What to do should you fall through the ice.

ZR SLEDHEAD

The video is indeed worth watching, and offers important information about surviving in icy waters.

STG's own procedures are questionable, although he's practiced successfully for years on Kahshe Lake.

ice chopper.jpg

15541176_10154203722056984_8178382426661884833_n.jpg

Everyone please consider wearing a Floater Suit and always wear ice picks around your neck. The floater suit will help keep you horizontal to the ice shelf and the picks will get you up and out in a hurry. A good floater suit will also wick away the water and start building heat quickly as you get to shelter. Many have frozen to death before making it in despite a safe exit from the water. I consider these things mandatory for snowmobiling in Ontario with its hundreds and hundreds of lakes and rivers. Please consider your family and loved ones and give some thought to these things. Have a great sledding season.

My wife and I have floater suits and picks. We wouldn't go without them. One of the things we hear said amazes me.  We tend to stay to the staked ice routes. Others have come up to unstaked ice and said, "look, there's sled tracks, it must be safe". Then off they go. Those tracks could be from a rider who weighs 150 pounds riding a lightweight sled going 100 kph. The rider assuming it's safe could be 225 pounds riding a much heavier 4 stroke and going 60 kph. He gets out on the ice and wonders what happened when he breaks through. 

If you're not sure, don't go. Take an alternative route. It's just not worth it. 

1 hour ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Concerned picks could become an issue in a crash, no doubt they could save your life if you've fallen through the ice through.

They are safely attached to each other handle and hang around your neck. They will be floating right in front of you when you "hit the drink." Over the years I have had many people ask me "what's that hanging around your neck?" I usually respond- "my life."

Ice Picks.JPG

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

My wife and I have floater suits and picks. We wouldn't go without them. One of the things we hear said amazes me.  We tend to stay to the staked ice routes. Others have come up to unstaked ice and said, "look, there's sled tracks, it must be safe". Then off they go. Those tracks could be from a rider who weighs 150 pounds riding a lightweight sled going 100 kph. The rider assuming it's safe could be 225 pounds riding a much heavier 4 stroke and going 60 kph. He gets out on the ice and wonders what happened when he breaks through. 

If you're not sure, don't go. Take an alternative route. It's just not worth it. 

Good logic, and very well stated.

4 hours ago, stoney said:

An oldie but a goodie...really is great info and illustrates how important it is just to be able to tread water for a while, in hopes someone else can help you.

You really need to be prepared to help yourself.

26 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

You really need to be prepared to help yourself.

Well, that be option B, of course....but should you be unable too help yourself, if you could simply stay a float as long as possible, not sink/drown (i.e. floater suit) and conserve your energy, you have a much better chance of actually living through the experience, should someone find you.

That was kind of the second point in the movie (option C).

Option A would be, keeping dry and out of the water all together :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/west-quebec-dramatic-rescue-car-plunges-into-icy-lake-1.3944217

Couple recounts terrifying plunge into icy west Quebec lake

'Something in my head said, 'You are going back under. You're staying there, if you don't have your wife''

By Steve Fischer, with files from Ashley Burke and Elyse Skura, CBC News Posted: Jan 20, 2017 12:33 AM ET Last Updated: Jan 20, 2017 1:14 PM ET

Media placeholder
Play Media

Couple relive dramatic fall into ice-covered lake 1:58

2784 shares
  facebook-up.png
Facebook

twitter-up.png
Twitter

reddit-up.png
Reddit

plus-up.png
Google

share-up.png

email-up.png
Email

Audrey Berndt usually accompanies her husband Kevin Wiseman when he grooms the trails for a west Quebec snowmobile club.  

She says she doesn't want him to be alone, in case something goes wrong.

Something did go wrong on Wednesday around 6 p.m. and Berndt had a front-row seat — literally. She was in the passenger seat as Wiseman steered the snowcat out of the bush on an unfamiliar route and onto what he thought was a field.

The couple quickly realized they were actually on snow-covered McMullin Lake, near Val-des-Monts, Que.

snowmobile trail groomer sinking val-des-monts lake Jan 18-2017

Audrey Berndt and her husband Kevin Wiseman survived after the trail groomer they were driving fell through the ice of McMullin Lake near Val-des-Monts, Que., Wednesday night. (MRC des Collines police)

As Wiseman turned the large, heavy snowcat to get back on land, it plunged through the ice.

In as calm a voice as he could muster, Wiseman told Berndt, "Don't panic, I think we have a few minutes [of air], then we hit bottom."

The couple was trapped under the ice in about four metres of water. Neither the doors nor windows would open. Frigid water started to fill the cab.

'I took two gulps. I said, 'This is how I am going to die.''- Audrey Berndt

Wiseman first punched with his hands to try to break through the windshield, without success. He then used his head as a battering ram to smash the glass.  

He quickly surfaced, only to discover his 40-year-old wife was still trapped below the ice in the cab, which was now full of water.  

Berndt says at that moment, "I took two gulps. I said, 'This is how I'm going to die. No more kids, no more husband. They're going to lose us both.'"

Wiseman dove back down but could not find his wife in the snowcat. He dove a second time but didn't have enough air in his lungs and had to resurface. Wiseman, 43, caught his breath and dove down a third time.

"Something in my head said, 'You are going back under. You're staying there, if you don't have your wife,'" he said.

As Wiseman dove down for the last time, Berndt shifted over to his seat in the cab.

"I felt his hand, and he just yanked me right out of there," she said.

