Cochrane - Access from Highway 11

Popeye

We (My Wife and I) are hoping to stay at a B&B on Highway11 (due to the lack of vacancies in Cochrane) the weekend of March 10th, the location is highlighted / marked on the map, is there a way to get to the official trail from that point. i have searched the web without success for more local trails to make this happen. Any information in this regard is greatly appreciated. if this is not possible, the next option is to trailer to Cochrane, which is just 5km up the road. We want to ride the 'Abitibi trail' on the Saturday, clockwise va 'Smooth Rock Falls'.

Any information / advise is appreciated, we are new to the sport. Hoping to carry a extra can of Gas, food etc.

Betty-BnB.JPG

I can't help with local trails but you could trailer to a side road and park near the trail.  You could also try to find a house near the trail and see if the owners would let you park the truck/trailer on their property which would be a little safer.

Get a hold of the local snowmobile club on Facebook and I'm sure they could give you the best local option.  Find them at: "polar bear riders snowmobile club".

How about at the Esso in SRF? Might be worth calling and asking them, the other idea would be the Polar Bear Habitat, maybe shoot them 20 bucks as a donation ?? 

Ride the side of 11 north from the B&B to Girard Rd. Follow Girard Rd. west and after it turns north, it becomes Zuck Rd. which will eventually take you to  A106C (stay right) which will take you to the A trail just west of Cochrane.

Try the golden gate motel.  They are across from the thriftlodge and beside the truck stop as you are coming into cochrane.  They just opened on Friday.  The rooms are completely renovated and very nice.  Best rooms we have stayed in cochrane. 

21 minutes ago, rushrider said:

Try the golden gate motel.  They are across from the thriftlodge and beside the truck stop as you are coming into cochrane.  They just opened on Friday.  The rooms are completely renovated and very nice.  Best rooms we have stayed in cochrane. 

Thx for the tip, rushrider.  

Hopefully the parking set-up is better organized than at Thriftlodge, where the proprietors don't seem to give a $hit where/how anybody parks their truck/trailer rigs, and as a result, too many azzhats parking wherever they damn well please, making it difficult to get out if you're parked in the middle of the resulting "mess".  The other night some idiot arrived late at night and parked his rig on an angle in front of his room, effectively blocking the only access lane to/from the entire back half of the motel....and his rig was still blocking that only driving lane when we headed out on the trail mid-morning.  Could have been tragic results if there had been a fire back there.  

Rant over...LOL.

You could try the Chimo, or the little Chinese restaurant across from the Westway has rooms. Its called the Panda Buffet and Motel.

Thx for all the replies. 

After the -25+ 11hr. Ride last Saturday from Whitney to Pembroke the ladies have prohibited us from taking them on another "ride like that", so we will trailer to "Smooth Rock Falls" n ride from there. Hopefully we can stage at the gas station at SRF. Let me know if this assumption is correct. 

I am not sure about that.  I suggest contacting them ahead of time.  Also, my preference is to ride the east side of the loop as it is much more interesting and scenic than the Hydro line.

JMO.

It is about 3 hrs up the East side (152KM) (best part of the ride as sledjunk stated. It is only about 2 hrs down the West side (85KM). I will suggest that you respect the rail crossing on the East side (in the trees) as after years of never seeing a train, our lead stopped for some reason at the crossing, and the train went by feet in front of him. Stop at the dam and have a look, if the water is running, it is a sight I'm told.

I think the West side of the Esso has space - but then you are riding up the West side, down the East side, and then back to the Esso? Seems longer to me for your ladies than just riding from Cochrane. 

The only radar trap we've seen is up the East side as you leave town, and the deciding factor is how much of an effort you make at the Stop sign at the road crossing, which he can see. Make a "real" effort to respect the stop sign and our speed was reasonable (it was), no speed ticket. Day before, some dudes blew thru the stop sign at the road crossing, so he ticketed them for everything he could.

By going up East side, you can be back to the Esso for lunch at 1PM, back to Cochrane shortly after.

Polar BEar riders has a good warm up shack part way down the West side.

AB Canyon.png

Archived