northern ride mar 1st-5th

white dragon

talked to scott (ac+ya) about early march ride,figured we'd meet mar 2 at halfway...bill,glenn,myself & special guest appearance by rob chanos met crawdaddy & Fabio on the road to Elliot lk.the weather turned bad as we headed north,we arrived before dark.trish the dish from Dunlop lk lodge see us & said "have to move you guys to cottage a group was turned around & couldn't leave,so your rooms are taken" whaaat kind of sledders turn around...guess it was bad

the cottage was great

20170302_101304_zpsjquiaah4.jpg

groomer showed up as we unloaded

20170302_100514_zpsb2mlyjg7.jpg

not a bad way to start

20170302_103804_zpsyy7m2jat.jpg

the groomer turned off pretty quick & we were left with 5" of powder snow to ride thru...darn

one of our 1st stops

20170302_121721_zpswawxq8i8.jpg

made it to Aubrey falls for fuel & food,great place

20170302_125241_zpsjh5t3vgf.jpg

Fabio coming thru the washout

20170302_154205_zpsk37s0uqe.jpg

we made it to halfway before dark

20170302_174600_zpsuydt985c.jpg

we started boozing asap,we I asked for rooms Brandon.. sean's helper said room 1,2 & 3.i said I'd like room 8.brandon saids that's skats room...I said who...skaty & paige's room...o boy...we get our burgers

IMG_20170302_195254%20%20monster%20burge

after dinner sean offered cake,said where's ice cream.big story couldn't get it showed me order...well scott & paige come in,eat their dinner then paige gets a big piece of cake with a ton of ice cream on it...I cry the blues,well I get this

IMG_2151_zpsxkjitvi3.jpg

I got cake,ice cream & a naked chick...later in evening rob mentioned something about spring rolls,next thing there is spring rolls on the table & at midnite

20170303_005224_zpskstg4zoe.jpg

this is the way I seen sean around midnite...little blurry

20170303_005241_zps02vdlzli.jpg

next morning was alittle cold but trail from halfway to wawa was mint

20170303_115846_zpsygrsenck.jpg

we arrived in dubreiulville with plenty of light,checked in at magpie & went for little ride.ran some main trails to alittle trail scott knew,it ended here

20170303_175359_zpsgzgehm77.jpg

this is where it gets bad,i noticed bill slowing down...weird...next thing he's dropped way back.i circle back to see few of guys standing around his sled...belt ?  no same bearing as nunzio "s.drive shaft bearing,secondary has a lot movement.bill limps it back to shore to trail.scott & paige double up & let bill drive paiges sled.once back to dubreiulville we get a pick up truck to go get bill's sled in the middle of nowhere at-33.very nice guy helped us out.pulled bill's sled off ( little vid of that) truck & put it in heated shop.10.30 pm to bed

next morning we had no luck with finding a bearing,550 km from truck & trailer.1100km from home.talked to pat & someone intown may have one.luckly we found one that would work

20170304_110316_zpsbocvwvhp.jpg

sstill had to get inner bearing off shaft,1st idea was a tourch to heat up.next thing bill's sled is on fire,just alittle one but snow was not putting it out so we had to use fire extinguisher...ok its out.next I asked paat if he had dremel & he did.put sharpening stone on & Fabio went back to work on sled

20170304_113608_zpsyhrxwti4.jpg

we got the bearing piece off & put new bearing on,it was not the exact one but dam close.did over a 5 min test & hit the trail.warning bill to take it ez & no wheelies...right

things seemed ok

20170304_140230_zpss1eyyqla.jpg

20170304_140241_zpsfljbgwap.jpg

we made it back to halfway for gas & heard there was another serious accident.we had coffee & hit the trail.did alittle nite riding which was great as the trail to chapleau was amazing.we stayed at a incredible resort,they picked 5 jerry can of gas for us & 36 beer.great place & food...can't remember name of place & i'm too deep into this post

20170304_225748_zpsiscjpg4l.jpg

20170305_084424_zpsetembno9.jpg

owner said it was the most sledders they had in one nite 18 packed house,10 were in cottage

next morning we said our good byes to skat & princess paige.scott showed us logging road to take on way back to save some miles as we would just make it to Aubrey falls

20170305_102548_zpsncli4pdj.jpg

20170305_102552_zpsjd1jun2l.jpg

at the searchmont tee

20170305_120439_zpswd5bbycu.jpg

south side of washout,some more customers for bearing shop

20170305_122757_zpswdv7nb6e.jpg

Aubrey falls gas was closed so we went to bear creek or whatever it is,sterting to lose focus here

20170305_151134_zpsjhnq73u2.jpg

stopped for some pics

20170305_162524_zpswgg0s2sh.jpg

20170305_162549_zpsinhqmhzf.jpg

once back at Dunlop lk lodge we loaded up,bill was quite happy to make & started to celebrate...but that's another story.

had a great time again....thx to all involved

IMG_20170302_230718%20barbie%20cake%202_

snow%20check%20joke_zpsunmgbhk3.jpg

we sledded with predator...who knew he sledded ?

image1%20snow%20dreads_zps0n87rk5u.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Is that Tommy?

crawdaddy

Great report WD, your stories make my day...lol...

