Parry Sound Parking

Wildbill

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Bill. Can you still park at Tim Hortons and petro can in that lot as well or do they prefer to park in this lot now? 

EDIT: I now realize the map is an "existing" map, not one created for OFSC sledders. Some of my suggestion below may not be feasible.

The map looks professional and is good enough that I can figure out how to find the lot.

Constructive input:

Not sure if the bracketed distances - (1.3 km) and (6.8 km) - are helpful, as I have trouble trying to figure out what they represent.

If the map is to be used solely for sledders, you might want to add "OFSC" to the word "Trail" in the legend at the top right of the map.

Might be better to use green for the OFSC trails, rather than dotted purple, so the map is more relatable to the Interactive Trail Guide used by sledders.

Should add C103D beside the words "Seguin Trail" on the right side of the map.

Should OFSC Trails 207, 211, and 209 be shown, so the map corresponds better to the ITG? They look like small trails, so maybe they could be shown without their labels?

Might be better if "C Alternate" was added to the photograph, instead of just "Rose Point Trail."

If Highway 400 is to be shown in yellow, then all of the 400 should be shown as yellow, including the parts north of Exit 217 and south of Exit 214.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

Are the businesses at Seguin Trail objecting to truck/trailer parking or the complex owners?

Hard question to answer that question except to say that with the exception of Gordon Bay Marine the owners are one and the same . 

3 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Are the businesses at Seguin Trail objecting to truck/trailer parking or the complex owners?

December 21, 2016, around 10:00 a.m., I parked my truck and snowmobile trailer in the large parking lot at the Petrocan/Tim Horton's plaza at exit 214 on the Highway 400. I was planning to sled on OFSC Trail C103D to Orrville Bakery Barista, to meet some fellow snowmobilers for lunch. I parked in the southeast part of the lot, as far as possible from the entrance to the restaurants.

I unloaded my snowmobile, and put on my gear. Just as I was about to put on my helmet, a man walked over and asked what I was doing. When I told him I was planning to go for a snowmobile ride, he explained that there was a one hour parking limit. When I expressed surprise, he pointed to large posted signs that said there was indeed a one hour limit. 

The man was very polite and well mannered. He asked me how long I planned to park. I said I my plan was to return from sledding, fuel up at the Petrocan, and be gone from the lot by 2 o'clock. He said that would be ok, because there would be no snow removal happening before I returned. I mentioned that a lot of snowmobilers were accustomed to using the parking lot, and he said that was a serious problem for the plaza businesses. I asked him if he was one of the restaurant managers and he said no, he was a maintenance worker, with instructions from his boss to advise people about the one hour parking limit. He said in the past some snowmobilers were known to leave their vehicles in the lot overnight, or in some cases for several days. He said his boss was dealing with the OFSC to try and figure out a parking alternative. He may have been referring to the local snowmobile club, as opposed to the OFSC head office. I wish to stress again that the man was very polite while talking with me.

Perhaps most of the past conflict could have been avoided if there had been a prohibition against overnight parking. Presumably the snow removal tends to take place in the overnight hours. It sounds as though we are beyond that point now, though. As things stand, it seems that the Petrocan lot is off-limits to sledders, and we can use the Sequin Township lot as shown on the map presented by WildBill.

One might consider checking at the Lighthouse Restaurant, a few kilometres south on C Trail, to see if they would allow daytime parking for a small fee. My understanding is that they are club supporters and are looking for snowmobile customers in their restaurant.

Thanks for all that information Blake. Most people, myself included assumed(there is that word again)that trucks and trailers were welcome there and that the businesses set up shop there to capture snowmobile business. Myself, friends, relatives and business colleagues have spent lots of money at that place over the years. Like Bill said; they are making it difficult to love them.

Strange...I have parked and rode from there twice since Blake's date above and had no hassle - I do get there early 7 am or so to avoid the asshole factor and perhaps my trailer is less noticeable than some of the large rigs. My understanding was that part of the plan to allow operation on this site was to provide parking for users of the trail. Might be time to get the local MPP in on this, or send in the Intrepid Snowmobiler - he'll get it straightened out.

16 hours ago, Blake G said:

One might consider checking at the Lighthouse Restaurant, a few kilometres south on C Trail, to see if they would allow daytime parking for a small fee. My understanding is that they are club supporters and are looking for snowmobile customers in their restaurant.

Seems they are amenable to your suggestion....bottom right......what are they charging to you think?

light house restaurant.png

20 hours ago, Wildbill said:

The township of Seguin has opened an over night or daytime parking area on the C trail towards town. They have suppilied this map as a first draft . I would look for constructive comments as to any improvements for this map. Thanks map_20170110cargill_revised2.pdf

Having been by this spot a few times, seems like a good idea. Could not help but wonder - given the number of people hitting trees, riding into open water, crashing through fences etc. - will they actually park in the nice straight lines as outllined by the 20 parking spots on the map?

Day time parking only at the new lot recommend by wildbill? 

