Petawawa/Pembroke area 130km loop today

shawnj

Well I decided to try the 127 out of Petawawa today, knowing it wouldn't be very fun getting out to hwy 17.  It was extremely rough, and of course 101 driveways.  It is doable if take your time.

It would be nice to see the groomer down it at least once this season if possible, I know they can't groom around the driveways but there is a bit of a stretch nearer the airport that could easily be done.  Its almost not a trail at all but rather a ditch banging.   Once across hwy17 the groomer had been recently there.  It was fairly hard packed, was quite a bit of ice chunks and some gaps, small holes and bumps so be careful in that short stretch that I think the ITG is showing yellow currently.  It got better the further I rode, once across Barron Canyon road it improved considerably.  I took the 127 until it met up with the 125 and I ran into the groomer about a mile before it hits the B-Trail (railbed).    The B -Trail south was awesome,  hard and flat.  I took it until it met the B102 and the only bad spot was on the B102 when it crossed Round Lake Rd.  Logging trail fairly heavily sanded.  Probably a good 2 or 3 kms Im guessing.  Not many spots to get into the loose snow for cooling either, but I managed ok.

The B102 and the B101A were flat and not a bump hardly.  Ended up taking the B back into Pembroke and it was quite nice as well.  Once on the A trail coming from Pembroke into Petawawa the trail got a bit wash board effect, but much improved now the colder weather is here.  All in all,   was a great afternoon, seen two sleds in 130kms.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2017 at 8:03 PM, shawnj said:

Well I decided to try the 127 out of Petawawa today, knowing it wouldn't be very fun getting out to hwy 17.  It was extremely rough, and of course 101 driveways.  It is doable if take your time.

It would be nice to see the groomer down it at least once this season if possible, I know they can't groom around the driveways but there is a bit of a stretch nearer the airport that could easily be done.  Its almost not a trail at all but rather a ditch banging.   Once across hwy17 the groomer had been recently there.  It was fairly hard packed, was quite a bit of ice chunks and some gaps, small holes and bumps so be careful in that short stretch that I think the ITG is showing yellow currently.  It got better the further I rode, once across Barron Canyon road it improved considerably.  I took the 127 until it met up with the 125 and I ran into the groomer about a mile before it hits the B-Trail (railbed).    The B -Trail south was awesome,  hard and flat.  I took it until it met the B102 and the only bad spot was on the B102 when it crossed Round Lake Rd.  Logging trail fairly heavily sanded.  Probably a good 2 or 3 kms Im guessing.  Not many spots to get into the loose snow for cooling either, but I managed ok.

The B102 and the B101A were flat and not a bump hardly.  Ended up taking the B back into Pembroke and it was quite nice as well.  Once on the A trail coming from Pembroke into Petawawa the trail got a bit wash board effect, but much improved now the colder weather is here.  All in all,   was a great afternoon, seen two sleds in 130kms.  

Hi, I'm thinking of trailering up to Pembroke Saturday, and then doing this loop:

B trail, 155, B into Barrys Bay (fuel).

return:

B102 or B101A, B, Pembroke.

Questions are:

if we depart From the Husky,  is this loop doable on a day ride; and

how receptive is the Husky to parking there for the day in some back corner?

thanks for any input or suggestions.

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

Hi, I'm thinking of trailering up to Pembroke Saturday, and then doing this loop:

B trail, 155, B into Barrys Bay (fuel).

return:

B102 or B101A, B, Pembroke.

Questions are:

if we depart From the Husky,  is this loop doable on a day ride; and

how receptive is the Husky to parking there for the day in some back corner?

thanks for any input or suggestions.

No problem with day ride.  Have done pretty much this in years past, (not this year as of yet).  I have not ridden the 155 you mentioned before, but Im sure its a nice trail and may add a little bit to the route Ive taken in the past.  Take not of the yellow sections on your return route.  Theres a thread on here about the recent trail closure and now re-routed to road running near Killaloe area.  If someone has run this re-route perhaps they will share there input.  You mean the Irving Truckstop on hwy 17? If so, always trailers there.  Popular spot.  Not sure if you have to let them know inside at the gas station or not but probably not bad idea to check.   Trails likely get busy so start early. 

