L123 from Opasatika

sledjunk

I noticed that this trail is listed as closed from Opasatika to L145.  Does anyone have any information on this closure and when it might be 'available'?

TIA

Might be a big hump in the way. Sorry I couldn't resist :) 

4 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I noticed that this trail is listed as closed from Opasatika to L145.  Does anyone have any information on this closure and when it might be 'available'?

TIA

By sounds of the kap snow rovers facebook page they have not got around to groom it yet..Last season we were through that particular section and remember breaking trail.. Were headed that way next thursday and will ride that next friday and find out..

We are supposed to ride that the following Tuesday.  Hope it is open.

We also have an issue with C between Gogama and Gowganda near Mattagami First Nation and where it parallels Hwy 560 to Shining Tree and the 'Former C Trail'.

Some of these sections are critical to our upcoming trip and if they stay closed will cause serious re-routing.

Looking for updates on these as well.

50 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

We also have an issue with C between Gogama and Gowganda near Mattagami First Nation and where it parallels Hwy 560 to Shining Tree and the 'Former C Trail'.

Some of these sections are critical to our upcoming trip and if they stay closed will cause serious re-routing.

It's odd that L142 is showing green and the C is red with one small section of yellow in the middle. Looks to me like you could run roads to get through that section if you had to.

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I believe I read that you could cross a roadway bridge to bypass that section. ... check with @Ultrafrozen, I ththink he was in the know about this. 

I think the section on 123 was waiting for the Lost River water crossing to freeze over to the required thickness before it can be groomed. Might be a while considering I lost a foot of snow in my back yard, and snirt was starting to show up on the access trail by the tracks last Saturday .......

Thanks for the info on L123.  The other sections are shown here.

xxx.jpg

27 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Thanks for the info on L123.  The other sections are shown here.

xxx.jpg

Yeah, I believe those red sections were due to water hazards. PM our KL friend, I'm sure he knows what the deal is. 

You can control your garage heat from the computer? 

22 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Yeah, I believe those red sections were due to water hazards. PM our KL friend, I'm sure he knows what the deal is. 

You can control your garage heat from the computer? 

I believe UF was referring to the A trail elk lake crossing and instead just crossing the bridge instead of on the river. 

The other closed parts on C look to be the Matagammi river crossing and ongoing issues in shinning tree. I would call gem club or message them on Facebook for an update. The L143 looks open to where the Timmins club comes down so there is that option and also grassey lake road. 

I have reached out to the club but haven't had a response yet.

That day we are supposed to ride from Post 392 to Gowganda Lake with lunch and fuel in Gogama.  L143 is an alternative, but I am not sure about fuel as it looks like about 200 Km.  Possibly doable but could be real tight in certain conditions.  Also, long day with no lunch :-(

Hi, Derek here. I look after the "C" trail for 60 kms either direction from Shining

Tree. The "C" trail passes right by the village of Shining Tree with a 1 km of local trail L142 dead ending @ Shining Tree Camp for premium fuel and or snacks. No bar or grill but microwaveable snacks like chili, stews, ravioli, etc........ store is open 8am - 10 pm while the trails are open. This is not advertising, just informing. Now for the trails. They presently show closed on either side of Shining Tree because on the South side some rocks are showing through the trail. On the North side for 10 kms along the highway 560 it is a new trail so no back tracking but all the snow was used scraping up enough to make the deep ditches passable on five road crossings. When the melt came, it was dirt for quite aways on either side of the crossings and some ground stumpage poked out too. We just need some snow now and all will be good. Snowing as I type. It will probably be good for sleds before I can get the heavy old girl back out for grooming so use my phone number if you need real time reports. Hope this helps, Derek.

Ps- the Mattagami Lake shows read because of it was deep slush, now it should be frozen but rough. Also the yellow coming in on either side is just fine, just had it down graded from green so it did not look attractive because there was no way to get there without going through bad sections. Will open soon as we get snow and get a pass in with the equipment.

8 hours ago, kered said:

I look after the "C" trail for 60 kms either direction from ShiningTree ..

