Is there an official OFSC ice thickness requirement for staking lake trails?

Blake G

Does anyone know the answer to the question:

Is there an official OFSC ice thickness or quality standard to guide club decision-making for staking lake trails?

I believe it's 8 inches consistent. Could be wrong. This is the card I have picked up at snowmobile events and it says 5 inches for a snowmobile however since you often find groups of sleds stopping in the middle of a lake I believe they err on the side of caution and hold out for 8

Capture.JPG.8d3d543fd1927ca9332ca2fea33e4863.JPG

I've "heard" that before, and that it needs to be good quality clear solid ice, not white ice. White ice is to be given half the value of good ice. But is there a written standard, as opposed to word of mouth?

5 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I've "heard" that before, and that it needs to be good quality blue or clear black ice, not white ice. White ice is to be given half the value of good ice. But is there a written standard, as opposed to word of mouth?

Not sure... the person who was drilling test holes on the route across Six Mile Lake for our club was looking for 8 inches on Saturday. The other part of the equation is that it needs to be consistent across the route so if most of the lake route is only 8 inches you can be sure there will be spots that are less so it would make sense that if the worst would be 8 then the rest would be more and 8 would also allow for variations that may occur with slush and such after the ice is staked.

Somehow I think the OFSC makes no official comment, other than to say that "no ice is safe ice."

when the tourists stop going through its good to go

12 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

:rotflmao: I almost blew Pepsi through my nose when I read that.

2 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

This is was a very helpful comment. Other post you are hoping I get beat up and now you want people to fall thru the ice. Wait...I guess you were being sarcastic just like ski bunny. Do you realize anybody can read these posts. Is that the impression you want to leave with tourists that you hope they fall through the ice. I don't get your sarcasm. How about posting something helpful or just not post at all. Cheers

2 minutes ago, GMifty said:

This is was a very helpful comment. Other post you are hoping I get beat up and now you want people to fall thru the ice. Wait...I guess you were being sarcastic just like ski bunny. Do you realize anybody can read these posts. Is that the impression you want to leave with tourists that you hope they fall through the ice. I don't get your sarcasm. How about posting something helpful or just not post at all. Cheers

I love your sarcasm Muskoka Man. Keep the comments coming!

3 minutes ago, GMifty said:

Come On. This is an old joke that has been around for years in many forms.

got your Panties in a bunch there GM?

4 minutes ago, GMifty said:

Wouldn't you like to know? This is the wrong forum for that. Perv.

Nothing perverted about wearing panties. :oops:

... but seriously we refrain from name calling here.

46 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I love your sarcasm Muskoka Man. Keep the comments coming!

Me too. Like I said I almost blew Pepsi through my nose when I read it 

2 minutes ago, GMifty said:

Got it. No name calling. Threats of violence and wishing harm to people is perfectly ok though as long as you're being sarcastic.

Enough already. The comment about tourists through the ice is a joke and nothing more. Ridiculous to think otherwise.

27 minutes ago, GMifty said:

Got it. No name calling. Threats of violence and wishing harm to people is perfectly ok though as long as you're being sarcastic.

Seems to me you started the thread about jumping out to startle a person driving.

guess he cant read Reved ,sorry your thread is going off the rails Blake 

Back on track. Like Yukon said one of the key factors is the type/quality of ice. 

we are in the construction biz,a old timer told us when you see the deer going to the islands to feed the ice is safe ,when you see them leaving it means the ice is going out soon ,been watching them do this for years and they do have a good track record ,but not saying this is how the OFSC would do it 

2 hours ago, GMifty said:

Go away, troll....

The groomer I talked to says they like 8" of good ice.

RR

Archived