Went for a quick spin outta Petawawa.  Took the ditch/driveway leaping 127 trail with hopes it would be good once I hit the trail. Not so much.  A bit rough to the Rail bed.  Took an hour to go the nearly 30kms across.   The railed was good training for a professional bull rider.  I was going to head further but turned back within a half km and headed back home.  Met the groomer on the Railbed B Trail about 15km out from Pembroke.  Just before I met him I also met 3 sleds.  Once around the groomer I was surprised how much damage from just 3 sleds do to a trail that was groomed just now.  Unfortunately I had to add a fourth track to it when safe as the direction I was going was awful and I just wanted to get home.  62kms in just shy 2 hrs pretty much non stop except for 5 minutes maybe.  

6 hours ago, shawnj said:

No problem with day ride.  Have done pretty much this in years past, (not this year as of yet).  I have not ridden the 155 you mentioned before, but Im sure its a nice trail and may add a little bit to the route Ive taken in the past.  Take not of the yellow sections on your return route.  Theres a thread on here about the recent trail closure and now re-routed to road running near Killaloe area.  If someone has run this re-route perhaps they will share there input.  You mean the Irving Truckstop on hwy 17? If so, always trailers there.  Popular spot.  Not sure if you have to let them know inside at the gas station or not but probably not bad idea to check.   Trails likely get busy so start early. 

Yup, the Irving Truck stop. We'll leave Ottawa at 7, so on the trails by 9:30... Great thanks...

18 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Yup, the Irving Truck stop. We'll leave Ottawa at 7, so on the trails by 9:30... Great thanks...

The railbed out of Pembroke will likely be bumpy.  Even with it being groomed it doesn't last.  I tried today for a bit but just no enjoyment. 

Was just talking to a group in from Halliburton and said trails were great until they got coming into Pembroke.  

Lost count at 70 sleds in the hotel tonight in Petawawa.  Likely close to 80 at the moment and more to come potentially.  

1 minute ago, shawnj said:

The railbed out of Pembroke will likely be bumpy.  Even with it being groomed it doesn't last.  I tried today for a bit but just no enjoyment. 

Was just talking to a group in from Halliburton and said trails were great until they got coming into Pembroke.  

Lost count at 70 sleds in the hotel tonight in Petawawa.  Likely close to 80 at the moment and more to come potentially.  

Thanks. Just modifying the route to add Spectacle Lake Lodge as the lunch stop, then backtrack to Barry Bay for fuel and then either back track or work our way East. (Why I have a great suspension - traded the "stupid fast" HP of the Apex for power steering and about 1 KM (or 2) per Litre of gas better economy..:-)

Thanks

You ride a 13 vector ltx?

you say it rides much better than the Apex then?  Just currious. 

6 minutes ago, shawnj said:

You ride a 13 vector ltx?

you say it rides much better than the Apex then?  Just currious. 

The LTX is a big help on smoothing out stutter bumps, the Apex was and Vector are LTX. I rode a non LTX, and noticed that the ride wasn't as smooth. Ensuring it is set up for your weight is crucial. The power steering is worth it for me, having had surgery on both shoulders. The only thing I didn't like about the Apex was the annoying engine\track resonance right at touring speeds, I even had custom ear plugs made to quiet it down.

This summer I will likely add about 2 inches to the seat to help the knees out, and looking at getting the front shocks rebuilt for my weight; instead of generic design. 5 of us moved to Yamaha starting in 2010, after a total of 4 pistons blew over 3 years on 3 different Ski-Doo sleds (600 SDI).

"Getting old isn't for wimps"

Cheers

Mine is the 2010 Apex LTX. Love the motor and power it has.  Even after over 14000 kms it is still very touchy, its got snap so to speak.  Hooks up well with the studs and barely spins.  I hardly make a mark in the trail sometimes unless its really soft of course.   Have never broke bent or lost a stud ever.   Will be thinking about doing something in the next yr or so, just not sure what yet.    I find the bumps are just hammering my sled and thats at 30kms per hr max.  Maybe the shock is getting weak??