Daytime or overnight, according to the first post in this thread.

Yes AVOID supporting the travel centre as much as possible please! Its sad that some people have to be like that especially when it affects tourism in the area. If we all spread the word and avoid this centre as much as possible, maybe they will see the affects of their stubbornness! Support the smaller mom and pop stores and club supporters and not greedy tycoons like this that are treating it like down town T.O!

Sorry but just my angry two cents on this ..... well.... nvm ill keep this PG13.  

Great info Super G and WB.  I will definatly support local business and not travel centre anymore. I have eaten at the lighthouse before and enjoyed it. I will eat there again.  I hate cooperate greed  and always support smaller family business when I can.

Unfortunately some people have a sense of entitlement to use private property as they wish. Business bashing is uncalled for and juvenile. Try developing more people skills than a door knob when dealing with business owners and see what happens.

40 minutes ago, GrumrP said:

Unfortunately some people have a sense of entitlement to use private property as they wish. Business bashing is uncalled for and juvenile. Try developing more people skills than a door knob when dealing with business owners and see what happens.

I don't have a problem with anybody who doesn't want snowmobiles,trucks and trailers on their commercial property. If it doesn't fit their business model then that is fine with me. I will look for businesses that want and appreciate my business. I have no sense of entitlement and do not bash businesses because until recently I was in business myself. If I had no people skills then I wouldn't have been in business for 26 years on my own and my family been in business since 1955.

Putting yourself on a stage in this manner hasn't gained you any browny points either.

19 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Great info Super G and WB.  I will definatly support local business and not travel centre anymore. I have eaten at the lighthouse before and enjoyed it. I will eat there again.  I hate cooperate greed  and always support smaller family business when I can.

I prefer the smaller venues as well and while this helps during the off season (winter) I bet they struggle during the high season when most cottagers come and could care less about being inconvenienced.

The issue will be they are in a prime location and attract a ton of customers regardless of powersporters, sledders and ATVers.  The other gas locations are a bit out of the way and I don't see many riding another ten minutes to make a point.  Maybe if every sledder did but I am willing to bet there will still be many pumping gas there the next time I ride by.  Hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, GrumrP said:

I am sure there are many who simply unload and never use their services.  That is wrong IMO.  

1 hour ago, GrumrP said:

It's NOT a sense of entitlement, It's where the MNR(government) sold the property to them and ONLY on the condition that the trail users and rate payers who have cottages down that trail have access to park there free of charge and was sold to them at a decent price!!!!  Now they are going back on that and kicking out trail users as well as township rate payers from their RIGHT to park there as per the deed agreement! As well I do believe that there still remains an outstanding  advertising bill possibly! So yes I will gladly continue to bash and tell trail users to not use this business as much as possible and to use more area businesses in the area that have a more FRIENDLY atmosphere and approach for customers as well that continue and support the local clubs that work tirelessly to make trails to businesses to help bring business to theirs to help with the local economy! 

20 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I prefer the smaller venues as well and while this helps during the off season (winter) I bet they struggle during the high season when most cottagers come and could care less about being inconvenienced.

The issue will be they are in a prime location and attract a ton of customers regardless of powersporters, sledders and ATVers.  The other gas locations are a bit out of the way and I don't see many riding another ten minutes to make a point.  Maybe if every sledder did but I am willing to bet there will still be many pumping gas there the next time I ride by.  Hope I am wrong.

Yes I know but if some get the point and understand it and dont use them, then it will eventually get them thinking maybe. 

2 hours ago, GrumrP said:

Wanting to use the south end of the parking lot as has been done for many years for parking a truck and trailer isn't entitlement.

Parking for access to the Seguin Trail was part of the site plan and proposal presented to the township for approval and was approved AS PRESENTED.

Think of it something like a land developer seeking approval for a subdivision and the township wanting the site plan to include public park space, which is very common as well. Imagine the developer getting approval for his development and then a number of years after the houses are built saying he's going to build houses on that park site. It wouldn't fly.

There is a reasonable expectation not only by snowmobilers but the hikers, the ATVers, the cyclists and the residents of the township in general that the owners would respect the site plan and usage they committed to and submitted to the township.

If the owners of the site choose to no longer support those who use the trail by denying them the ability to park there, then it is reasonable for the trail users to choose to no longer support the businesses in that complex. We have other options for food and gas and I suspect many will choose to exercise those options. I am one of those who has other options. I have NEVER had a NEED to buy gas there for our truck or sleds but have done as well as buying food there. One of the reasons being I felt I should support them as they have supported us.

It likely won't impact the landlords significantly however it may well impact the tenant businesses that the landlord relies upon.

If the township had parking in the deal approval then why isn't the Township being asked to enforce the deal as approved? (if they haven't been already)

25 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If the township had parking in the deal approval then why isn't the Township being asked to enforce the deal as approved? (if they haven't been already)

that is ongoing . Other options are available for those who do not wish to be hassled 

Archived