Best cord for heated visor??

Blake G

Looking for input or advice about cords for a heated visor. I'm talking about the cord that plugs in at the visor and connects to the outlet on the sled. Are they all the same, or are some better than others?

It seems that I need to buy one or two of these cords every season, because they become lost or damaged. It seems the cords like to fall out of my helmet and get stepped on.

I've always purchased whatever was on the rack at various retailers.

Edited by Blake G

Great question Blake.  I too keep breaking the small "cheater" that I use.  This small cable stays connect to my helmet and I plug the long one from my sled to this "cheater".  This way the main cable stays with the sled and you don't have the long cable hanging from you helmet. You can use any standard RCA cable - it works.

• Like 2

Go to Best Buy and buy a vga cable for your tv.  Then cut it in three.  The cords will just pull apart from each other. With little effort.  You end up with three good helmet cords (one with red ends, one with yellow and one with white).  I use one and packed the others in my saddle bags.  Cords break regardless of manufacturer.  It's been my experience.  This way you don't care.  Loose one or break it.  Just move onto the next in your bag.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RAM said:

Great question Blake.  I too keep breaking the small "cheater" that I use.  This small cable stays connect to my helmet and I plug the long one from my sled to this "cheater".  This way the main cable stays with the sled and you don't have the long cable hanging from you helmet. You can use any standard RCA cable - it works.

Yes it's my "cheater" that quit working this time. The wee 90 degree one that goes between the helmet and the longer cord that plugs into the sled.

Edited by Blake G

53 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Looking for input or advice about cords for a heated visor. I'm talking about the cord that plugs in at the visor and connects to the outlet on the sled. Are they all the same, or are some better than others?

It seems that I need to buy one or two of these cords every season, because they become lost or damaged. It seems the cords like to fall out of my helmet and get stepped on.

I've always purchased whatever was on the rack at various retailers.

They aren't all the same Blake. There is the one piece style that goes from dash to visor as you mentioned and then there is the "cheater" style 2 piece that RAM mentioned.

I like the cheater style for the reason that RAM mentioned. You are able to leave the long cord portion attached to the sled and walk away with the short cheater attached to the visor.

I have an adhesive clip (came with the HGC shield) on the side of my helmet that holds the cheater somewhat in place so it isn't being pulled out at the visor nor pulling on the visor mounted plug itself. I've had a lot less problems with cords and shields since I started using this setup.

Sorry Blake. I pushed submit about the same time you did. My cheater is a piece of cord about 10" long.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, signfan said:

Go to Best Buy and buy a vga cable for your tv.  Then cut it in three.  The cords will just pull apart from each other. With little effort.  You end up with three good helmet cords (one with red ends, one with yellow and one with white).  I use one and packed the others in my saddle bags.  Cords break regardless of manufacturer.  It's been my experience.  This way you don't care.  Loose one or break it.  Just move onto the next in your bag.

I didn't realize the tv cables were the same. I think I have some of them lying around the house in their original packaging.

16 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

They aren't all the same Blake. There is the one piece style that goes from dash to visor as you mentioned and then there is the "cheater" style 2 piece that RAM mentioned.

I like the cheater style for the reason that RAM mentioned. You are able to leave the long cord portion attached to the sled and walk away with the short cheater attached to the visor.

I have an adhesive clip (came with the HGC shield) on the side of my helmet that holds the cheater somewhat in place so it isn't being pulled out at the visor nor pulling on the visor mounted plug itself. I've had a lot less problems with cords and shields since I started using this setup.

Interesting. I like the little cheater guy too, and have had better luck using it as opposed to relying solely on one longer cord, for the reason you mentioned. Having said that, though, it is the cheater that quit working this last time. I like the idea of the adhesive clip and would use one if I knew where to get one.

Edited by Blake G

15 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Interesting. I like the little cheater guy too, and have had better luck using it as opposed to relying solely on one longer cord. Having said that, though, it is the cheater that quit working this last time. I like the idea of the adhesive clip and would use one if I knew where to get one.

I have gotten an extra one from a sled dealer who just went and took one out of a new helmet box and gave it to me.

15 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I didn't realize the tv cables were the same. I think I have some of them lying around the house in their original packaging.

Be aware that the TV style cable is designed to carry a small audio or video signal , as opposed to a significant amount of current. Might not like the cold either and get hard. There are tv style cables that are rubber covered that might be more flexible. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Interesting. I like the little cheater guy too, and have had better luck using it as opposed to relying solely on one longer cord, for the reason you mentioned. Having said that, though, it is the cheater that quit working this last time. I like the idea of the adhesive clip and would use one if I knew where to get one.

Radio Shack used to sell 5 packs ....

I was going to just suggest a typical RCA cord too. Not sure what we've done for spares over the years. Just be sure to pack an extra when saddlebagging!

I still remember pulling into 1 of the gas stations in White River after spending the entire morning from M'wadge busting the trail. As I stopped @ the pumps, I notice that my cord has dropped out of the helmet socket (still plugged into the sled) & is laying on the ground. Before I have a chance to lean over & grab it, my buddy pulls up beside me & in the process, runs over the cord. 

:angry-smiley-005: :angry-smiley-005::angry-smiley-005:

(How could he not see the black cord laying on a white hard packed surface?)

It wasn't in 2 pieces, but was euchred. After filling up & paying, I dug the spare out of my tunnel bag & was good to go.

2 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Be aware that the TV style cable is designed to carry a small audio or video signal , as opposed to a significant amount of current. Might not like the cold either and get hard. There are tv style cables that are rubber covered that might be more flexible. 

The most a heated shield should ever draw is less than 2 amps.  It's peanuts for load.  Even a # 18 wire will easily carry the current.  I've had no issues with the tv cords.  Just ensure the heated cord line in the sled is fused.  Because there is two male ends there is always a risk of the live end falling out of the helmet and shorting out on the running board.  These cords need to be fused.  I don't know how the manufacturers get away with providing sled connection cords for the battery that don't have fusing built in.

I vote for a new helmet that does not use cords!

Either one of the Doo modular helmets, they work great and do not need a heated visor or go with an MX style helmet, but I know some people think they suck, too cold, etc...it is all do with set up, need to find what works for you, we are all different.

When I did run an electric shield, I carried a spare harness, but never needed it...just lucky I guess.

The new Doo ones are but only in the last couple of years. 

The long cord should have  male RCA on one end to plug into your sled; and female RCA on the loose end, so if it falls onto the running board it will not short out and blow the fuse.  The short 'cheater' cord should be male RCA both ends.

• 2 years later...
51 minutes ago, andreoue said:

I just invented something to fix your problem, a magnetic connector.  cost $ 35 available in September. andreouell@gmail.com

Welcome to the forum.  I like your invention. Best of luck with your product.

BTW, I deleted your duplicate post.

On 1/8/2017 at 6:55 PM, Blake G said:

They work fine, keep a few as spares and to give away to others who are never prepared. The cheap ones do crack easily in the cold. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

They work fine, keep a few as spares and to give away to others who are never prepared. The cheap ones do crack easily in the cold. 

But so do a lot of the helmet ones. :wtf:

4 hours ago, sledjunk said:

But so do a lot of the helmet ones. :wtf:

Really?? Royal must sell good cords. Never had or have seen a heated shield cord crack.

I have repaired a few for friends where the outside rubber had split, and then whr wires were the only thing left.