Introducing myself

Hi. Im a newbie;Aside from riding back when i was in boy scouts, now im 39 and just bought a 96 polaris 500. 

My folks cottage is up in Tiny Beaches. I studied trail maps but had to flag down another sledder zipping by to help me find a way to get to the trails. And I'm looking to join up with anyone else coming through this area (Tiny beach, north of Elmvale). I gave it a little tickle tonight but it just didnt feel right being alone. Im going out again early morning, before the wife catches me. 

Welcome to the forum Johnny. The Indy 500 is one of the all time greats. Being a 1996 though, it would need a full inspection for maintenance to be a full-time ride, especially if you attempt to go out alone. Hope you find a buddy or two in your area to show you the ropes. Happy Trails !

Welcome to the forum!! Indy 500, what a great sled in it's day...

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard! Glad your back in the sport.

• 6 months later...

I miss the snow!  Right after the end of the season, I bought an '06 sdi. Nothing against my fanner. 

Learning/fiddling with it all summer.   Chaincase oil done (two bolts sheared off... argh). Removed and cleaned injectors (and my eyes), flushed fuel lines, drained old stale gas, changed fuel filter, plugs (huge improvement), started polishing chaincase/tunnel (until wife caught me).  Still lots to do this summer.  Bought doolys, and a new rear shock.  Thinking about adding a temp gauge.  And picked up a used single tilt trailer (im tired of renting. )  Off season prices helped make this all possible.  Im planning to keep both sleds for friends/family as none of them have tried sledding. After the Rev is ready, I'll spend time on the Polaris fan maintenance..wear bars... sliders etc.  Hope to meet some folks on here and go riding this winter. 

Welcome to the forum Johnny! Lots of good experienced information for your project can be found here from lots of good people.

• 1 year later...

sounds like the 488 is the indy trail fan  best fan cooled  probably ever  ( no belt) .  glad you avoided the newer 550  they burnt done.  biggest issue on  polaris always was front shaft bearings ( no way to grease them like the rev). hint  if your speedo quits you have lost a shaft bearing chaincase explosion is next   you should never leave home with one of the new electronic riddled  pull cord missing new sleds unless you have a indy to tow you home

3 hours ago, cornbinder said:

sounds like the 488 is the indy trail fan  best fan cooled  probably ever  ( no belt) .  glad you avoided the newer 550  they burnt done.  biggest issue on  polaris always was front shaft bearings ( no way to grease them like the rev). hint  if your speedo quits you have lost a shaft bearing chaincase explosion is next   you should never leave home with one of the new electronic riddled  pull cord missing new sleds unless you have a indy to tow you home

What year did Polaris quit putting the grease fitting down at the speedo drive?

I see this is an older post but I'm right near Allenwood beach. Give me a shout if you want to ride together 

Archived