16 minutes ago, shawnj said:

Mine is the 2010 Apex LTX. Love the motor and power it has.  Even after over 14000 kms it is still very touchy, its got snap so to speak.  Hooks up well with the studs and barely spins.  I hardly make a mark in the trail sometimes unless its really soft of course.   Have never broke bent or lost a stud ever.   Will be thinking about doing something in the next yr or so, just not sure what yet.    I find the bumps are just hammering my sled and thats at 30kms per hr max.  Maybe the shock is getting weak??

If you haven't had them rebuilt, then I suspect most definitely that they are due and most likely the cause. I want to get my fronts to match the ride of the big center.

I never did find out the top speed of the Apex, as I backed off while punching thru 160 KM\Hr once.

I seen 173 or 174kph on gps in 2013 out on lake nippissing.  

I dont know much about checking shocks. Mine is also the GT model, adjust on the fly if it makes a difference.  

If id had it to do over again i would of put the M10 suspension in day one. I had it in my polaris and was a dream to ride

I had Frank rebuild my Ohlins, ( Apex GT LTX) and my front GTYR as well as re-valving. I don't think anything is going to be great on a washboard, but as for the rest, I'm VERY happy with the Apex suspension. I raised the bars 3" this year, as soon as I get time, the seat is coming up 2".

The noise and the throttle response has me grinning even at the end of a 300+ K day.

On 2/9/2017 at 10:31 PM, shawnj said:

The Vector stays pretty  close to the Apex up until about 80 mph from a stop. I still love the looks of my 2010 Apex (Blue and white) over my Blue 2013 Vector..Bought the Apex in Kap Feb 16th, after blowing my 2nd piston in 3 years on the 600 SDI BRP just south of the Abitibi Canyon. Walked in at 9AM, drove away at noon on the new Apex. Came home at the end of the trip, and my wife asked me why the color of my sled was different - I said "Happy Valentines Day" .:-). 

IMG_0286_B.JPG

2 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

The Vector stays pretty  close to the Apex up until about 80 mph from a stop. I still love the looks of my 2010 Apex (Blue and white) over my Blue 2013 Vector..Bought the Apex in Kap Feb 16th, after blowing my 2nd piston in 3 years on the 600 SDI BRP just south of the Abitibi Canyon. Walked in at 9AM, drove away at noon on the new Apex. Came home at the end of the trip, and my wife asked me why the color of my sled was different - I said "Happy Valentines Day" .:-). 

IMG_0286_B.JPG

Very Sweet,  or is that what she said. LOL

I was going to go for a ride tonight but went for a drive in truck to check out the trails. Not groomed here in Pet and checked far end of Pembroke and as of 5 tonight nothing down that way either.  

I know how bad it was on the weekend and now after even more traffic and snow since , it wouldnt of been very fun. 

See what tomorrow brings. 

Was talking to another couple folks up here( up from south of ottawa area) and they too were quite suprised at the upkeep of the trails in this area.   I remember Pembroke was the place to go in years past.   Definatley not the same as it used to be.   Ya i can hear the thoughts or comments, volunteer you're time.  

Been there and done that for many years down home.  Wanted to learn the grooming , offered to learn to groom -Oh No, that wont happen.  LOL. 

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the heads up Shawn.. will be trailering to Chalk River to  find smooth trails 

That said.. I did see fresh grooming around Pembroke last two times on Hwy 17.. could be mechanical issues? 

On 2/10/2017 at 7:56 AM, manotickmike said:

I had Frank rebuild my Ohlins, ( Apex GT LTX) and my front GTYR as well as re-valving. I don't think anything is going to be great on a washboard, but as for the rest, I'm VERY happy with the Apex suspension. I raised the bars 3" this year, as soon as I get time, the seat is coming up 2".

The noise and the throttle response has me grinning even at the end of a 300+ K day.

X2 on the rebuilding & revalving. I had a '95 MXZx 440. Wayy to stiff as they came from the factory. Had the dealer revalve them for 'trail' use. Much better ride after that. When I take the shocks from the Blizzard in for their 1st service, I'll let the shop know about my riding & weight.

Back to the trails, any idea what conditions are like around Killaloe & Wilno? I'm heading to Eganville on Sun' for the races. Depending on the time they're over I may "take the long way home' & check B102 along the highway.

Looks like this weekend will be the last!  Monday and Tuesday has significant rain followed by above freezing temps for the next 2 weeks!

Archived