Recommendations? Sore Back

02Sled

I'm sorry to say I'm not 29 anymore. I rode C from Coldwater toward Midland Saturday afternoon. I' don't know if it was the rough trail (not knocking the club) there was a lot of traffic, the fact it was the start of the season and I was using parts of the body I haven't recently, the fact I do have some lower back problems or a combination of them all but my back was much more sore than ever before. Or perhaps I just turned the wrong way. 

I'm considering the idea that maybe I should invest in some sort of a back brace for riding. I know they make them for workers lifting things but I don't know what would be good for riding. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'd like to avoid bulky 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used Motocross back brace/kidney belt type in the past and found them helpful. Check Fox or 661 at Royal Dist. 

16 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

I've used Motocross back brace/kidney belt type in the past and found them helpful. Check Fox or 661 at Royal Dist. 

X2...been wearing one for years. Just good to have, keeps your mid section braced so even if you hit that bump you never saw, you are not feeling it.

I have the belt that you used to see a lot of retail store personal wear that worked in the warehouse, it is not too stiff or bulky.....looked into buying a newer one a few times, but never found anything that felt as good as the one I have. 

21 minutes ago, jrhz06 said:

X2

In the past I used a Fox kidney belt. Mind you since I got the REV, I find I seldom use it anymore. Not sure if I could find it if I went looking for it LOL

Get a yoga ball. Do some stretches with it best 10bux u can spend have several bad discs and between strrtching on ball advil and hottub usually feel prettygood after riding

Actually did find it & it's a Gold Belt brand.

LOL

I found after I started using a TekVest, a lot of the back strain was gone.  The vest stabilizes your core and supports your back.  Worked much better than a back brace, and has the added protection in case of an oops.

8 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I'm sorry to say I'm not 29 anymore. I rode C from Coldwater toward Midland Saturday afternoon. I' don't know if it was the rough trail (not knocking the club) there was a lot of traffic, the fact it was the start of the season and I was using parts of the body I haven't recently, the fact I do have some lower back problems or a combination of them all but my back was much more sore than ever before. Or perhaps I just turned the wrong way. 

I'm considering the idea that maybe I should invest in some sort of a back brace for riding. I know they make them for workers lifting things but I don't know what would be good for riding. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'd like to avoid bulky 

Your experience sounds eerily familiar to my own. That section of trail has been bumpy every time I've ridden it so far this year. Lots of traffic. The last two times I used B205C and a bunch of road running. Much better.

I wear a back brace, but it seems to have shrunk, so I'll be needing a bigger one. I always stretch in the morning before I leave the house. Before I get on the sled, I sometimes take half an extra-strength Robaxecet; I always bring several Robaxecet along for the ride. Also a few Tylenol 3's, just in case.

I really like my Arctic Cat sleds. The motors are great, and the ride is good, but not great. One can definitely handle the bumps better on a Polaris Axys, or a late model BRP. I can't decide which rides smoother, the Axys or an Enduro with air adjustable suspension. If I had to pick, it'd be the Polaris.

21 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I really like my Arctic Cat sleds. I think the motors are great, and the ride is "pretty good" but not great. One can definitely handle the bumps better with a Polaris Axys or late model BRP.

I've got a lower back hernia and an 18 year old sled. ... don't talk to me about lower back pain. ...

Northern guys are tough.

8 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Come see us we have tekvest and will give you a good deal 

I had a bombardier kidney belt / brace. Wore it in my younger days. Was out of sledding for a bit. Now it no longer fits. Think I will replace. 

Have had back issues since I was a teen...Some sort of brace will help take the pressure off...My issues tend to be with my muscles in my lower back getting easily aggravated , inflammed and tense...so not so much a mechanical/spinal cord injury...back is just out of alignment a bit ...for sledding I take a few ibuprofen before I go as it is as much about the  anti inflammatory benefit as the pain relief...I do the same if on holidays or activities with tons of walking or other unusual activities....did so for many yrs riding bikes also....if you have never been to chiropractor....try it...one or two appts can help dramatically and will assist you in determining if  it is something that can be repaired or something that you have to live with such as myself..

Ironically, my back improved after I retired early and stopped sitting at a desk all day..