Sorry to hear about Bill's sled, I guess he is trading it in?

2 hours ago, Nunz said:

Great report WD, your stories make my day...lol...

Sorry to hear about Bill's sled, I guess he is trading it in?

getting fixed,he may keep it till next yr

Budweiser, cake, and ice cream.

3 hours ago, Blake G said:

doesn't get any better,no matter who you are...lol

Great condensed post!

We all had late lunch at Big bear in Hawk Junction which was in the middle of the fishing derby.  very busy but still much faster service that the night we were there with Nunz and group.

Guy in accident 22 miles south of Halfway that evening was saved by US Coast Guard helicopter out of Traverse City, Michigan since Canadian copters won't take flight after 3:00 pm.  If still alive in the morning they will come.

We stayed at the Moose Horn Lodge just south of Chapleau.

Best food in Ontario - Halfway Haven with chef Sean.

Paige and I went on to Horwood Lake Lodge.  We turned off the trail 55 Km. past Foleyet toward Timmins and ran about 60 Km south to the lodge. 

Nice place off the grid.  Have to stay there next season for sure.

Scott   

Great report as usual Glenn. There's no possible way to have a bad time when the WD Crew sets out on a ride!

The ride home from Elliot Lake is a whole other story but Billie Bear deserved to let loose after the problem he had on the trip.

Can't wait for the next WD Ride. Will keep in touch.

Moose Horn Lodge,Chapleau

IMG_2049.thumb.JPG.c4577d99fd8d327cdc827739fcf3a5c8.JPG

Dining Area of Moose Horn Lodge  GREAT PLACE TO STAY

IMG_2044.thumb.JPG.b627a02900719e1f50bbefb2bf83f164.JPG

Awesome review WD... our sled trips get better and better every time thanks to WD and his crew, I definitely lucked out finding you guys..:D

there was no way we were going to leave Bill in dubville, our determination got him going again and leading the way...

Thanks guys for another great northern trip..

Nice report seen you guy at the Searchmont turnoff did not know it was you guys at the time we were on two vipers and a cat .We also had 17 pro s lose a jack shaft bearing 35 miles south of base camp on the east side took out chain case no brakes long tow to town truck was in searchmont .

Never a dull moment WD !! Love the pics, thanks !

Love the wildlife carpet in the pic taken from the balcony, laughed at the Predator Crawdaddy thing ... I guess jackshaft bearings gonna be an annual maintenance thing now on the Poo's ?

One day I'm gonna tag along with y'all on a trip like that ... maybe when I'm divorced ... wait, I do the ride first, divorce right after ... lol !

1049 I guess that was you and your group at the searchmont turnoff...

MXZMike the washout isn't as bad as it looks, coming south if you pick the left side it's an easy crossing...

i have good pics of it but can't upload for some reason...

4 hours ago, 1049 said:

Nice report seen you guy at the Searchmont turnoff did not know it was you guys at the time we were on two vipers and a cat .We also had 17 pro s lose a jack shaft bearing 35 miles south of base camp on the east side took out chain case no brakes long tow to town truck was in searchmont .

remember you because we were talking Michigan sleds never have custom numbers,just the orange or green big patch.you guys not allowed custom plates

No we are from southern  Ontario we were on two white and blue vipers and a orange and white cat 

3 hours ago, 1049 said:

No we are from southern  Ontario we were on two white and blue vipers and a orange and white cat 

huh,musta been other yammis I seen,sat there for a bit.trails were nice up there eh?

40 minutes ago, white dragon said:

huh,musta been other yammis I seen,sat there for a bit.trails were nice up there eh?

Ya they were fantastic 

4 hours ago, Blake G said:

and naked chick!!!  LMAO

Always love reading your reports WD.  Glad you guys made it alright. 

Just one question.  Did Billy the magician do any wheelies after the repair?????????????

There are more than a few travel writers who should be taking lessons from you WD! One reason I hope the season does not end early is to read more of your reports!

23 hours ago, extreme600 said:

and naked chick!!!  LMAO

Always love reading your reports WD.  Glad you guys made it alright. 

Just one question.  Did Billy the magician do any wheelies after the repair?????????????

we tried to box bill,but he took his 1st chance to break out.took it ez that day,final day of tour he was wfo...lol

Thanks for the great pics and entertaining report, Glenn...always enjoy reading about your adventures. :cheers:

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 5:06 AM, slomo said:

There are more than a few travel writers who should be taking lessons from you WD! One reason I hope the season does not end early is to read more of your reports!

C'mon.... don't you salivate at the opportunity to read one of the articles by Intrepid for example. I just got my OFSC email where it talks about is a trailer for you and how it can extend your season. He manages to slide his sponsor name Triton in there of course. Now if we are going to have travel writings by WD I guess we should expect a sales pitch for Poo, just to be fair. :D Actually I do enjoy WD reports.

43 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

At least the trail reports from WD are not BBBOOORRRIIINNNGGG. The Decrepid Snowmobiler is so monotone that it comes out in his writing.

I also liked all the groomer guy reports but haven't seen any lately. Fact is what I like are the meaningful reports that are focused on ride experience and not influenced by who is paying to promote something.

Archived