Snowcat damaged frozen Lake McMullin Val-des-Monts rescue Jan 19 2017

The snowcat was almost entirely submerged in the lake's frigid waters, and was later pulled out. (MRC des Collines)

Couple struggle to nearby cabin 

Wiseman got Berndt to a cabin a few hundred metres away, somewhere between carrying and dragging her to the destination. The woman who answered the door turned out to be a nurse who was able to help the couple, dressing them in warm clothes while they waited for emergency services.

Paramedics determined Berndt was suffering from hypothermia. She was taken by ambulance to hospital where she was monitored for several hours before being released.

As they sat a day after their ordeal, enjoying the warmth of their Buckingham, Que., home, Berndt wept and hugged her husband of 15 years.

"I call him my hero. If not for him, I would not be here," she says. 

couple return after escaping car sinking in west quebec lake jan 19 2017

Police released this photo after the couple, seen at right, returned to the scene where they escaped the icy waters Wednesday night. (MRC des Collines)

Mild weather played role

Const. Martin Fournel, a spokesman for MRC des Collines police, say it appears the couple drove over a spot where the ice was thin.

"Ten feet beside [there] it would have been fine, probably," Fournel says.

MRC des Collines had issued a safety advisory earlier in the week, warning people to make sure ice is thick enough to hold the weight of vehicles before driving onto it. 

Quebec's occupational health and safety commission is investigating what's being considered a workplace accident.

Lake McMullin rescue snowcat Val-des-Monts sign water Jan 19 2017

A danger sign has been put up at the scene of the incident. (MRC des Collines)

Riveting story ! I am deeply impressed with the husband's devotion and loyalty in refusing to leave his wife down there. Nothing else could possibly impress me more. It also shows how quickly things can go bad and how fleeting life could be. Enjoy every moment like it is the last.

A couple of questions arise after thinking about this event :

• Is there no escape hatch in the roof of the Sno-Cat ? 
  • Why wasn't a hammer / axe / fire extinguisher available in the cab to smash through the windshield ?
  • Why don't they design the windshield to be on a lever operated opener ?
  • As a groomer op in a new route, should he not have had a one-time familiarization by an operator that was experienced in that particular route ?

I ask these questions as I do not have any direct experience with groomers, although I am familiar with other types of heavy machinery.

Also, this is not meant to be "bashing" in nature, as I have total respect for the utmost quality of man that the operator has proven to be.

39 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

• Why wasn't a hammer / axe / fire extinguisher available in the cab to smash through the windshield ?
  • As a groomer op in a new route, should he not have had a one-time familiarization by an operator that was experienced in that particular route ?

I ask these questions as I do not have any direct experience with groomers, although I am familiar with other types of heavy machinery.

Also, this is not meant to be "bashing" in nature, as I have total respect for the utmost quality of man that the operator has proven to be.

May well have been one or all of those items in the cab but when this sh_t happens you don't always think everything through totally but just react with the thought that comes to mind. I agree that he should have had someone who knew the route to train him on the first trip.

One of our tractor groomers had a similar experience a few years ago at the  Drumbo road truckstop on the 401.

The year before it was a field beside the truckstop that the groomer went out in to turn around and leave but they built a rain collection pond in the field over the summer and you can figure out what happened. Fortunately there was an escape hatch on the roof of the tractor and the operator got out OK. Valuable lesson learned.

On another note, even after the tractor dealer went over the tractor and got it up to par again, that tractor seemed to have continual small issues (electrical and others) happening to it until it left us.

44 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

23 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

May well have been one or all of those items in the cab but when this sh_t happens you don't always think everything through totally but just react with the thought that comes to mind. I agree that he should have had someone who knew the route to train him on the first trip.

Like Piston said, you're not necessarily thinking clearly and likely in panic mode. The windshield being lever opening doesn't make sense I don't think. I could be wrong but from what I have read you would even have a challenge opening the side man doors. You would have a hard time if you could at all pushing the doors or the windshield out and open. The pressure from the outside pushing to get into the cab would be extreme.

15 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Like Piston said, you're not necessarily thinking clearly and likely in panic mode. The windshield being lever opening doesn't make sense I don't think. I could be wrong but from what I have read you would even have a challenge opening the side man doors. You would have a hard time if you could at all pushing the doors or the windshield out and open. The pressure from the outside pushing to get into the cab would be extreme.

I was thinking to have the lever system open to the inside, same as the roof hatch as well. That way you are not fighting the water pressure on the chassis.

22 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

May well have been one or all of those items in the cab but when this sh_t happens you don't always think everything through totally but just react with the thought that comes to mind.

For sure, I get that. However, he seemed to be fairly collected during the incident, especially telling his that they would have enough air for a few minutes. I'm sure his mind was working feverishly at that point though.

25 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

One of our tractor groomers had a similar experience a few years ago at the  Drumbo road truckstop on the 401.

The year before it was a field beside the truckstop that the groomer went out in to turn around and leave but they built a rain collection pond in the field over the summer and you can figure out what happened. Fortunately there was an escape hatch on the roof of the tractor and the operator got out OK. Valuable lesson learned.

On another note, even after the tractor dealer went over the tractor and got it up to par again, that tractor seemed to have continual small issues (electrical and others) happening to it until it left us.

There's no getting around changing everything after a sinking. You either change it all slowly, or just get rid of it entirely, letting someone get a deal who has lots of time to mess with it.

43 minutes ago, Cuyuna said:

I was thinking to have the lever system open to the inside, same as the roof hatch as well. That way you are not fighting the water pressure on the chassis.

Might work but being so large would it not essentially block your escape route as it comes toward you or perhaps even impact against the controls somewhat. I don't know. I can see the roof being a more viable option.

Archived