Blizzard of '77

dweese

My grandfather has told me stories about using plows and blowers off CFB Trenton to clear the roads in Prince Edward County during this storm.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/blizzard-of-1977-meteorological-analysis-canada-niagara/78699

Couldn't imagine this today... the world would come to a stand still until June...

I remember that. Massive snow everywhere. There were entrepreneurs selling t-shirts about having survived the blizzard.

I was working in Stratford and we could not leave the plant until about 10 pm.  I drove home to Milverton with very bad visibility in a 1975 Dodge Coronet 2wd car.  Today no one would have the guts to do that.  That is how we got around.  The next morning all roads around the town of Milverton were not passable.  The police did not have to go out and put up road closed barriers.  The snow did that already.

BP

Few people had snowblowers back then. It was shovel power to clear your driveway. Of course that chore fell to me an my brother.

20 for me....

I was 9

Man that's a crazy amount of snow! Really wish we could get half of that right now!

I was 17 - grew up in Hamilton - no schools for a week.  We drove down Highway 20 on a 1976 arctic Cat Jag getting people out of cars, remember stopping and realizing there was a car under us…it was crazy!  Never forget it  - scary but fun!!

I was just over 30 days old...

I think blizzard of 71 was worse.

blizzard '71 front cover

13 hours ago, Yamatario said:

blizzard '71 front cover

My wife was born in Cornwall the weekend of the 71 storm... She came home from the hospital on a snowmobile.. Hasn't like sledding since LOL...

4 hours ago, dweese said:

My wife was born in Cornwall the weekend of the 71 storm... She came home from the hospital on a snowmobile.. Hasn't like sledding since LOL...

Damn knee breakin' Hus Ski possibly. That would do it!

I rode down in the step well of our high school bus with the door open a bit telling Ken the driver when I saw a hydro pole. We got home the 12 miles inland from Goderich but just barely. My best friend rode on our bus as he knew his bus which ran side roads wouldn't make it. I had to take him home so he could do chores, as he was the one running the family farm at age 14.

We took my dad's Hus Ski. Couldn't see much on the 3 mile trip. At one point on his road we were going along and all of a sudden the handlebar of the Hus Ski came down hard on my knees as we it a huge drift on the road. It went up over the drift and we got to Bill's place OK. My ride home was a bit better as I could see some of my tracks made on the way to Bill's. We were off school for most of a week.

17 hours ago, Yamatario said:

blizzard '71 front cover

I agree for a couple of reasons. I was on my way from Alliston to Barrie when the storm was just getting into high gear. I made it to Thornton where my pickup truck had had enough of drift busting and quit. I got backed into a farm laneway and walked a short distance into the village. Went to the only garage in town and I went with the tow truck to bring my pickup to the garage. We where the only vehicle on the road by that time. We towed it to the garage where it stayed for four days until highway 27 was plowed using dozers and graders to clear the snow.

The above was the first reason to rate the 71 storm as the worst, the second reason was based on Thornton not having any 5 star lodging available and I ended up in a nice Ladies house on the main street, sleeping in a double bed for three night with a rather large truck driver who was also storm stayed in the village.

I can tell you, it's hard to get a good nights sleep with one eye and both ears trained on any movement from the other side of that bed!!!!!!!!!

I was 3 in 1977. 

1977 was grade 9. I had other things on my mind.

Archived