Red Pine Lake ( Old Route ) Ice Alert

Just a heads up / caution about broken ice on the old  Red Pine route to Kennisis - West Shore Rd.  ( The official stake line up to Trail 11 / 62 is just fine. ) Be careful out there.

Red Pine_1_Feb 16_2017.jpg

Red Pine_Feb 16_2017.jpg

I'am shocked you stopped to take a pic. Looks like someone fell thru there.

That doesn't look good. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, spring has come early to that corner of the lake. It will be over there pretty son, I fear.

12 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

Yeah, spring has come early to that corner of the lake. It will be over there pretty son, I fear.

Very soon.  Like after this weekend more than likley.

Went around the holes today, is always iffy through that area.

i am sure if gets warm, will open larger, was very cold last night.

On 17/02/2017 at 5:05 PM, guppy said:

Went around the holes today, is always iffy through that area.

i am sure if gets warm, will open larger, was very cold last night.

Yep.  Almost always some open holes through there.  It's why they don't put it in the map anymore.

Good news is it's only a few feet deep at most.

With the way this year has gone, we just didn't get quality black ice anywhere for that matter. Freeze up started slowly and deep into the season and we have not had the sustained cold. Further aggravated with snow cover before the big freeze. Just not a stellar ice year.

Even up here in Hearst, ice on some smaller lakes is less than 2 feet, and not good ice.  Usually it's way better quality and twice that thickness.

I expect that water passages will be opening up earlier than usual this year, we have less frost than last year even.  Logging equipment sinking regularly, roads are crap.  Move the snow anywhere you go, and there's water.  REALLY bad year ....

Same here in Haliburton. Cold came after the snow and ice is not what it normally is. Little frost and same issue for the loggers. Logging trails are really beat up as skidders have sunk in much more than usual. Its been a challenge to get most trails open and some won't be open this season at all.

2 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

With the way this year has gone, we just didn't get quality black ice anywhere for that matter. Freeze up started slowly and deep into the season and we have not had the sustained cold. Further aggravated with snow cover before the big freeze. Just not a stellar ice year.

1 hour ago, jrhz06 said:

Same here in Haliburton. Cold came after the snow and ice is not what it normally is. Little frost and same issue for the loggers. Logging trails are really beat up as skidders have sunk in much more than usual. Its been a challenge to get most trails open and some won't be open this season at all.

2 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Even up here in Hearst, ice on some smaller lakes is less than 2 feet, and not good ice.  Usually it's way better quality and twice that thickness.

I expect that water passages will be opening up earlier than usual this year, we have less frost than last year even.  Logging equipment sinking regularly, roads are crap.  Move the snow anywhere you go, and there's water.  REALLY bad year ....

But despite everything, we will all be eagerly anticipating a better year next season, right ? :)

51 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

But despite everything, we will all be eagerly anticipating a better year next season, right ? :)

Does a bear crap in the woods.... :D I'll be looking to get our two trail permits as soon as they are available. I just may have to open up the trailer mid summer and sit on the sled making vroom vroom sounds.

24 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Does a bear crap in the woods.... :D I'll be looking to get our two trail permits as soon as they are available. I just may have to open up the trailer mid summer and sit on the sled making vroom vroom sounds.

I'm already sitting on mine making vroom vroom sounds.  Lol....  mother nature gave the south a real beating this weekend and this week does not look much better.

Even though we still have another week to go in February, I'm sure a lot of sledders feel like the season's over, but I'm betting on an incredible March.

I'm remaining optimistic and will hopefully hear of some reasonable conditions within a "reasonable" distance where I don't have a lot of road rash that I can trailer to. This is where retirement can come in handy.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

I'm remaining optimistic and will hopefully hear of some reasonable conditions within a "reasonable" distance where I don't have a lot of road rash that I can trailer to. This is where retirement can come in handy.

So Cochrane out for April as well then?

"It ain't over till it's over."

5 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

"It ain't over till it's over."

Hopefully the night time temps will hold the ice. If the ice goes, it will be tough getting around.

11 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Hopefully the night time temps will hold the ice. If the ice goes, it will be tough getting around.

It's pretty freakish mild weather for February. This month is usually a safe bet for trips etc. There just has to be more winter in store for us in March. 

2 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

It's pretty freakish mild weather for February. This month is usually a safe bet for trips etc. There just has to be more winter in store for us in March. 

Another 5 days above zero. No rain helps, but this has been a weird year.

Based on what I'm seeing for ice and lake conditions I don't know if I would want to be pulling the stakes off this year.

19 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

Based on what I'm seeing for ice and lake conditions I don't know if I would want to be pulling the stakes off this year.

Probably need to make that call soon.

how much damage has been done to the ice so far? lots of water and slush on top imagine?

32 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

Better sooner than later no point in someone risking their life.

Archived