New liskeard

Akronsnow

It was bad in Sudbury at lunch time, much worse now.

Visibility less than 100 feet

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yup, unknown when it will reopen.

On 2/28/2017 at 0:37 PM, 14 snow said:

Thanks!  I exchange messaged with IF last night. Should be perfect when I ride it on Thursday. :)

Have a great trip!

14 hours ago, Ultrafrozen said:

The wife just mentioned that Hwy 11 is close from North Bay to New Liskeard.

Someone once told me that there's a route to the west that meets up with Hwy 11 (basically, a 'go around' if the closure location is known). We've been in this road closed position before. In our case, it was a truck that went off the road...wish I knew about that route then..would've saved a hotel room stay in NB. I've shared this story in the past. Ever been in a line? Car ahead of you proceeds ...MTO guy asks me to wait. I wait. A few minutes later he says 'I just closed the road'. 'But, but.'....'No. Road is closed. You can be first in the morning if you wait here'. Too funny. I guess it has to happen to someone.

We are grooming again in New Liskeard.  We are only opening the A Trail from Haileybury north at present.  North Bay is not doing their end so we will wait to see what happens next week before we head south.  The L186 is also being groomed.  Englehart and Earlton will be grooming as much as they can before the weekend.  The riding should be pretty good by Saturday in the area.  There may still be some bare spots in the fields because it was really windy when the snow came down.  You should do well to start in New Liskeard and ride north and there will be some local routes available as well.

Great news, Bill.

Thank you!!

Looks like we will be waiting another week and see what happens. Please keep the updates coming throughout the weekend and next week. Thanks

Took a late morning ride to Elk Lake via Englehart and Earlton and the trails are in pretty good shape. Lots of snow with only a few bumps and a little drifting snow in the wide open fields. Having lunch in Elk Lake and will report on A trail condition on the way back to KL. 

The A trail from Elk Lake north to Kirkland Lake was in great shape, lots of snow with the only issue being a little loose gravel on the crest of hills now and then during the first 5 or 6 kms just north of Elk Lake.  This looks like gravel put there for traction for the logging trucks and not bare gravel road.  Hauling looks to be done as the road doesn't look to have been plowed for a while.  The trail through Elk Lake was relocated just north of the road bridge so keep an eye open for signs while on the river.

I didn't take any pictures but this one near home:

DSC00258.jpg

On 2017-02-28 at 5:21 PM, tricky said:

Thanks Ultrafrozen for all of the updated info. I can't wait to see winter again. I still hope to reach KL tomorrow night, but weather and road conditions may cause a rethink with an overnight stay in North Bay and finish the drive Thursday AM. Anybody that meets up with an old father/daughter team on 2017 Blizzard and 2006 MXZ-X, say "Hi". Unfortunately we have no idea where will head from KL.

This thread started out New Liskeard, but turned to Kirkland Lake because New Liskeard was closed earlier this week. When we headed out Wednesday late afternoon, I wanted some winter back, and I wanted my busy adult daughter to know that there really was a reason to keep her sled. Well!! Mission accomplished. 

I left Milton in a light drizzle at 13C. Left Erin at 4:30 in a heavier rain at 10 degrees. Still 10C at highway 9 and 400, where we headed north and almost immediately $$it began to happen. Before Barrie the temp dropped to 1C and it was raining so hard that a couple of drivers pulled off to the shoulder.

Before Gravenhurst the rain had changed to sleet which fell steadily to north of Sundridge, where it turned to snow. After 5 hours we were just south of North Bay, with hard blowing snow and -11C, when we heard that Hwy 11 was closed from NB to New Liskeard. So we got fuel for the truck, fuel for our bellies and a room for the night. 

That same drive had taken about 3.5 hours three weeks earlier with my son-in-law. Thursday morning was clear and bright, but the highway was a bumpy, icy mess all the way to New Liskeard, where it was obvious that not much snow had fallen. The conga lines behind plows/sanders had ate up what we had intended to be our first morning of sledding. Impatient to get on the sleds, we stopped in Englehart where the trails seemed to have more snow than the Tri-Cities. A108 north to the Boston Creek junction was hard, ungroomed rollers but quite passable and we were on sleds, no longer in the truck where we had spent the previous night and that morning.

