Nice Places on the RAP

signfan

Thinking of running this with the wife.  Where can we stay that is nice?  Looking at three 200 mile days.   So three resorts spaced out evenly around the loop where there is good food and nice rooms.  Not over the top, but nice.  

MattawaGolfNSki in Mattawa isn't fancy, but the food is good & the owners friendly. Spectacle Lake Lodge between & Whitney is a good stop These 2 had gas when we did the RAP tour in '13. Finally on the west side of the park, Edgewater Park Lodge has nice cabins, & food too. It had fuel when we've stayed there in '14 on a RAN tour.

• Like 1

• revrnd pinned this topic

I've pinned this topic so it can be the thread for RAP tour info this winter.

• Like 2

Agree with spectacle.  We have been there 5 times and it's always the same.  Sharon is a real ambassador for snowmobiling.  Her  husband was the orginal rap tour pilot.  Mattawa golf and ski is also a great spot.  North bay always stop in at churchills excellent food there.

Edited by gobills
  • Like 1

Cedar gables in bonifield along with dinner bell are both good and keeps you away from north bay. They both have good food and camp conwago is back open again. Will report in a few weeks, once I ride the area again. 

Pettawa has quality inn right off the A trail and Kelsey's is across the street. 

People are also saying bear den in deep river is good! 

Also sliver sands in Kearney if edge water is full (mixed reports about that place, but food has always been good and it is clean and tidy)

hailburton has the pine stone on trail 7 and Kennis lake lodge down the lake from hail burton forest is a nice spot, if you are taking trail 11 (lake route by passing hailburton). 

We stayed @ the Bear's Den on an ill-fated RAP tour back in '97. I really haven't heard much about it over the years since. 

The Quality Inn is right across the the road from TOP A. Beverage stores & gas is just east as well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, revrnd said:

We stayed @ the Bear's Den on an ill-fated RAP tour back in '97. I really haven't heard much about it over the years since. 

The Quality Inn is right across the the road from TOP A. Beverage stores & gas is just east as well.

Bear's den has been getting good reviews from a few members of this forum. I am sure it isn't Anything fancy but it is in a fantastic location on missing link system and close to gas and beer store, with a direct trail going to it. I would consider it if in area. 

Quality inn also gives a snowmobilers discount which is nice. They just gave it to us when we walked in to see if white dragon had taken last room. 

Edited by Viperules700

Bear's Den is a good spot.  Restaurant and bar on site, gas and convenience store almost next door.

Also, I have had great luck with Valois.  Restaurant is good and rooms are clean and spacious.  Check their website as the rooms in each of the buildings have different rates.

Another vote for Spectacle Lake Lodge as well.

Anyone tried Northridge Inn at South River?  Or Morning Mist Resort in Stonecliff?  Thinking I'd start in Bancroft or Whitney.  So these two kinda lined up.  Could push on to Petawawa.  Planning to run it clockwise with the second day being the longest.  Can you get from South River to Stonecliff on a tank of fuel?  Or is a trip into Mattawa a must?

All I can say about Stonecliffe was the day we ran from Spectacle to Mattawa we caught up to a couple on touring sleds north/west of Deep River. They crossed the highway to the road that Morning Mist & Pine Valley are on.

Nice large clean units at the morning mist... Don't know if they serve any food though 

Nice cottages at Morning Mist.  Have stayed there numerous times over the years.  Satelite Tv, in floor heating, 2 & 3 bedroom cottages all equiped.  Fire pit and supplied wood , i could go on, great folks (owners) as well.   They may provide provisions based on your travel and a heads up but Im not sure myself.  Also have stayed at Pine Valley and enjoyed it as well.   

8 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Bear's Den is a good spot.  Restaurant and bar on site, gas and convenience store almost next door.

Also, I have had great luck with Valois.  Restaurant is good and rooms are clean and spacious.  Check their website as the rooms in each of the buildings have different rates.

Another vote for Spectacle Lake Lodge as well.

X 2 on all 3 of those, especially Spectacle Lake Lodge. 

8 hours ago, signfan said:

Anyone tried Northridge Inn at South River?  Or Morning Mist Resort in Stonecliff?  Thinking I'd start in Bancroft or Whitney.  So these two kinda lined up.  Could push on to Petawawa.  Planning to run it clockwise with the second day being the longest.  Can you get from South River to Stonecliff on a tank of fuel?  Or is a trip into Mattawa a must?

