Warm Weekend Feb 18-20

Midwestont

6 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

d101 B was ploughed heading south out of dorset towards Baysville last week. We had some fresh snow, so it was rideable and smooth. With warm weather, it could be toast if it was ploughed again.

We have been fighting the plowing all season and the last few seasons on those trails. The club packs and grooms a trail on some of the sections and 1 logger decides it's ok to go and plow it with no direction from his employer at muskoka timber mill. We will be writting a letter again to them as it's a waste of club money and they are told they need to alternate routes each year on pine springs and old wagon Rd which they don't. No communication at all from them. It's pretty frustrating anyway we are up for a week on Monday at our place on Clear Lake and we hope it will hold up fingers crossed. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many passes they sell to people after they went out for the free long weekends. I wouldn't think many. I just don't get this idea by the ofsc. I don't hear many pass holders that are in favour of this either. It's like the free fishing WEEK that is bs to me. Gets no more people buying licenses and people keeping everything the catch without giving 2 shits about limits and slot sizes or the sport. The cost of the pass is pretty cheap I think. I don't think it's the cost of a pass that stops people from buying one The people that support and enjoy the sport don't mind paying. if you don't want to pay then stay the f home lol. With this warm spell I think it could put an end to the trails around me. Hope the clubs close them early to try and save what little we have. although I don't think the freeloaders will care if they close them. Also I am sure ofsc is pushing them to keep open. 

8 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Gaspe does too! Leaving at 5 AM Sunday.  Hope you guys have a good trip Jeff. I'm sure you are looking as forward to yours as I am to ours.

Have a great trip Gents!! We r off to Quebec Sunday for a week as well.

37 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Have a great trip Gents!! We r off to Quebec Sunday for a week as well.

Have a wonderful trip Nunz and you as well IQ!

11 hours ago, Hkb82 said:

I wonder how many passes they sell to people after they went out for the free long weekends. I wouldn't think many. I just don't get this idea by the ofsc. I don't hear many pass holders that are in favour of this either. It's like the free fishing WEEK that is bs to me. Gets no more people buying licenses and people keeping everything the catch without giving 2 shits about limits and slot sizes or the sport. The cost of the pass is pretty cheap I think. I don't think it's the cost of a pass that stops people from buying one The people that support and enjoy the sport don't mind paying. if you don't want to pay then stay the f home lol. With this warm spell I think it could put an end to the trails around me. Hope the clubs close them early to try and save what little we have. although I don't think the freeloaders will care if they close them. Also I am sure ofsc is pushing them to keep open. 

Seriously, closing the trails won't make a difference. The sledders that don't support the trails aren't going to care about preserving them in +8 temperatures either.

We have the ability to close our system off with gates. But how does his affect my neighbours?

35 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Seriously, closing the trails won't make a difference. The sledders that don't support the trails aren't going to care about preserving them in +8 temperatures either.

Seriously isn't that kinda what I said at the end of my post. 

Yes.  Before kids I would ride 3000-5000 miles a year.  Now with young kids(6 & 8) I don't have the time to ride like I used too.  Snowboarding is more fun for us as a family sport.  I'm on Lake Muskoka so I just ride the lakes.  I can do decent rides in the big 3 Muskoka lakes without going on a OFSC trail.

On 2/16/2017 at 9:48 AM, Domino said:

I'm not a supporter of the free weekend, but I understand your view.  This type of season makes the free weekend frustrating when the free weekend could cause the loss of trails earlier in the regular season.

The rest of the week until next Fri' sucks too. +9 next Fri' in Peterboro.

On 2/16/2017 at 0:53 PM, 4mysled said:

My son and I are heading up to Barry's Bay and riding to Pembroke on Friday, with a stop in Eganville for the races, then we will be riding back and forth for Sat. and Sun. and heading home on Monday from Pembroke to Barry's Bay. I am hoping it does not get too warm.  If you go the races drop by say hello, we will be in the pits, my buddy has a sled in the vintage category, his sled number is 566.