From the A108/A109 split, the rest of our day and half visit had almost all groomed, good to excellent trail conditions. Wednesday afternoon we rode 160 km riding all the local KL trails and A/A108 loop north of the city, including the side trip to King Kirkland. Stayed at the Super 8, which isn't fancy, but I like because once you know your way around is so central to everything in town. By that, I mostly mean Timmies and that a three block walk takes you to a pub that has some of the best bar food that I have had anywhere. They could use more draught beer choices, but the service and food has been great anytime that I have been there over the past three years. Sorry, I don't know the pub's name.

Friday was another cold day and my co-rider didn't want a real long day so we rode to Larder Lake, via A108 north, L101 past King Kirkland again (love that trail) to the A109 south to Boston Creek, A108 north to A110 west, to A south to Kenogami Kitchen for fuel and lunch. The Kitchen was busy with sledders who I should have canvassed to see if any were OCers. After a warmup and great lunch we headed south on the A trail thru Elk Lake and back to Engelhart via the L151 which was being groomed as we rode it. We were back to the truck loading for the drive home by 4 PM, having ridden 235 km for the short day, just as the boss had requested. 

Thanks again Ultrafrozen, for the trail suggestions. I mentioned that mission was accomplished on the trip. My daughter enjoyed herself after completely missing the 2015/16 season, and was in danger of not sledding this year. 2014/15 was a spoiler where her family could ride for six weeks right from their garage. Southern sledders have to embrace the north and trailering. Even with the travel delays we had (another plow conga line Friday night from Orillia to Barrie), we both commented on how refreshing it was experience cold and winter with fresh snow on the trees, with clear, clean bright skies forming the background. Beats hell out of the brown and grey crap we have at home. Just under 400 km in a short day and a half, and coming home with a better frame of mind, a needed attitude adjustment.

Well reported, Tricky!

I'm glad the both of you got to enjoy the trails up here while they are in good shape, sounds like you had a good time.

If you are talking about the restaurant downtown, it's called Vienna's Bar and Grill.  My 17 year old son is one of the cooks there after school.  If you are talking about the Federal Tavern north of town in the Federal area, it also has good bar food.

2 hours ago, Ultrafrozen said:

If you are talking about the restaurant downtown, it's called Vienna's Bar and Grill.  My 17 year old son is one of the cooks there after school.  If you are talking about the Federal Tavern north of town in the Federal area, it also has good bar food.

Vienna's is the place! Your son and the others do a great job there. I have also enjoyed a lunch there while on a motorcycle trip, but that was before your son would have worked there. Never been disappointed.

Sorry we missed you on the trail.

OK so if NL doesnt work for next Saturday to start from and we end up driving to Kirkland, where is the best place to stay for a night ? we would leave out of there to tour for a few days. Super 8 was mentioned earlier, would that be the best ? How about others ?

20 minutes ago, Akronsnow said:

OK so if NL doesnt work for next Saturday to start from and we end up driving to Kirkland, where is the best place to stay for a night ? we would leave out of there to tour for a few days. Super 8 was mentioned earlier, would that be the best ? How about others ?

Depends on your standard. Super 8 ,current name (3rd or 4th or 5th over the years)- looks like new paint - not sure if anything changed inside (anyone?) -if they renovated - OK, if not, rate better be low and perhaps no wife on the trip. (Receptionist at Comfort (KL) said that she thinks restaurant at Super 8 closed.

Comfort Inn has always been good to sledders, I'll be at the Comfort Inn Saturday night. Microtel is new and across from Comfort Inn. Super 8 has the beer store across the street which used to lets us park in the back corner when we staged out of there a decade ago. Comfort is close to gas and I hope some chow.

I'll be departing NL Friday morning, heading to Gowganda and then up to Timmins. Trails look ok from Quality Inn (NL) - which we also used a decade ago.

Comfort Inn has a large parking lot for your rig Stayed there the last 3 years . Super 8 not so super. trail goes right to the motel .

