Nice Places on the RAP

signfan

On 2016-12-30 at 8:23 PM, signfan said:

Thinking of running this with the wife.  Where can we stay that is nice?  Looking at three 200 mile days.   So three resorts spaced out evenly around the loop where there is good food and nice rooms.  Not over the top, but nice.  

Here are a couple wife friendly places IMO

The Sands on Golden Lake. http://sandsongoldenlake.com/

Deerhurst of course

The Quality Inn in Petawawa is nice. 

The Couples Resort new Whitney. 

Some are spendy though. 

The Sands is nice as I've stayed there when up to the races in Eganville. The only issue I can see is the ice crossing if there is no snow. It would be 6 klicks across the lake. One year I had planned to ride to Eganville via B102. Unfortunately they had gotten rain a couple of days earlier & the lake was glare ice as far as you could see. 

On 12/31/2016 at 0:34 AM, signfan said:

Anyone tried Northridge Inn at South River?  Or Morning Mist Resort in Stonecliff?  Thinking I'd start in Bancroft or Whitney.  So these two kinda lined up.  Could push on to Petawawa.  Planning to run it clockwise with the second day being the longest.  Can you get from South River to Stonecliff on a tank of fuel?  Or is a trip into Mattawa a must?

We have stayed at Northridge Inn on Lake Bernard - presuming that is the one you mean.  Nice rooms and they have cabins too.  The dining is beyond good.   Their cancellation policy was a little harsh for something like a RAP tour where any number of things can affect your timing.  We have reservations there again for a weekend stay this winter.

Morning Mist was good too.  6 guys in a cabin.  Good accommodations, good hosts.  In advance, we told them what we wanted for supper and they delivered the groceries to the cabin so we could make our supper.  Front deck barby cooked the steaks, and a full kitchen handled the rest.  Great night for a group of guys saddle bagging,  not sure it is wife-worthy. Well, cooking your own supper and doing dishes is not the indomitable MRS.STG's idea of vacation.   

• Like 2

Done the RAP several times over the years, booked this year for February 8-10.

I can recommend Mattawa Golf 'N' Ski (you won't leave hungry, Mike and Brenda have become great friends over the years), Dinner Bell and Cedar Gables in Bonfield (guys trip Dinner Bell, Cedar Gables well-suited for couples, nice place, Joanne and Darcy are great hosts), Clarion Inn North Bay, and Spring Lake Resort in Dwight (very nice).

We've stayed at Spectacle Lake Lodge, nice enough but had to bring our own food as the restaurant prices were too high.  We've tried to book twice into Morning Mist in Stonecliffe but they will only accept a two-night minimum, so I cannot recommend them.

I've heard good things about the Quality Inn in Petawawa never stayed there as we live 10 minutes away.  We've stopped at the Bear's Den in Deep River, great restaurant.  NRSA has a great new trail into the Bear's Den, very well marked.

Edited by Spanky

I think Morning Mist at times takes one nighter, perhaps during the week, as Ive been there before and there were over nighters in and leaving the next day.  Suggest if it is a place of interest to call and speak with them directly, very friendly and helpful family.  

I have also stayed years back at the Quality Inn here in Petawawa.  Not recently as we now live almost in their parking lot, but with the Kelseys and gas availability right there, you can't go wrong.  Always like the Bear's Den as well, good food and excellent trail access.  

• Like 2

On 2017-01-01 at 6:05 PM, SlowTouringGuy said:

We have stayed at Northridge Inn on Lake Bernard - presuming that is the one you mean.  Nice rooms and they have cabins too.  The dining is beyond good.   Their cancellation policy was a little harsh for something like a RAP tour where any number of things can affect your timing.  We have reservations there again for a weekend stay this winter.

Morning Mist was good too.  6 guys in a cabin.  Good accommodations, good hosts.  In advance, we told them what we wanted for supper and they delivered the groceries to the cabin so we could make our supper.  Front deck barby cooked the steaks, and a full kitchen handled the rest.  Great night for a group of guys saddle bagging,  not sure it is wife-worthy. Well, cooking your own supper and doing dishes is not the indomitable MRS.STG's idea of vacation.   

Does Lake Barnard take long into the season to freeze?  Wondering if Northrodge will be accessible in two weeks time.  Also how pricey is their dining room?  Looks like it'll fit the bill, but the rooms are $200 a night.  I can stomach that, but not another $150 for dinner. 

Our stay at Morning Mist was a one nighter.  

Lots of great spots mentioned in this thread . And have stayed at several. I'd suggest selecting based on where you expect to be landing after your chosen mileage for the day.  You're not going to go wrong with those listed here.   

Great info thread !

42 minutes ago, signfan said:

Does Lake Barnard take long into the season to freeze?  Wondering if Northrodge will be accessible in two weeks time.  Also how pricey is their dining room?  Looks like it'll fit the bill, but the rooms are $200 a night.  I can stomach that, but not another $150 for dinner. 

42 minutes ago, signfan said:

Best to call them directly.  They usually have a snowmobiler special .  Not sure what winter specials they are offering this year.  Our bookings for this year are a carry over from last year because the trails were not open.

The last time we stayed there was "about" the first weekend in February and the stake line was in down the lake into their property.  Our booking this year is roughly the same date.  The weather seems to be pointing to a similar stake line arrival.   

