SE Kitchener Trail Heading Staging

FrostyTheSnowman

2 hours ago, renns said:

Greetings - this is my first post, as I came here looking for information about the OFSC trails in the KW area after having some difficulty on our first ride today.

Following the published maps, I parked in behind Rimowa for our first ever ride on the OFSC trails today.  There were a couple other tow vehicle/trailers there, so we followed their tracks, but soon found them coming back towards us.  They had been looking for the trail for nearly an hour with no luck.  We continued searching with them, attempting to follow the route using the GPS, but finally gave up after a few kms with no trail signs or marking anywhere.  It was fun to get out on our sleds for the first time, but I certainly was disappointed with the out-of-date maps.  Is there someone to contact to get this fixed?  There were numerous others arriving to the Rimowa parking lot as we left, so they are also likely blazing their own trails looking for signs of the proper route.

As I stated in my previous post. The trail hasn't gone down that far for a few years now. The trail ends at Greenhorizons parking lot.

It should really be changed on the ofsc map to clear up the confusion.Its been at least 2 years since trail ended at greenhorizon sod farm.

Welcome to the forum Renns. How does the paper map you have compare to the online Interactive Trail Guide? http://ofsc.mapbase.ca/viewer/

I'm not really familiar with the area or Rimowa but online is a wonderful thing. I looked up Rimowa and it gave me an address on Vondrou Dr. in Cambridge. I then used to ITG to find Cambridge and Vondrou and voila... here is the trail. In the top left corner of the ITG you can select map base and then zoom in or out. I usually select hybrid but in this case I used satellite.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

O2, online is only a wonderful thing when the data is accurate!!  :D

I was using the on-line maps, copied to my phone.  Blackstar indicates the trail no longer goes south of Kossuth Rd, which confirms what we found this morning.  Referring to the attachment below, the lower section circled on the ofsc map shows the trail we were attempting to follow.  It wasn't until the crossing at Speedsville that there were any sled tracks.  East of Speedsville, others had been following the old trail heading north to GreenHorizons and beyond.  After quitting and returning to the Rimowa lot, we drove up Shantz Station, and found the trail well established where it crossed just north of the airport.  Here's another question - the trail was marked as closed at this crossing, so we just continued on home, and called it a day.  What takes precedence - the posted sign, or the ofsc on-line map?  There were lots of sleds on the trails in this area, but we were unsure of proper protocol.

So, who updates these maps?  I'd like to pass the word along.

Trails.jpg

I think you would contact the club about the issue, as they are the source of all data for physical signage, paper trail guides, or online trail guides.

Will do.  Looks like Cambridge Sno-Gliders.  I've found their Facebook page, and will send them a message.  Thanks to all for the assistance and welcome!

The trails down that way are normally not open as often due to the fact that a lot of times there isn't as much snow on the south side of KW. Like most of our area, the further north or west you go, typically there is more snow. That being said, the groomer that does that area seems to be able to put down an awesome trail if there is enough snow and the trails down there usually don't get as much traffic s those to the north and west.

11 hours ago, renns said:

What takes precedence - the posted sign, or the ofsc on-line map? 

It can be either.

The ITG is generally more accurate than the signs, especially if the trail opened over a weekend. Someone has to drive out there and flip. With rain coming today, they probably didn't bother.

• 11 months later...

Looking at the new and improved ITG, I see that the trail is still shown going all the way down to Vondrau Dr.

The paper maps show the same.

Surely, someone knows someone who can get this changed.

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Looking at the new and improved ITG, I see that the trail is still shown going all the way down to Vondrau Dr.

The paper maps show the same.

Surely, someone knows someone who can get this changed.

I've emailed the OFSC yearly since this changed.  I think it's been 5 years since the trail went down that far.  Can't seem to get a response from the Cambridge Sno-Gliders about it either.

It really make me question the accuracy of ALL of the maps and mapping when I know this has been screwed up for years.

2 hours ago, schmied said:

I've emailed the OFSC yearly since this changed.  I think it's been 5 years since the trail went down that far.  Can't seem to get a response from the Cambridge Sno-Gliders about it either.

It really make me question the accuracy of ALL of the maps and mapping when I know this has been screwed up for years.

Just found out that actual addition /deletion  of trails or parts thereof on the ITG still has to be done at the OFSC level. At the district level they can change trail names, club responsible for the trail and POI's only.

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Just found out that actual addition /deletion  of trails or parts thereof on the ITG still has to be done at the OFSC level. At the district level they can change trail names, club responsible for the trail and POI's only.

I see power line trail is back on map running from Baden to near Petersburg. Wonder if this is a screw up as well? 

15 minutes ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

That trail is closed and the gates are locked with little hope of ever opening again 

It is on guide this year though as a feeder trail. Last winter it was green in December. 

9 minutes ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

There is no staked trail. Permission has been revoked. Stay off. Just because it shows on the itg doesn't mean there is a trail there. It wasnt there last year either.

It should be removed from guide then. 

On 12/24/2017 at 12:39 PM, Nith Valley Sledder said:

There is no staked trail. Permission has been revoked. Stay off. Just because it shows on the itg doesn't mean there is a trail there. It wasnt there last year either.

:headbang:

Archived