March 16th-19th Sudbury, Shining Tree, Timmins, Cochrane, Canyon and Gowganda

Carm

The plan is to leave work early on Wednesday the 15th and head to Sudbury(probably Sportsman's Lodge). Day one Sudbury to Shining Tree for Gas and then continue to Timmins, I see the C trail is closed north of Shining Tree because of logging, is the L143 in good shape and is it just as fast as the C? Looking for advance on where to Stay in Timmins as well. Day 2 Timmins to Cochrane via C and A106C and then heading to the Canyon and then back to Cochrane for the night. Looking for advice on accommodations in Cochrane and info on gas available at the Canyon on Friday and trail conditions/grooming activity. Also is it best to do the East side or west side first or just stick to the East side both there and back? Day 3 is Cochrane to Gowganda via A and A107C, looking for best lunch stop/fuel stop as well as recommendations on best place to stay in Gowganda. Day 4 is back to Sudbury and drive home.

Thanks in advance OCers, looking forward to reading everyone's comments and advice.

Carm

You can try Post 392 just south of Timmins on C trail. You will not go away hungry.

Cochrane...good luck. we are up there tuesday to thursday woth 8 of us and I just booked the last of most of the rooms in Best Western and Station House. i think thrift lodge is another place to try. It has the restuarant on the front, Maybe someone else can chirp on on this.

For Friday night we are then staying at Auld Reekie in Gowganda. There is aslo the Gowganga lodge there right acroos the lake.

What ever you are doing book any rooms you can get now!

1 hour ago, Carm said:

The plan is to leave work early on Wednesday the 15th and head to Sudbury(probably Sportsman's Lodge). Day one Sudbury to Shining Tree for Gas and then continue to Timmins, I see the C trail is closed north of Shining Tree because of logging, is the L143 in good shape and is it just as fast as the C? Looking for advance on where to Stay in Timmins as well. Day 2 Timmins to Cochrane via C and A106C and then heading to the Canyon and then back to Cochrane for the night. Looking for advice on accommodations in Cochrane and info on gas available at the Canyon on Friday and trail conditions/grooming activity. Also is it best to do the East side or west side first or just stick to the East side both there and back? Day 3 is Cochrane to Gowganda via A and A107C, looking for best lunch stop/fuel stop as well as recommendations on best place to stay in Gowganda. Day 4 is back to Sudbury and drive home.

Thanks in advance OCers, looking forward to reading everyone's comments and advice.

Carm

We are looking at hitting Cochrane around the same time as you.  Just need to confirm the dates and try and get accommodations.   We are also from Newmarket (north end) and will keep an eye out for your sled.  My riding partner just got a 2016 XRS renegade is the same colors are yours.

T

1 hour ago, Fox said:

We are looking at hitting Cochrane around the same time as you.  Just need to confirm the dates and try and get accommodations.   We are also from Newmarket (north end) and will keep an eye out for your sled.  My riding partner just got a 2016 XRS renegade is the same colors are yours.

T

Nice! maybe see you up there Fox.

North Adventure Inn...

We were up there a few weeks ago and just stopped in there to check it out. A couple guys had to make use of the facilities and by the time they came out, they did not want to stay there. they tried give us a guilt trip that we need to support them but then they need to have a clean accommadable facility.

8 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

North Adventure Inn...

We were up there a few weeks ago and just stopped in there to check it out. A couple guys had to make use of the facilities and by the time they came out, they did not want to stay there. they tried give us a guilt trip that we need to support them but then they need to have a clean accommadable facility.

Stopped for a beer to check it out last week or  a little before,  Not a pretty site,  no way  for us 6 that took a look,

Timmins- Cedar Meadows

Cochrane- The Westway 

Gowganda- Auld Rekie or Goganda Lake Lodge

conditions are good Timmins, Cochrane, not sure about Goganda or Shinning tree... Give them a call and they'll tell you the way it is.

5 hours ago, Pstn head said:

Timmins- Cedar Meadows

Cochrane- The Westway 

Gowganda- Auld Rekie or Goganda Lake Lodge

conditions are good Timmins, Cochrane, not sure about Goganda or Shinning tree... Give them a call and they'll tell you the way it is.

Thanks for the info Pstn head.

Sudbury to shining tree good to excellent.

Shining tree to timmins, plowed and closed.

Comments heard at the canyon last week about NAI were not very good.  Still No Venture Inn in my books.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Sudbury to shining tree good to excellent.

Shining tree to timmins, plowed and closed.

C trail is showing closed, what about L143?

Heard that they where going to try to get it open.

Try calling Urs at auld rikki lodge

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Heard that they where going to try to get it open.

Try calling Urs at auld rikki lodge

Showing yellow on ITG, I will give him a call.

I here the trails around gowganda are ice and a bit of new snow is needed .but Urs from auld reekie will be your best info 

I am already booked up there same time. But I am concerned about fuel between Timmins and Gowganda/Auld Reekie. 225km's is a stretch.

Is there any?

Thanks for any insight

On 3/12/2017 at 5:53 PM, XDooMan said:

I am already booked up there same time. But I am concerned about fuel between Timmins and Gowganda/Auld Reekie. 225km's is a stretch.

Is there any?

Thanks for any insight

It isn't that far. I did it Saturday, Timmins Super 8 to Auldi Reeki (and got lost catching the trail exiting Timmins, which added about 3KM). Total distance was 174 KM, and my 2013 Vector only burned 23 ltrs. Note that the L143 has about 32KM (I think more) of glare ice road travel , and since I'm not studded, best speed I could do was about 30KM/hr - doesn't burn much gas pushing on the ice. The current trail map shows the L143 as mostly straight, it isn't. Also, watch for several partial wash-outs, all passable, but a real bad day if it surprises you.

TI-GW.png

Archived