I've heard there is a land route in case of unsettled ice condition but have never used it.  It might be something else to enquire about when you have them on the phone.   Enjoy !!!

2 hours ago, signfan said:

We stayed there a couple of years ago and although it was really nice it is expensive and the dinner wasn't really our thing. Menu is very nouveau..  hope this helps

Here's what we've done all great places and would go back in a heartbeat. 

Clarion- north bay 

best western - Pembroke 

Pinestone - Halliburton 

There are 'new' owners at Northridge.  I believe took over in spring of 2015, so this is their 2nd winter.  It might be worth investigating what changes have taken place.  I know they were planning renovations but I don't have details on the restaurant.  Website looks like it's pretty upscale.

23 hours ago, Spanky said:

Done the RAP several times over the years, booked this year for February 8-10.

I can recommend Mattawa Golf 'N' Ski (you won't leave hungry, Mike and Brenda have become great friends over the years), Dinner Bell and Cedar Gables in Bonfield (guys trip Dinner Bell, Cedar Gables well-suited for couples, nice place, Joanne and Darcy are great hosts), Clarion Inn North Bay, and Spring Lake Resort in Dwight (very nice).

We've stayed at Spectacle Lake Lodge, nice enough but had to bring our own food as the restaurant prices were too high.  We've tried to book twice into Morning Mist in Stonecliffe but they will only accept a two-night minimum, so I cannot recommend them.

I've heard good things about the Quality Inn in Petawawa never stayed there as we live 10 minutes away.  We've stopped at the Bear's Den in Deep River, great restaurant.  NRSA has a great new trail into the Bear's Den, very well marked.

I believe that was sold over the summer.  Now called something else.  Doesn't seem to have a website that works.

Really enjoyed the old set-up including heated outdoor pool. Definitely worth investigating changes if any/ if sold.

27 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Really enjoyed the old set-up including heated outdoor pool. Definitely worth investigating changes if any/ if sold.

Went bankrupt in August and then was sold.

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/local-hotel-bankruptcy-left-long-list-of-creditors-375628

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/clarion-resort-pinewood-park-sold-372557

9 hours ago, AdamGamble said:

Here's what we've done all great places and would go back in a heartbeat. 

Clarion- north bay 

best western - Pembroke 

Pinestone - Halliburton 

Another vote for Pinestone from me.  Been there 3 or 4 times.    

3 hours ago, Red Rocket said:

Looking @ the D11 map & it's now called Pinewood Park Resort Hotel Conference Centre. No mention of Clarion. The toll free # is still 1-800-461-9592.

My wife and I are planning on doing the RAP tour near the end of February along with another couple. We are planning on leaving from the Minden Area.

The only request that the women have made is that we stay in places that have a hot tub available. We are planning on 4 days/3 nights and going counter clockwise. Was planning on staying at the Best western in Pembroke, mattawa golf and ski and then I think Edgewater Park or Silversands.

I just haven't been able to confirm if there are hot tubs available other than at the Best Western in Pembroke. I'm also open to other suggestions.

We will be driving from home to Minden on the day we're leaving and then driving back home on the day we return to Minden.

Hi signfan , We have RAP tour last year and I have detail map with gas, food and hotels. if you like PM to me and I can forward that files to you. I hope it helps

6 hours ago, tool_guy said:

My wife and I are planning on doing the RAP tour near the end of February along with another couple. We are planning on leaving from the Minden Area.

The only request that the women have made is that we stay in places that have a hot tub available. We are planning on 4 days/3 nights and going counter clockwise. Was planning on staying at the Best western in Pembroke, mattawa golf and ski and then I think Edgewater Park or Silversands.

I just haven't been able to confirm if there are hot tubs available other than at the Best Western in Pembroke. I'm also open to other suggestions.

We will be driving from home to Minden on the day we're leaving and then driving back home on the day we return to Minden.

I don't believe Edgewater or Silversands has hot tubs, the Northridge Inn in Sundridge although a little pricey has a wicked outdoor hottub.

36 minutes ago, Nunz said:

I don't believe Edgewater or Silversands has hot tubs, the Northridge Inn in Sundridge although a little pricey has a wicked outdoor hottub.

Tool_guy,  I don't remember Mattawa Golf and Ski having a hot tub either. Although, I don't remember a lot of things. :-)

22 minutes ago, drpaul said:

Sorry, I gotta ask....whats a RAP tour, and would be able to meet Drake?

Really??? You've honestly never heard of the RAP (sledding) tour???

RAP = 'Round Algonquin Park.

14 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

No, I'm new to all this. Only way I can learn is ask. Sounds like a fantastic trip. How long does it take typically?

So..no Drake.

16 minutes ago, drpaul said:

No, I'm new to all this. Only way I can learn is ask. Sounds like a fantastic trip. How long does it take typically?

So..no Drake.

Nope, sorry...no Drake...LOL. 

RAP can be done in 3 to 5 days, although you miss a lot if you only allow 3...4 is typical, and 5 is even better because it allows you time to explore some interesting side loops along the way. Distance varies depending on exact route, but as I recall, it is typically in the 900 km range. And yes, it is a great trip...I've done it 3 times over the years.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

He's a newbie to sledding but will soon be a veteran