Nice Places on the RAP

signfan

9 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Glad you brought this thread to life. Somehow missed STG's  Yamaha bashing :) but otherwise wonderful lodging  report.

The Deep River sub-trails are incredible. There's a paper map - limited to those trails. Make sure you procure one before venturing out up into  the hills. Trails are more like roads. Wonderful.

Bear's Den was awesome during prior RAP tours.

Only time I've stayed @ the Bears Den was back in '97, so I can't really say what its current state is like (it was fine back then).

10 hours ago, Canuck said:

Glad you brought this thread to life. Somehow missed STG's  Yamaha bashing :) but otherwise wonderful lodging  report.

The Deep River sub-trails are incredible. There's a paper map - limited to those trails. Make sure you procure one before venturing out up into  the hills. Trails are more like roads. Wonderful.

Bear's Den was awesome during prior RAP tours.

Thanks Canuck       Bears Den is booked    Stuff is really booking fast

8 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Thanks Canuck       Bears Den is booked    Stuff is really booking fast

Hey Nick, for what its worth,  its only about 35 km. of quick trail further down to Petawaw and the Quality Inn & suites is just across the road from the trail. Good restaurant out front. Fuel about a km. before the hotel.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Hey Nick, for what its worth,  its only about 35 km. of quick trail further down to Petawaw and the Quality Inn & suites is just across the road from the trail. Good restaurant out front. Fuel about a km. before the hotel.

k k  Thanks for info  

• 1 year later...
On 9/2/2020 at 10:04 PM, volunteer2 said:

Bringing this back again. Last trip worked out real good. Now the guys are interested in planning one   will be checking in for advice again in the near future 

Might not be possible this winter. Not many came out to snowbirds agm and looks like they are folding up, unless something changes. Maybe no grooming after Whitney this year. This is so sad a club that has been around for 4 decades. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Might not be possible this winter. Not many came out to snowbirds agm and looks like they are folding up, unless something changes. Maybe no grooming after Whitney this year. This is so sad a club that has been around for 4 decades. 

It's early. Lots of time for the club to get figured out       gotta be positive. 

Had been thinking of driving to Kearney and on the trail by 9 and first night Spectacle Lake   Second night Mattawa and third night back at Kearney   Too aggressive of a plan ?  Its all about the guys and booking their holidays  

13 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

If the club can't make it work, I'm pretty sure that the  local clubs, OFSC and the businesses that benefit from what has been a very successful tour loop will make the RAP tour possible.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Had been thinking of driving to Kearney and on the trail by 9 and first night Spectacle Lake   Second night Mattawa and third night back at Kearney   Too aggressive of a plan ?  Its all about the guys and booking their holidays  

We have always done it in 3 days Nick. It can be pretty evenly split up at  approx. 200 miles a day. Your second day would be the biggest day so you likely won't get too much opportunity to enjoy some of the awesome local trails between Petawawa and Deux Riviere

• Thanks 1

thanks Brian     just some ideas for the guys to think about    we are thinking of not spending so much time in the truck and this gives them that     they have not been around the park and the time I did it    it was a bit of a gong show  so  using the mistakes of that trip plus advice here to plan this  :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

thanks Brian     just some ideas for the guys to think about    we are thinking of not spending so much time in the truck and this gives them that     they have not been around the park and the time I did it    it was a bit of a gong show  so  using the mistakes of that trip plus advice here to plan this  :lol:

Park at Polaris dealer in Kearney I think overnight is ok. Edge water sometimes will let you park trailer there too. Last time they told me no, so I went to hailburton instead, which is about 50 km’s closer anyways. Pine stone has been very good to me and parking trailer and truck if you stay one night. Mattawa abit farther of a drive but golf and ski always lets me park, truck and trailer too. Dinner bell in bonfield might let you too. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Spring lake lodge in Dorset is a very nice motel with restaurant and has a very large parking lot. I am sure they would allow additional overnight parking with a nights stay. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I add that place to my list. Thank-you! 

Spring Lake is in Dwight not Dorset.

Also Blue Spruce Resort is nice. Free overnight parking during your ride if you stay there. Its in Oxtongue Lake just east of Dwight on Hwy 60.  https://www.bluespruce.ca/

Also in Dwight, the old Boiler Room is open again. https://boilerroommuskoka.com/

Edited by Doogirl69

29 minutes ago, Doogirl69 said:

Also Blue Spruce Resort is nice. Free overnight parking during your ride if you stay there. Its in Oxtongue Lake just east of Dwight on Hwy 60.  https://www.bluespruce.ca/

Also in Dwight, the old Boiler Room is open again. https://boilerroommuskoka.com/

Are the restaurant hours at Spring Lake limited like they used to be?

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER

12 hours ago, Doogirl69 said:

Sorry, Dwight not Dorset, thanks for the correction

On 9/5/2020 at 8:14 PM, grover_yyz said:

Spring lake lodge in Dorset is a very nice motel with restaurant and has a very large parking lot. I am sure they would allow additional overnight parking with a nights stay. 

Actually just east of Dwight on the north side of 60. Folks stayed there years ago when they did the RAP tour. Gas a bit west @ the 35 intersection.

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

Actually just east of Dwight on the north side of 60. Folks stayed there years ago when they did the RAP tour. Gas a bit west @ the 35 intersection.

Their restaurant is currently closed due to Covid according to their website. It appears like the motel is open.

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Their restaurant is currently closed due to Covid according to their website. It appears like the motel is open.

Lots of this, this winter. Pick a spot and get a microwave and bring frozen home made dinners. I have made lots of TV dinners with fresh garden stuff so far. I be able to carry few on sled with me if I can get a room with a microwave. I am pulling a slow mo this winter. Hopefully I can use waffle maker in morning. 
I would be happy with a room delivered breakfast or dinner when available. Big centres be able to get wings and pizza delivered at least. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Last time I did the RAP was 2014.

Not sure what has been going on w/ the Nordic Inn @ Dorset the last couple of winters as it hasn't looked very busy any of the times I've driven by.

On 9/7/2020 at 2:35 PM, Strong Farmer said:

When is last time you did rap tourer? 

Did the RAP last year, counter clockwise. We seem to do the RAP every  other year and reverse our direction. Our accommodations are usually in Barry's Bay, Deep River, North Bay and Dwight. We start and end in Wilberforce. We take our time on our trip.

Jerry

12 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

Did the RAP last year, counter clockwise. We seem to do the RAP every  other year and reverse our direction. Our accommodations are usually in Barry's Bay, Deep River, North Bay and Dwight. We start and end in Wilberforce. We take our time on our trip.

Jerry

Nice way to do it end depends on route too. I could do one day faster without rushing if I used lake of bays to Dorset and then ice trails on other side of lake of bays. Saves an easy half a day on trip if ice is good. 

Edited by Strong Farmer