Kawartha Highlands Tour

RAM

Can someone please let me know how long it will take to do this loop - Kawartha Highlands Tour?  I know it's 138 km but terrain can make the difference in the length of time it take.  I see there is gas along the way.  Any other comments on this loop?  Thanks

Merry Christmas to all OC'ers

I did that kind of trip five years ago and it was terrible We started from Linsay, around 8am followed to 400. 420, 495 and E108, it was middle of winter and a lot of snow, but trails was so bumpy average speed 10km/h specially on E108,  we went out of gas and use 10l spare jugs, as some local gas station were out of business, last available gas station located in  Gooderham and we ride there. Can you imagine when at 10pm we got there and gas station was closed too. map on trail wasn't updated, so we waste our time. Finally we have no choice, we ride trail  9 to Halliburton, left one sled empty in forest and ride on one at least to get to gas station. So end our trip around 3 am at Lindsay completely exhausted. As for me I will never go this route again, so if you decide to go make sure you have enough gas and time.        

Should be doable on a tank of gas with today's sleds.  

I believe this tour takes you past the Twin Mountains Clubhouse too, so if you're running into difficulty, it's a busy spot.

As for grooming, aren't the Snow Tours receiving priority grooming?

Andreyboater: that did not sound very enjoyable.

Blake, want to do it with me?

absolutely

Count me in I've never done that ride.

Best to finish riding before the sun goes down. It will be very unlikely to find a gas station in a small town open past 5 or 6pm. At least that has been my experience.

carry gas....eh blake ?

If your looking for an extra rider, I'd like to join in.

James, sounds like you'll be in good company for your proposed ride.

Sounds like a "week day" ride in my world.

The gas station is hit or miss in Gooderham. I wouldn't depend on it being open/having fuel. Gas is confirmed in Harcourt & Wilberforce for this season.

Best to do it counter clockwise in my opinion. #430 at Kinmount into Twin Mountains is easier to follow the first time by riding it into Kinmount rather than from the Rail Line.  Nice ride.  No gas though.  You can make it a longer ride by riding up to Gooderham for gas and then back.  Hopefully Gooderham will be open this season.  Maybe someone can report on that if they know or find out.

Gooderham is a crap shoot for gas  although they were open last year but I believe they are cash only. There is a landowner issue at the top end of BDSC 509 with no access from Contau Lake road to cty road 503/118 to join up with HCSA 9 . We are looking at a reroute into gooderham along the Contau Lake road and joinig up with Paudash 607 at Shari's truck stop at this time until the issue is resolved.

The actual Kawartha Highlands tour is easily doable on a tank of fuel, mild weather can be the detrimental factor as some of it is road running on 430 

The sign I've seen at the gas station in Gooderham is cash only. Irondale has fuel as well but is cash only. I wouldn't count on either to be open non- weekdays or evenings. The HCSA trail 9 is still being worked on and should be finished soon. The contractor is done from the B103 to Telephone Bay rd and we have already panned it a couple of times on that stretch. Being able to get in there this early was unheard of in the past because of the water and rough terrain.

Livin'

Will plan a ride in January once we better understand the conditions.  I'm thinkining a weekday starting in Kinmount in the morning.  Watch for updates.  ALL welcome.

Count me in as well. 

Jerry

If in Jan would love to join you..I will have my feet wet enough by then ...sounds like a perfect day trip after my sled is broken in...love the weekday option but would do either...heck..both...for those that prefer weekday keep me in mind

10 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

The sign I've seen at the gas station in Gooderham is cash only. Irondale has fuel as well but is cash only. I wouldn't count on either to be open non- weekdays or evenings...

It has been awhile since there was a trail through Irondale. To get to Irondale there would be a lot of road running/ditch banging.

Gooderham has been hit and miss for us last year. It seemed he was open if there was work to be done in the shop, if not, he would close up early. 

Archived