Gadgetman : If you're staging in NL stay at the econolodge across from the Quality, remodeled last year and cheaper. Quality inn no longer has a restaurant so its not really worth it and the econolodge has a better parking lot 

3 minutes ago, Akronsnow said:

Gadgetman : If you're staging in NL stay at the econolodge across from the Quality, remodeled last year and cheaper. Quality inn no longer has a restaurant so its not really worth it and the econolodge has a better parking lot 

Great tip thanks... Econo Lodge a decade ago - I'r rather sleep in a fox hole... Thanks. I'll make the change... The Truck stop restaurant still open - Gilles? (We've used the Waterfront now since about 2010, so I've lost the "goods" on the other side of town. 

IMG_0260.JPG

3 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Great tip thanks... Econo Lodge a decade ago - I'r rather sleep in a fox hole... Thanks. I'll make the change... The Truck stop restaurant still open - Gilles? (We've used the Waterfront now since about 2010, so I've lost the "goods" on the other side of town. 

IMG_0260.JPG

Gilli's is still going strong

31 minutes ago, Akronsnow said:

I have already stated my reason for liking the Super 8. My adult daughter and I just stayed there Thursday night. She is not high maintenance, but also won't stay in a dive. There were 6 or 7 sled trailers and tow vehicles parked sensibly in the lot and room for only a few more. This is the oldest and least expensive KL motel. The restaurant is closed, but great pub within walking distance and they do serve a decent included hot and cold breakfast, as do the other two.

I like to support places that support the district trail maps, and Microtel and Super 8 advertise on the trail map. I couldn't find a Comfort Inn ad on the 2017 map. Rooms were comfortable with decent beds both times that I have stayed at S8 this winter. There are new paintings decorating the walls and new carpeting, but older bathroom fixtures and some curios old signage in and around the place that go back to the Howard Johnsons days.

Comfort Inn is more modern, but stuck on the west edge of town, as is the Microtel, the newest of the three. Comfort Inn is about $25 per room more than S8, and Microtel is another $25 or so more again. As already mentioned, Comfort Inn has the best parking area for sled trailers. I have stayed there once this winter and many times in the past and it was totally okay, but I just like the downtown restaurant/pub.

Hope this helps anyone unfamiliar the KL accommodations. I have to say again that no club does a better job of keeping their trails groomed than KL, and that has been consistent over the past 10 years. Signage is also good. Situated where it is, KL is a great sledding destination.

You pretty much wrapped it up Tricky.  I'll add a few more points:

- East end of town (Super 8) - I hear some rooms were renovated in the last five years but not all were done; requires 1 block of road running from trail L105 to hotel; 1 block of road running for Mac's Esso gas, Timmies East next door, KFC, BDR/ Pharmasave pharmacy, beer store and 24hr grocery store across the street; Major club sponsor and volunteer MGI Collision and Auto Repair located between hotel and gas station.  Note: snowmobiles are not allowed on Gov't Road or around schools so gas access should be back to L105 and around the block to the Mac's Esso.

- West end of town (Comfort Inn and Microtel) - Comfort Inn was totally renovated about two years ago, Microtel is one year old; Direct trail access via L107 & L108; Microtel has a pool; beside Hockey Heritage North and Museum; 0.5 km walk to MacDonald's, Timmies West, KL Mall, Canadian Tire and Independent grocery store; trail access to gas, MacDonald's, Timmies, etc., via L107 & L108 with about two blocks of road running, please don't be tempted to run off trail at L107 and cut across the pond to gas, there is a walking path around the pond and we are trying to keep sleds off this path.

As a little bit of help when navigating the trails around KL, trail A110Q runs east-west and trail A108 runs north-south.  There is a 1 km overlap of these two trails south of town which causes a lot of confusion.  To complete the "ring trail", L102 runs east-west and runs north of town connecting A110Q at the west end to A108 at the east end.  Once you have a look at the map and take in these facts, getting around or through KL is a little easier.

Capture1.JPG

Heading up Thursday to Sunday. Hope to get some good running in. Staying at the comfort inn as always. See you on the trails! :)

Archived