My brother broke his back racing through a field a couple years ago, bought a 121 skidoo tnt 600 the next season and rode with no problems....he also had a kidney belt for a bit of support. Now he's switched to an apex...should be interesting to hear if he complains this season or not.

another guy I ride with, just traded in his 16' viper rtx dx for a 17' 1200 Rene. Said his knees and back were always sore. I told him the trails aren't really the greatest at the start of the season and that they'll get better with a bit more snow & grooming time...but he still traded. I love my LTX DX, rides so smooth! I haven't had a sore back yet this season and I'm ready for more riding the next day. 

Have you you played with your suspension settings at all? Sometimes the smallest adjustments make the biggest difference...

Started with a basic black back brace (the kind you wear for heavy lifting) after a motocross racer introduced me to the concept in 1993. They seem to be evolving into having more metal sections..  the thick nylon one without metal sections works as good as the metal reinforced one.  Also, try to find one without shoulder straps. Start your search in a Powersports store....they're specific to the sport. Then grab a basic black one  at Cdn Tire-Lowes-Home Depot as a back-up. If all they carry are shoulder strap versions just keep it as a spare for "honey do" list .

I also wear a tech vest. 

Together, keep back pain away. Tried gong Tek vest only but missed the support of the basic support belt after 20 + years of comfort. 

Also, Viper is cold around hips  (wind whips around) so kidney belt has another benefit.

51 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

Have had back issues since I was a teen...Some sort of brace will help take the pressure off...My issues tend to be with my muscles in my lower back getting easily aggravated , inflammed and tense...so not so much a mechanical/spinal cord injury...back is just out of alignment a bit ...for sledding I take a few ibuprofen before I go as it is as much about the  anti inflammatory benefit as the pain relief...I do the same if on holidays or activities with tons of walking or other unusual activities....did so for many yrs riding bikes also....if you have never been to chiropractor....try it...one or two appts can help dramatically and will assist you in determining if  it is something that can be repaired or something that you have to live with such as myself..

Ironically, my back improved after I retired early and stopped sitting at a desk all day..

I've been through the full range of cat scan, X-ray, MRI, neurologist, physic etc. If my doctor knew I was out riding he would likely give me crap. To some extent I am likely paying the price for my younger invincible years when I calf roped and bull dogged at the rodeos. I know that did in my knees 

56 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

My brother broke his back racing through a field a couple years ago, bought a 121 skidoo tnt 600 the next season and rode with no problems....he also had a kidney belt for a bit of support. Now he's switched to an apex...should be interesting to hear if he complains this season or not.

another guy I ride with, just traded in his 16' viper rtx dx for a 17' 1200 Rene. Said his knees and back were always sore. I told him the trails aren't really the greatest at the start of the season and that they'll get better with a bit more snow & grooming time...but he still traded. I love my LTX DX, rides so smooth! I haven't had a sore back yet this season and I'm ready for more riding the next day. 

Have you you played with your suspension settings at all? Sometimes the smallest adjustments make the biggest difference...

I do need to adjust the suspension it is a bit stiff but I know I have the back problems to contend with as well

21 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I've been through the full range of cat scan, X-ray, MRI, neurologist, physic etc. If my doctor knew I was out riding he would likely give me crap. To some extent I am likely paying the price for my younger invincible years when I calf roped and bull dogged at the rodeos. I know that did in my knees 

So ...a brace and a bottle of Advil before each ride...lol

37 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Started with a basic black back brace (the kind you wear for heavy lifting) after a motocross racer introduced me to the concept in 1993. They seem to be evolving into having more metal sections..  the thick nylon one without metal sections works as good as the metal reinforced one.  Also, try to find one without shoulder straps. Start your search in a Powersports store....they're specific to the sport. Then grab a basic black one  at Cdn Tire-Lowes-Home Depot as a back-up. If all they carry are shoulder strap versions just keep it as a spare for "honey do" list .

I also wear a tech vest. 

Together, keep back pain away. Tried gong Tek vest only but missed the support of the basic support belt after 20 + years of comfort. 

Also, Viper is cold around hips  (wind whips around) so kidney belt has another benefit.

The few times we were out last winter I found the new sled to be cold on a not overly cold day. I found cat has wind deflectors that mount on the side panels and got them put on. They make a difference. I would guess Yamaha has the same. 

I wear an obusform back brace which really helps also wear a tec vest . Not sure if the tec vest helps but the obusform back brace sure does.

14 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

You are 29....

with 31 years experience. Sorry. The devil made me do it.

That made my morning. Good chuckle for sure

Archived