South River to Stonecliffe is tight for gas, depending on your sled and driving habits it may be possible but you might be on fumes or worse near Stonecliffe.  To make it through, there is a gas station on D trail just past the junction of D trail and A101D called Chisholm Country Market.  You can gas up or top up there and then the run to Stonecliffe is doable without going into Mattawa.  As you travel north on D Trail, stay left when you meet the rail trail, the right turn would put you on A101D towards Mattawa.  The gas station is about 4 or 5 clicks up D trail.  They have limited opening hours so check ahead to make sure they are open when you plan to make the trip.  

• Like 2

When I have done the RAP tour we always include Antlers in Deux Riviere and Fortune's Madawaska Valley Inn. 

If Mattawa GolfNSki has gas, they are very close to the trail.

36 minutes ago, Doo Dad said:

When I have done the RAP tour we always include Antlers in Deux Riviere and Fortune's Madawaska Valley Inn. 

I'm with the Spectacle Lake, Bear's Den, Valois crowd above. Tho' really interested in some of the new lodgings posted above. Thx

One recommendation, don't take your 'room reservation' for granted. Call the day before to confirm the reservation. Our reservations has been 'misplaced' a couple of times. In both cases, it wasn't in a city - we couldn't just go to the Holiday Inn down the street. There's always room at the inn ahead, it's just 100 km away :-P

The one time we did the Rap, back in approximately 2000, we tried to get into a place near Sand Lake if Im not mistaken.  They had a two night minimum stay.  It was a wet snowy day, soaked to the bone type of day.  We tried to talk them into bending the rules in spite of the weather but nope.  There was another place, I remember crossing a little bay, and we ended up staying there in a motel type building.  There was a restaurant on site as well.  We were the only sledders there, and I don't remember the name of the place as it was long ago now, but point to my post was some places have a two night minimum stay, which for the Rap tour, isn't normally what sledders are looking for.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Doo Dad said:

Fortunes is pretty good, too.

1 hour ago, shawnj said:

The one time we did the Rap, back in approximately 2000, we tried to get into a place near Sand Lake if Im not mistaken.  They had a two night minimum stay.  It was a wet snowy day, soaked to the bone type of day.  We tried to talk them into bending the rules in spite of the weather but nope.  There was another place, I remember crossing a little bay, and we ended up staying there in a motel type building.  There was a restaurant on site as well.  We were the only sledders there, and I don't remember the name of the place as it was long ago now, but point to my post was some places have a two night minimum stay, which for the Rap tour, isn't normally what sledders are looking for.  

Good point re; 2 night minimums.

I think that the 2 places you're referring to are Silversands Family Resort (bring your own towels) and Edgewater Park Lodge.  Both have (had) gas onsite when we passed through and both have restaurants (Whiskey Jack's at the first, a diner at the second). 

They're there for us. Appreciate it. I suspect that we all try to give them business and cringe inside at "the things that make you go huh?" The 2 night rule in your circumstances seemed harsh.

I can understand a two night minimum during peak times where for example they would lose a weekend reservation for Friday and Saturday because their rooms were already reserved with Saturday night only. Mid week or when they are far from being fully occupied on that particular day a prudent business operator would bend the rule. Friday or Saturday afternoon you arrive and I have rooms available, I doubt I'm going to get swamped suddenly for two night stays. I'll take your money for the one night. Better than the room staying empty and no money

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Blake G said:

chisolm.jpg

chisolm 2.jpg

Thanks for adding the graphics!

On 12/30/2016 at 11:00 PM, Viperules700 said:

Bear's den has been getting good reviews from a few members of this forum. I am sure it isn't Anything fancy but it is in a fantastic location on missing link system and close to gas and beer store, with a direct trail going to it. I would consider it if in area. 

Quality inn also gives a snowmobilers discount which is nice. They just gave it to us when we walked in to see if white dragon had taken last room. 

Just wanted to say that the Bear's Den is on North Renfrew Snowmobile trail system (NRSA), not missing link.  Plus the Bear's den is now trail accessible right to the back parking lot via trail 135.

• Like 1