Barrie Ramble: Friday, December 23, 2016, 9:30 a.m.

Blake G

Have fun guys!!! Gotta work Friday.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just seen this thread and it looks like there is a lot of interest. The idea of parking at the Shell / McDonalds / Go Cart Track at gasoline alley on the Hwy 11 southbound side at the 2nd of Oro is a very good one for the following reason.

The B112B has been rerouted and no longer goes along its original path from the Hwy overpass at the 3rd line of Oro to the 2nd line of Oro on the north side of Hwy 11.

Now when you cross the overpass at the 3rd line you have to follow the 3rd line all the way to Ski Trails Rd then west on Ski Trails Rd to the 2nd line then down the 2nd line past Shanty Bay Golf Course to where the B112B crosses which is about 200 Metres from Hwy 11 ( approximately 7 Km's of scratching along paved roads with very little off the pavement area to ride )

I will leave it there and White Dragon can decide on the best method of getting everybody together.

38 minutes ago, Snowbiz said:

I have just seen this thread and it looks like there is a lot of interest. The idea of parking at the Shell / McDonalds / Go Cart Track at gasoline alley on the Hwy 11 southbound side at the 2nd of Oro is a very good one for the following reason.

The B112B has been rerouted and no longer goes along its original path from the Hwy overpass at the 3rd line of Oro to the 2nd line of Oro on the north side of Hwy 11.

Now when you cross the overpass at the 3rd line you have to follow the 3rd line all the way to Ski Trails Rd then west on Ski Trails Rd to the 2nd line then down the 2nd line past Shanty Bay Golf Course to where the B112B crosses which is about 200 Metres from Hwy 11 ( approximately 7 Km's of scratching along paved roads with very little off the pavement area to ride )

I will leave it there and White Dragon can decide on the best method of getting everybody together.

That's a much better idea I'm not in to that much road running. Ravine rat was telling me the trail had a lot of road scratch as well.

I'm totally confused. Not hard for al old fart. However what is described above looks like a ton of road rash and does not depict the ITG? Am I missing something here?

Dave

5 hours ago, Snowbiz said:

for sure did not realize the detour was so far,i will trailer to the shell too

Does the Shell station allow day parking for sure?

The first photo-map has a small red X at the bottom, showing the originally discussed parking lot. We have now decided NOT to park there, because it would require us to cope with a section of B112B where there is NO LONGER TRAIL (in the section with the wiggly red line, near Highway 11), and we would have kilometres of road rash. (Thanks to Snowbiz, for providing that important update.)

Instead we will park at the red O - - the Shell Station/Go Kart place that used to also have a McDonald's. The next map shows a close up of the area.

SHELL PARKING A.jpg

WD and I will be coming from the north, so we can each drive down Highway 11, and exit and park at the Shell station (big red O on the map) adjacent to Oro Line 1. I plan to fill up my truck there, and also my sled.

A physical barrier separates Highway 11 north and south. If you are coming from the south, you have a few options, but the simplest would likely be to pass the Shell at Line 1, and go a couple of miles to Line 3, at the top of the hill. Exit at the Line 3, cross over Highway 11, then return southbound to the Shell at Line 1.

SHELL PARKING B.jpg

I am thinking the trails will be really soft.  Could have got trashed today.  Wondering if tomorrow will be freshly groomed to start.  For sure Sat will be bumpy by the afternoon.

Environment Canada is predicting a low of minus 3 overnight in Barrie, and sunny tomorrow with a high of plus 2. The trails will be on the soft side for sure. I rode around Cannington today and the trails were soft, but still very good because there is enough snow and not yet an over abundance of traffic. GrizzlyGriff, I can understand your concern, as it is a bit of a hike for you to get to Barrie. Only 45 minutes for me, and even less for some of the other guys. If you decide to wait until REAL winter, we promise not to hold it against you. LOLOLOL

PS: On the trail near Lindsay today, I ran into 528Rick (one of the fellows we rode with in the Forest last week). Sledding is a small world.

LOL  Read my mind.  Twin Mountains just went yellow.

Blake, room for another? Only an hour drive for me.

Heck yes, Anthony. See you at 930!!

Shell 9:30 am.... See you there. 

Hi Blake

I just saw your post and would like to meet up with your group tomorrow if thats ok?

Al

I was there earlier today in the morning and found the majority of the trails were pretty good with snow but by mid afternoon with my return back to the club house parking area with the +3 temps and others being on the trails they were defiantly showing lots of wear and tear - melting - dirt etc.  

Have fun!!! I'll be back when conditions get better - look forward to meeting.

6 hours ago, AlBoK said:

Hi Blake

I just saw your post and would like to meet up with your group tomorrow if thats ok?

Al

Excellent, Al! See you at 930.

The post from tight lines, above, is a concern. I hope the trails aren't too trashed already. 

Yeah im out. No way I'm riding down the roads and in dirt. Have fun guys. 

Revester if you park at the Shell station you miss all the road running on the 3rd and 2nd. You'll be good all the way to Wasaga or west of there. Sorry I can't make it. 

RR

21 minutes ago, ravinerat said:

Revester if you park at the Shell station you miss all the road running on the 3rd and 2nd. You'll be good all the way to Wasaga or west of there. Sorry I can't make it. 

RR

I know that Don.  But tight lines said lots of dirt. I know how much there was Tuesday. Rail line should be good. Lots of time left. 

9 hours ago, ravinerat said:

Sorry I can't make it. 

RR

Looking forward to riding with you again.

"ood Morning Guys. Going to sit this one out today. Road from Wasaga yesterday when all was green. When I got back what I had ridden, a lot of snirt on the "B" trail, had turned yellow. I was following the Barrie area and see this morning it too has gone yellow. Ran the 1200 SE last year in limited conditions and it overheated. I'm still trying to learn this machine and don't wan to run it hot if I can avoid it. Happy Trails. Blake we will hook up for sure this winter. Have fun and take care. To all on OC have a Merry Christmas and if we get some fresh snow we will be out over the holidays for sure.

Happy Trails

DaveTess

Thanks Dave. Best wishes.

7 hours ago, Blake G said:

Looking forward to riding with you again.

All ways up for a mid week tour Blake

RR

Super day today, with a gallery of rogues:

White Dragon, Fire242 (on the phone with his stock broker), AlBoK, and POTA.

2016-12-23 17.03.19.jpg

The trails were not too soft. The Barrie end was pretty good, the C railbed had lots of snow but was bumpy, farmers' fields were good running despite corn stocks sticking up everywhere. Wasaga Beach was more beat up, but a little brown sugar never hurt anyone.

Unfortunately I forgot to get a photo of the day's highlight, which was the sight of three of us riding down the bare main street of Wasaga Beach in Christmas holiday traffic, looking for a gas station. A two kilometre round trip. Those 550 fans like their gas. White Dragon waved to us out the Boston Pizza window, pint in hand.  

Great ride today! Conditions were pretty good considering it's before Christmas and we could get in a ride. Great to meet Al and Anthony. Always an entertaining time with Blake and Glenn. Stock broker confirms I'm good to go to ride this season!! 

Archived