I appreciate the time you took to post this ( and for grooming!). I'll be following Sledjunk's GPS'ssss on this northern adventure and your update is timely and helpful to our group. Thanks.

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:58 PM, sledjunk said:

I have reached out to the club but haven't had a response yet.

That day we are supposed to ride from Post 392 to Gowganda Lake with lunch and fuel in Gogama.  L143 is an alternative, but I am not sure about fuel as it looks like about 200 Km.  Possibly doable but could be real tight in certain conditions.  Also, long day with no lunch :-(

Call Ron at the camp gowganda lake lodge, he is president of the elk lake trail blazers. Should have some answers and maybe L143 is rideable instead of the C, pack a lunch and siphon in case a sled or two runs short :-)

12 hours ago, kered said:

Hi, Derek here. I look after the "C" trail for 60 kms either direction from Shining

Tree. The "C" trail passes right by the village of Shining Tree with a 1 km of local trail L142 dead ending @ Shining Tree Camp for premium fuel and or snacks. No bar or grill but microwaveable snacks like chili, stews, ravioli, etc........ store is open 8am - 10 pm while the trails are open. This is not advertising, just informing. Now for the trails. They presently show closed on either side of Shining Tree because on the South side some rocks are showing through the trail. On the North side for 10 kms along the highway 560 it is a new trail so no back tracking but all the snow was used scraping up enough to make the deep ditches passable on five road crossings. When the melt came, it was dirt for quite aways on either side of the crossings and some ground stumpage poked out too. We just need some snow now and all will be good. Snowing as I type. It will probably be good for sleds before I can get the heavy old girl back out for grooming so use my phone number if you need real time reports. Hope this helps, Derek.

Ps- the Mattagami Lake shows read because of it was deep slush, now it should be frozen but rough. Also the yellow coming in on either side is just fine, just had it down graded from green so it did not look attractive because there was no way to get there without going through bad sections. Will open soon as we get snow and get a pass in with the equipment.

Thanks Derek.  We are scheduled to ride from Post 392 to Gowganda via Gogama on Feb 8.  Fingers crossed that you (we) get the snow and cold in that area, as well as many others.  Good information and I may PM you as the date gets closer.

4 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Kap snow rovers is reporting the L-123 will be finished this weekend.. Woot woot.. just in time for my leisurely tour of 50 kms/h  next friday..B)

Good news!

If link does not work, it sounds like theres a section of logging of 10kms long that has little to NO snow on it between the A trail from Opasatika to the L145.  When i run it this coming friday i am going to run from the moonbeam side to the L145 and up to Harty on the Top A. Not going to run the 10 kms section. Sounds like your sharing the road with the trucks etc. Logging is suppose to be not working on the weekends though..

Thanks for the info.  As we are riding during the week, I think we'll take 145 instead as well.  Too bad, but not the end of the world.

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Thanks for the info.  As we are riding during the week, I think we'll take 145 instead as well.  Too bad, but not the end of the world.

Exactly SJ..  not entirely worried about it, as i am sure from the L145 and on down the L123 will be business as usual..B):icon_steer:

I will try and remember to send you a text and let you know conditions..

8 hours ago, sledjunk said:

We rode that route back from Kap yesterday.

There's that damned section of road we gotta run near Harty, about 1km.  Not far East of that there's a 1.5km of section of road that's plowed by Hydro, new and no notice anywhere.  It's driveable, but bouncy a bit. 

The 123 was nice, other than being a bit crusty from the warm-up last week (almost everywhere it's like that though).  The Western section of the 123 was to be groomed yesterday (still showing as Unavailable tonight), the groomer went into and out of there, then we passed it halfway up the 145.  Well needed, and it was crusty there too.  Worst trails for quality (due to lack of recent grooming and temperature destruction) were the Opasatika to Val Rita areas.  West and East of those areas were great, best were East of Kap, seems they got a bit more snow lately and it shows in the ride quality.  Moonbeam had clearly the best trails, and Hearst and Mattice were very good considering the lack of new snow.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Denis

Archived