royal). I would only instal them in middle of track area and torque them by hand. If you are carefully should last for 4 or 5 years without any issue's. A good install will ensure longevity. 

Archived