Bruce Peninsula trails close because of asshats

dweese

Just saw this on the OFSC Facebook page.

Screenshot_20170209-130523.png

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad.....

It's a viral pandemic with no cure in sight.

Chances are good that the same people who went off the trail did not have an OFSC permit and will continue to ride on the same land regardless of a trail closure or not.  

21 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Chances are good that the same people who went off the trail did not have an OFSC permit and will continue to ride on the same land regardless of a trail closure or not.  

That is likely true.

4 minutes ago, BMR said:

Does anyone know what trails are affected by this?  

All of them.

I have been pondering this for a while now, if it would be a good idea to indicated where "off trail" activities would be permitted ?

Would this help our current situation.

Kind of why I'm wanting to get out of sledding and into atv instead. It's a sport that's going downhill like Eddie the Eagle with a crash landing that's going to happen. 

I dont think that that would make a difference SoupKid. The kids and disrespectful people riding off trail just don't care. They think that 50 feet on either side is still on the trail even. Needing snow to cool a machine down in low snow conditions can be done within a sleds width in most cases, no need to boondock it 80 feet into the field. No excuses for it and that's all an excuse is....a bs excuse. 

11 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Kind of why I'm wanting to get out of sledding and into atv instead. It's a sport that's going downhill like Eddie the Eagle with a crash landing that's going to happen. 

I dont think that that would make a difference SoupKid. The kids and disrespectful people riding off trail just don't care. They think that 50 feet on either side is still on the trail even. Needing snow to cool a machine down in low snow conditions can be done within a sleds width in most cases, no need to boondock it 80 feet into the field. No excuses for it and that's all an excuse is....a bs excuse. 

ATV's have their own challenges of entitled riders causing problems as well. There are many who assume that if it's a snowmobile trail in winter it's an ATV trail in summer, even if gates are closed and locked. There have been ATV riders who have cut those locks and argued with landowners in the middle of summer.

I believe from wiarton right up to tobermory...

I don't think these people and their articles about how everyone has to accept off trail riders (not just once, but going back several editions including the last one) have helped the trail system much:

"The Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) recently announced that Supertrax Media Inc. (SMI) has been awarded its Rider Engagement Communications contract after a rigorous RFP process that began in August 2016. As a result, SMI will continue its eight-year relationship with the OFSC in a new contract beginning for the 2017/18 season.

Supertrax Media has published the OFSC Go Snowmobiling Ontario Magazine since 2008. The new relationship will see the OFSC Go Snowmobiling Ontario Magazine continue as an optional member benefit for Snowmobile Trail Permit purchasers along with a subscription to snowmobiling’s largest circulation, critically acclaimed, enthusiast publication, Supertrax International Magazine.

OFSC President Remi Sauve had this to say about the contract being awarded to SMI:
“We are excited to continue our relationship with Supertrax and are thankful for their ongoing support of our organization and commitment to the betterment of organized snowmobiling. I am confident the additional media coverage and digital elements included within the new arrangement will increase exposure for Ontario snowmobiling.” "

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

I have been pondering this for a while now, if it would be a good idea to indicated where "off trail" activities would be permitted ?

Not south of Sudbury....

7 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Not south of Sudbury....

I disagree.  Why doesn't the OFSC set aside off trail riding areas.  Quebec does it.  They are called off trail parks.   There is lots of crown land south of Sudbury.  There is also lots of private land.  I know there is a liability argument, but this is a segment of the market the OFSC is completely missing the ball on.   Setup an OFSC exploratory committee to look at this and to create best practices for clubs to implement off trail riding areas.  I bet you the Lesters would volunteer on it and help.  Here's another idea.  As a club designate your off trail riding area 10 miles from a road with your groomed trail being the main access point.  Now you can force more permit revenue.  It's smart business to explore this idea in detail at the provincial level.  I've always been a flat land trail rider.  Last winter gave the Abitibi Canyon a go.  It was a blast.  Showed me how little I know about riding a snowmobile though.  We need to embrace the youth and educate them.  Don't shun them.  I for one am getting sick of reading clubs Facebook pages full of the clubs bitching.  There is definitely an issue to fix here, but negative Facebook posts aren't the only tool available to the clubs.  Build it (really just designate it) and they will use it.  If they have a place to go chances are off trail riding in the wrong places can be reined in.

8 minutes ago, signfan said:

I disagree.  Why doesn't the OFSC set aside off trail riding areas.  Quebec does it.  They are called off trail parks.   There is lots of crown land south of Sudbury.  There is also lots of private land.  I know there is a liability argument, but this is a segment of the market the OFSC is completely missing the ball on.   Setup an OFSC exploratory committee to look at this and to create best practices for clubs to implement off trail riding areas.  I bet you the Lesters would volunteer on it and help.  Here's another idea.  As a club designate your off trail riding area 10 miles from a road with your groomed trail being the main access point.  Now you can force more permit revenue.  It's smart business to explore this idea in detail at the provincial level.  I've always been a flat land trail rider.  Last winter gave the Abitibi Canyon a go.  It was a blast.  Showed me how little I know about riding a snowmobile though.  We need to embrace the youth and educate them.  Don't shun them.  I for one am getting sick of reading clubs Facebook pages full of the clubs bitching.  There is definitely an issue to fix here, but negative Facebook posts aren't the only tool available to the clubs.  Build it (really just designate it) and they will use it.  If they have a place to go chances are off trail riding in the wrong places can be reined in.

I have private land available in Southern Ontario but why pray tell me would I believe that the disrespectful people doing the out of bounds riding off our trails now be respectful of my property if allowed to use it. The disrespect would show back up as soon as the property made available is marked up by previous sledder's tracks and they will head for unmarked snow wherever it is IMHO.

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

ATV's have their own challenges of entitled riders causing problems as well. There are many who assume that if it's a snowmobile trail in winter it's an ATV trail in summer, even if gates are closed and locked. There have been ATV riders who have cut those locks and argued with landowners in the middle of summer.

I'm sure they do as well. Its a shame 

1 hour ago, signfan said:

You have some very good points but I  believe that the major problem is not off trail powder riding like I think you are referring to. I believe it's blasting across a field and not staying on the trail. It's simply a lack of respect and appreciation of the land owners that were kind enough to let us have a trail across their land. This new segment of riders with off trail capabilities are not necessarily the guys who are causing the problems. Any trail sled can go across a field. It's the all about me self entitled attitude that is the real problem. 

5 hours ago, soupkids said:

It won't help in SW Ontario. We're 99% private land. When I see our magazines promoting off trail riding it just makes me cringe. People are buying these long track paddle machines and they leave there brains at home when they ride. It will be the end of connecting trails in the south.

Just got the new go snowmobiling and supertrax and both talk about off trail and respect land owners but the rave  about the capability of today's x over sleds in the powider snow.

I am pretty sure you will still be able to get north to tobermory (that's what I was told) but just not able to do the loop. All trails are red in that area and I don't think north of redbay was even yellow for more the a week last season. Bill 100 put an end to connecting trails around redbay. lots of land issues around the Bruce. 

48 minutes ago, Doogirl69 said:

Whats up with Manitoulin Islands trails? Nothing open there.

:(

The snow that Manitoulin had before the melt completely went away.

Even with the snow they had many places where wet, very wet.

I'm sure they will try to get trails open but ....

The part that was lost on the loop is on the b107 side. You can not get from wiarton north to lionshead anymore.  thanks to all those people that just can't stay on the trails. 

Hkb82 do you know is it the complete B107 lost? just wondering as we have a cottage on Mallory Beach.

Archived