Friends are going up for the weekend. I'll be texting them Sat' night to see if it'll be worth my while to head up on Sun'. Watch for a 'doo jacket & a red OC hat.

Showing 4 days of rain here in Petawawa upcoming week.   What a weird winter.  

leaving in a few minutes to do a ride around the south end of Baysville before the warmth and crazies come out ,hope this isnt the end, tons of snow here in muskoka but the washouts could pop up out of nowhere 

I got out yesterday with my son for his first ride in 2 years and my 2nd.

We left Port Perry around 9ish on excellent trails and headed east to the Ganny. I work 4-10's so I have done a lot of Friday riding and never have I seen the traffic I did yesterday!

Either a lot of people work the same schedule as me or there was a sh*t load of peeps taking holidays or calling in sick. :D

Trails were excellent but with the amount of sleds in there yesterday and the warm up coming, I'm afraid the trails will be pooched in no time, sadly.

Around 120 km's for my son and I, which was plenty for his first ride, but I do wish we could have done more.

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

Out 'til almost 2:00 last night, Epic conditions, probably the best I've seen here this year.

We've had 50cm of DRY snow since the last lovely freezing rain episode on the 7th.

Groomers working hard!

I've never seen so many sleds out as last night. Not that it was particularly busy, just that you don't often see people out at all week nights.

I think a lot of people were out trying to beat the weather, and the freebie weekend crowds.

Saw a bunch of sleds with no visible passes jetting a jump on the weekend.

I guess the ones I saw after midnight were perfectly legal!

It's -8 here, think I'm headed out soon for a rip with a neighbor who WILL be buying a pass this coming season.

Things are good around south end of Baysville this morn

20170218_085841.jpg

If this stands up I think the south will be done , it don't look good http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-7_metric_e.html

24 minutes ago, winterules said:

If this stands up I think the south will be done , it don't look good http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-7_metric_e.html

yeah i'll not run my sled in these temps, but i hear alot of sleds running the trails behind my place in mount forest

went by the canadian tire gas bar in Bracebridge, Wow,sleds line up like you would not believe it was +7 celcius im sure the Dtrail through town will be toast and with the warm spell im sure they will 

not groom,cant believe these people riding in that, i did 3 hrs in Baysville this morn then shut it down

Trails from Petawawa to Barrys Bay were holding up quite well other than the roads and railroad bed around pembroke as its usually studder bumps.   I did 236km round trip.  Left just before 10 and back just before 3.  Glad i went.  Was very pleasantly suprised how good they were.  

Give a few more hours of this +7 sun shinning down on it and will be a different story.     Didnt see nearly as many sleds as i expected.  Even the OPP were suprised at the lack of traffic.  I went 74kms without seeing a sled once i left the railbed onto the 155 west of barrys bay.  Will be parked now until colder weather and more snow likely.    Love it when 200+ kms only feels like 100kms and not 500kms.  

Rode mon tues wed this week and pretty much left tracks on any open trails that were around me. Not going to centre out any clubs trails but Hit  a few very very thin trails with exposed rocks and a couple large water holes. Old lady not to happy to cross the biggest one (maybe 35 feet) and pretty deep. She was super pumped on the other side though. Lol I find it hard to believe that those same trails are open at the end of today. Can't help but feel free weekend bs is playing a part or maybe clubs trying to get groomer hours in. I sure ain't going out in +8 weather but also herd a lot of sleds out today. So sad I am sure it will be the end of the local trails. Glad I bought a trailer this year. Best investment ever if you live in the south. 

Trails were amazing today. Again, KUDOs to the clubs for all the work. Pretty warm, and soft, great grip in the twisties!

Rode west out of Osgoode, across the Rideau river and around a 126km loop stopping at the famous Ashton Brew Pub for a pint of their Coffee Porter and a Philly Cheese Steak.

Capture.PNG

Archived