News out of Quebec

Big Pete

Great news. we were heading to Temiskaming on Sunday, waiting to see if we were going east or west.

On 1/20/2017 at 9:21 PM, grover_yyz said:

All sledders should unite and ride our sleds to the Plains of Abraham for a huge protest rally.

Interesting idea, but confusing in its intent. In actual fact the Battle of the Plains of Abraham was won initially by the British. A large contingent of French troops came over from Montreal and the second battle on the plains ended up with a defeat and the British under siege and bottled up in fortified Quebec City. Both sides sat down to wait for spring - to see whose supply ships would arrive first for relief. The conflict was finally settled with a British ship arriving first - not before many of the British soldiers died of scurvy and malnutrition.

13 hours ago, slomo said:

Interesting idea, but confusing in its intent. In actual fact the Battle of the Plains of Abraham was won initially by the British. A large contingent of French troops came over from Montreal and the second battle on the plains ended up with a defeat and the British under siege and bottled up in fortified Quebec City. Both sides sat down to wait for spring - to see whose supply ships would arrive first for relief. The conflict was finally settled with a British ship arriving first - not before many of the British soldiers died of scurvy and malnutrition.

Hey, this is a SNOWMOBILE forum, not a history forum.

lol

2 hours ago, catinental couch said:

No antique sled talk?

Yes

10 hours ago, soupkids said:

Hey, this is a SNOWMOBILE forum, not a history forum.

Well, for me it is somewhat related. In his book "War" by Gwynne Dyer, he relates that soldiers in this battle died of pure fright from the noise and the violence - no stabs, wounds, or punctures. This got me thinking about how absolutely quiet life would have been at this time .....take a listen around you....you'll always hear the hum of a refridgerator, the computer, sounds in the street, some kind of background noise. While living in Rae-Edzo, NWT, took a snowmobile ride out onto Great Slave Lake one evening after work, shut off the sled, and just sat and listened for 20 minutes or so....miles from any civilization, highways, power lines and the like....experienced quiet so quiet it hurt your ears not to hear anything. I could see how someone transported from tranquil rural areas to a battlefield during these times could have been noised to death.

On 2/3/2017 at 8:18 PM, Yamatario said:

Great news. we were heading to Temiskaming on Sunday, waiting to see if we were going east or west.

How was the trail going into Temiscaming ??????A102Q we are heading that way on the 14 th 

Thanks

Zrtkat

just got back today. we ended up driving to Notre Dame du Nord and launching from there on Monday as we had one sled that wouldn't start Monday mornong so had to do some repairs first. With snow rhey got on Tuesday conditions should be good. Trail was not open across the lake.

On February 5, 2017 at 5:03 AM, slomo said:

Well, for me it is somewhat related. In his book "War" by Gwynne Dyer, he relates that soldiers in this battle died of pure fright from the noise and the violence - no stabs, wounds, or punctures. This got me thinking about how absolutely quiet life would have been at this time .....take a listen around you....you'll always hear the hum of a refridgerator, the computer, sounds in the street, some kind of background noise. While living in Rae-Edzo, NWT, took a snowmobile ride out onto Great Slave Lake one evening after work, shut off the sled, and just sat and listened for 20 minutes or so....miles from any civilization, highways, power lines and the like....experienced quiet so quiet it hurt your ears not to hear anything. I could see how someone transported from tranquil rural areas to a battlefield during these times could have been noised to death.

It is hard to beleive just how deafening silence can be.  Ive experienced it and surely lots others as well.  Takes a pretty quiet calm day and place.  My exp wasnt in NWT though . It was here in ont miles from a hwy or sound of anything running.  

Archived