Eastern District 1 trails

Mooseman

Just went out tonight, saw groomers out on Carleton Regional and (gasp!) Osgoode Carleton trails.  The last snow we got yesterday was pitiful but they're trying to use it as best they can.  Osgoode's groomer is having a harder time though, maybe inexperience or lack of enough snow, leaving divots and mounds of snow at trail entrances and intersections.  So probably everything that is currently yellow (Carleton Regional, Eastern and Glengary) will go green by tomorrow and Osgoode may go yellow if they can get their thumbs out of their butts!

Fingers crossed! Trails to Navan were in great shape last Thursday, just not enough snow to keep the Apex cool at ~ 0 c.

Status' of the trails have remained the same, including Osgoode Carleton which remain closed, even though they were grooming.  What a bunch of r'tards.  How can this club from going from the best to the worst?  When George was there, he'd have the groomer out there and WE would be open when everybody else would be closed.

Snow on the trails is OK.  There were some spots where I noticed my temps go up (I installed a gauge) but would go back down quickly once there was a little more snow.  Never got the light.

@manotickmike ,  I put some Water Wetter in my coolant and 50/50 mix, helps me keep it cooler and the gauge is good to have.

2 hours ago, Mooseman said:

What a bunch of r'tards.  How can this club from going from the best to the worst?  When George was there, he'd have the groomer out there and WE would be open when everybody else would be closed.

Don't take this personally, I don't know if you help the club out in that area, but a statement like that may make a volunteer throw in the towel and say screw it.  Then there is one less person to do the work that is only being done by a few 

Not taking it personally at all.  I used to volunteer A LOT with the club but unfortunately, due to changes to my work schedule, I am unable to as much.  I was there when the club was in its glory days and the current administration is just not up to par.  Can't even make proper decisions on getting the only running groomer fixed properly before the one good snow storm we had last year so our trails remained closed while others all around were groomed and open.  A lot of other things have fallen off since then.  By leaving the trails closed, they don't realize the businesses around them that suffer and the loss of ridership.

Having ridden on both sides, the trails are exactly the same condition which begs the question why they are delaying opening them?

Last year, my first in the area, you could almost FEEL the tension in the area. Trails were closed, but as I drove by the road crossings, there was either traffic, or tracks. The night following the 50+ cm dump, there were literally 50+ sleds out.

Last year was just bad, period.  Osgoode weren't rideable.  At least CR were grooming and open but with such a late first snow, I only did about 600Km last year.

Some good news, Osgoode just opened theirs yellow, same as the others, except for part of A Trail from Mike's Restaurant to 8th line, probably due to thawing of the swamp.  Southern clubs (i.e. Nation Valley, Riverside, Seaway Valley) remain closed as they had little to no snow base to begin with the farther south you go.  Heading west, more trails opened yellow like Rideau Club and then farther west heading to Pembroke and beyond with a few green.  The crossing on Rideau river is likely detoured to use the alternate bridge crossing as there are no safe water crossings.

Unfortunately, I'm working this weekend but off all next week to get some riding time.

More good news...  All of Osgoode Carleton just went green, including A Trail swamp across from Mike's.  Everything south of us is closed.  The Rideau River crossing (at the River Bend Restaurant) is yellow heading into the Rideau Cub Trails.

I'm heading out there now  sled1.gif

Have a good ride! By the look of the trails visible from the roads today, you'll have company!

Just got back.  Very nice!  Both groomers were out today on the OC trails.  Only place that's a bit bare is from the KOC (rail bed) to the Rideau River.  Went a bit on Rideau Club's trails and they were just as good as OC's so I don't understand why theirs aren't green as well.

Went to the OC general club meeting.  Lots of people there this time.  Grooming issues came up.  They just got a new groomer but they received little instruction on how to use it and needs a lot of practice to be comfortable with it.  Because of that and other issues, they admitted being late to the game but are now ramping it up to try and groom every day.  So yeah, I may have been a bit premature with my comments earlier.

On another note, they're planning some activities, including drag races on Feb 11, Ride for Her and because they just got a new hot-dog roller and bun steamer, hot-dog nights!  Can never go wrong with tube-steaks!

• 3 weeks later...

I think we're done here.  Been getting some cold at night but the melt is taking its toll as well as the inability to groom.  I went out yesterday, all the trails are yellow and south are now closed.  Went from Greely to Rideau Club's trails across the Rideau river where the ice crossing is still open but rough as hell.  Went through Marlborough Forest.  All the trails were mostly thrashed and iced up with lots of whoops and speed bumps. There were some nice flat parts on long flat portions. Road runs were brutal.  My sled didn't overheat but it ran mostly 5-10c hotter than usual, around 80-85c.

Trails are still open for now and part of Carleton Regional has just come back to green but I can see this lasting at most 2 more days.  +6c today, rain tonight with +2c and into more rain and +10c Thursday.  I'm not going out today.  My body is still recovering from yesterday's ride.

It's getting tougher to keep loving this sport. :-(

Stick a fork in it.  No way we can recover from this even if we get a dump in March.  Trails are closing faster than hookers running out of church.  Some trails are open in the eastern part/Alexandria area but that will likely close soon.

I'm taking up drinking.  At least I can do that all year round!  all_coholic.gif.a585865f1483305a80a95b8093aad0f5.gif

6 hours ago, shawnj said:

Cochrane anyone???

Rooms are getting booked fast. We're booked from Mar 9,10,11 at westway.  There was some rooms for next weekend but could be gone by now. Call soon

8+ hour drive and probably so many sleds, it'll be like the free weekend up there.  Now thinking of trailering there with my son next week.

I had booked off all this week and next for sledding and this is what I got :angry:.

Hard to say how many will be there. 

Be nice to get up that way again. Was there once back in 2013 and was awesome.  At least there are a few choices for accomodations there as well. 

Not looking like sledding season here thats for sure. 

Looking at the available KM, went from 20,000km Monday now to 9,000km.  We're losing trails by the minute.  Sad times.

Quite the thunder and lightening storm in Pet tonight. 

Archived