Sault ste Marie to Wawa this weekend

Mr Fixit

Heading to the Soo this weekend sledding to Wawa. Any ideas on conditions and can you still get gas in searchmont? Been many years since I've done this trip. Any tips? Thx

No gas in Searchmont. 

There is gas at halfway haven if your sled can get there on one tank. It's about 128 miles to there from the soo.Goulais river has fuel but may have to road run to get it .I did this run 2weeks ago and planning to go this weekend as well.Wawa motor in good place to stay.

Great thx. Anyone know if halfway has premium gas or only regular?

I think they only have premium, but I am not 100% sure.

5 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I think they only have premium, but I am not 100% sure.

I asked that when we were there, and was told premium.

Great. Thanks guys. Maybe see some of you on the trails. :D

Fill up before you trailer to Searchmont.  Road rash if you try to run from Goulais River as the trail has been changed to eliminate part of the trail and replaced with road running Robertson Lake Road from McGaughan Rose Road to the parking area about 2 kilometers long.  Also, the last I rode that trail they were plowing all the way up past the start of Roberson Lake.  The road through Searchmont has been getting scrapped down and sanded all year.  It was OK last weekend, but was melting down last Monday and a guy moved out to a place a couple kilometers farther than the end of the paved road/bus turn around and is plowing it down, so it is going to get muddy in that section.  After that the trail is good.

Yes, the trail is still green for spring time riding conditions........If a little road rash and dirt doesn't bother you and you have enough fuel start from Goulais River at the Zone on Hwy 17.  Your last  gas because the TSSA got rid of the other gas/store on the river.

My 2 cents worth ................ start from Searchmont at the Driftwood and have your sled full. 

Thanks so much!

Hoping the conditions hold out for the weekend. 

:D

13 minutes ago, Mr Fixit said:

Thanks so much!

Hoping the conditions hold out for the weekend. 

:D

Looks ok, might need scratchers if you don't have studs though.

I was afraid of that!

:mellow:

3 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Looks ok, might need scratchers if you don't have studs though.

Good point.  I would recommend scratchers of some type because it looks like warm during days and cold again at night.  Or may have to wait till late in the morning to ride and be done by just after dark.  All is pretty hard out there.  Can go anywhere with a short track.  Normally not possible.

7 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Good point.  I would recommend scratchers of some type because it looks like warm during days and cold again at night.  Or may have to wait till late in the morning to ride and be done by just after dark.  All is pretty hard out there.  Can go anywhere with a short track.  Normally not possible.

Hey Scott it was nice meeting you and Graham last weekend hope to see you next winter on the trails . Mark

12 hours ago, 1049 said:

Hey Scott it was nice meeting you and Graham last weekend hope to see you next winter on the trails . Mark

It was great riding with you also and nice to meet you at the 1st annual Sausage Fest on Dog Lake (DUB).  See you next year!

Trails were great all the way back to Searchmont.

Heading back up this weekend for the last ride of this season and taking the wife.  She hasn't been to Halfway since Steve and Gail.

Just wondering if anyone knows why there is 5km of closed trail on goulais

river.Is this a mistake on the ofsc map because the soo web site shows open. I was plannning on riding to wawa on Friday and back to the soo on

Sunday.Any help would be great.

I do not have an answer for you, but I can tell you that the president of Sault Trailblazers was very helpful with answers when our trip had similar issues.

BTW, the section that is red is a swampy area that was a concern for us at the beginning of February as well.  This shows on the club site also as red and is listed as "

# 12 - OFSC 'D'
Anderson Road to Goulais
(at SSM3 Trail Jct.)
The club site, if you don't have it, is http://ssmtrailblazers.com/ and I believe the president gets the emails sent to saulttrailblazers@gmail.com.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Just wondering if anyone knows why there is 5km of closed trail on goulais

river.Is this a mistake on the ofsc map because the soo web site shows open. I was plannning on riding to wawa on Friday and back to the soo on

Sunday.Any help would be great.

Hi Mark,

As sledjunk said, it is the cedar swamp which often is closed due to water issues.  It is often the last to freeze well enough to risk running a groomer through and this is no doubt full of washouts and the remains of downed trees ect. which are now coming through due to the lack of snowpack. 

I am going up this weekend, but know from the past that starting as close to the unplowed southern-most end of Whitman Dam Road is best.  The warm has taken its toll.  Looks like you could still run around the southern loop to Searchmont, but Searchmont and the road section prior will not be nice to scrape through and the gas issue means you will have to carry gas or arrange to have gas waiting for you somewhere to make it to Halfway.

It is spring riding now.  The trail is still good most of the way up to Dub from Searchmont.  Only a couple small washouts and a couple dry spots.  A gas station in Searchmont would fix lots of things all season long. 

Save yourself and just trailer to Searchmont with full tanks in the sleds.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will trailer to the road and start from there.I plan on staying at the fair mount hotel Thursday night . Do you know how long it would take to get to searchmont from there.

Mark.

Hey Mark:

Did this trip 10 days ago, beautiful ride as they just got 10" of new snow.The advice you got about starting in Searchmont with a full tank is good advice as the run from Goulais river now has miles of bare road running.It takes 45 min. to get from the soo to searchmont.There are several places to park,some just park along the road{Witman Dam Rd.},where the trail starts there is a small parking area but on weekends this fills up quick,we parked at Carl's place . Carl has a taxadermy buisiness and cottages and will watch your  vehicle for $10.,I forget what his outfit is called.It's 3hrs. at a brisk pace to Halfway Haven from there and around 3 hrs.to Wawa from halfway. Gas at Halfway is mid grade 89 and is $2.35/Lt. and I don't think they get many refusals to fill up.Be sure to to stop at halfway and try Seans soup,he always has a pot on.Another good ride is to tank up at halfway then ride back and take the trail to Chapleau,that was a really nice ride.

Might see you Mark. Dropping in same place sat morning and staying in wawa sat night. Back in the soo for sunday night.

Thx for the info

Ok sounds good I will be at wawa motor in friday and sat.I ride a black 2017 850 renegade x and my buddy is on a 600 x renegade.Im going to the soo today sometime.

We are staying at Fairfield in the soo friday night and Sunday night. Best northern on sat night. Our group is green F8, black eltigre 6000, all black 8000 and black turbo trail T660. I'll be looking for you guys. 

We are staying at the same hotel in the soo also.Wawa motor in has a nice bar and good food if you are looking for a spot to eat at. Never stayed at the place you are going to. Maybe we will meet up .

Archived