a little unresting

ToSlow

i like most want to be on the trials as the amount of snow in mount forest is awesome, unlike some in the area i'll wait till they post the trials as open, but after going for a drive today and seeing the amount of sleds running the trials makes me wonder if they are open to a select few and not all.

end of rant

Not gonna get solved with zero enforcement ....

5 hours ago, ToSlow said:

i like most want to be on the trials as the amount of snow in mount forest is awesome, unlike some in the area i'll wait till they post the trials as open, but after going for a drive today and seeing the amount of sleds running the trials makes me wonder if they are open to a select few and not all.

end of rant

Closed is closed IMHO. I know that one or more clubs in the area seem OK with people riding closed trails and in one case their remote clubhouse was open and cooking hot dogs yesterday and today apparently (but their trails are closed).

Just came back from a sled "incident" across the road from my place. About 5:45 two sleds crossed the highway at my place and really did giver from the sound (and the trail dug out to some ground showing). 10 minutes later the young mennonite that owns the farm across the road came to my door & said that someone missed the curve (approx. 125 feet from the road crossing) and went through his 5 strand high tension fence into the horse field. I got my sh_t together and headed across. Got down off the road and 1/2 way to the fence with my flashlight on and the sleds both started and took off back through the fence and down the trail in the opposite direction to me. (NOTE to self, leave the light off next time)

The top strand is between 4-5' from the ground so someone riding a red sled has to be hurting but no blood on the ground.

THE TRAIL IS CLOSED with a Trail Closed sign at both sides of the road crossing + a slow sign right after the 50KM. sign + blue directional arrow signs on 2 of the fence posts since the same thing happened a couple of winters ago.

Guess I'll try the big yellow arrow signs tomorrow even though its a reasonably gentle curve and they aren't appropriate according to the sign guide.

Anybody got a 10 gauge crimper?

Another stupid incident by people riding two fast on closed trails. About 5 years ago I was almost taken out on a corner heading to heildburg. There was a large straight away and then about a 70 degree corner. I seen the sleds coming and stopped, sure enough the firsts guy blew right thru the corner at a high rate of speed. If I hadn't have stopped it would have been a disaster. 

1 hour ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

I'm sure you could find some chevron in the back of the clubhouse to hang. What is going to cost to properly repair the fence? There goes dome wing night profits .

Got some in the barn. Got some arrow too since they are larger, I think I will use at least one of them at the apex. More work than cost to fix the fence.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Got some in the barn. Got some arrow too since they are larger, I think I will use at least one of them at the apex. More work than cost to fix the fence.

If I can help with repairs just let me know.

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

If I can help with repairs just let me know.

Thanks. Hopefully it can wait until spring and that way we shouldn't have to fix it more than once.

11 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Another stupid incident by people riding two fast on closed trails. About 5 years ago I was almost taken out on a corner heading to heildburg. There was a large straight away and then about a 70 degree corner. I seen the sleds coming and stopped, sure enough the firsts guy blew right thru the corner at a high rate of speed. If I hadn't have stopped it would have been a disaster. 

Riding to fast on closed trails??..WTF.

Should have not been on the trail at all. PERIOD.. END OF CONVERSATION..

4 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Should have not been on the trail at all. PERIOD.. END OF CONVERSATION..

What HE said ....

From Mount Forest facebook page today.

Ok Sledders.... We have about 90% of our trail staked. Just a reminder the trail needs to have staking completed, signage in place and Inspected before we can put Groomers on or open as "Limited". Be patient as we are very close. We have 16 trail sections encompassing 166 km of Trail to put in and all but 3 trail sections should be staked ready for inspection shortly. We were able to work on minor repairs to three bridges, added a culvert and made the usual trail changes due to specific crops. All in all the year is off to a good start.

A special thanks to our new volunteers who have been out helping us complete our tasks and the 200+ Land owners that allow us to use their land.

Brian Manion President, MFDSC

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

From Mount Forest facebook page today.

Ok Sledders.... We have about 90% of our trail staked. Just a reminder the trail needs to have staking completed, signage in place and Inspected before we can put Groomers on or open as "Limited". Be patient as we are very close. We have 16 trail sections encompassing 166 km of Trail to put in and all but 3 trail sections should be staked ready for inspection shortly. We were able to work on minor repairs to three bridges, added a culvert and made the usual trail changes due to specific crops. All in all the year is off to a good start.

A special thanks to our new volunteers who have been out helping us complete our tasks and the 200+ Land owners that allow us to use their land.

Brian Manion President, MFDSC

200 Landowners ! Now that is a lot of hard work. 

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:45 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Closed is closed IMHO. I know that one or more clubs in the area seem OK with people riding closed trails and in one case their remote clubhouse was open and cooking hot dogs yesterday and today apparently (but their trails are closed).

Just came back from a sled "incident" across the road from my place. About 5:45 two sleds crossed the highway at my place and really did giver from the sound (and the trail dug out to some ground showing). 10 minutes later the young mennonite that owns the farm across the road came to my door & said that someone missed the curve (approx. 125 feet from the road crossing) and went through his 5 strand high tension fence into the horse field. I got my sh_t together and headed across. Got down off the road and 1/2 way to the fence with my flashlight on and the sleds both started and took off back through the fence and down the trail in the opposite direction to me. (NOTE to self, leave the light off next time)

The top strand is between 4-5' from the ground so someone riding a red sled has to be hurting but no blood on the ground.

THE TRAIL IS CLOSED with a Trail Closed sign at both sides of the road crossing + a slow sign right after the 50KM. sign + blue directional arrow signs on 2 of the fence posts since the same thing happened a couple of winters ago.

Guess I'll try the big yellow arrow signs tomorrow even though its a reasonably gentle curve and they aren't appropriate according to the sign guide.

Anybody got a 10 gauge crimper?

Some GOOD CHRISTMAS NEWS. The 19 year old who drove through the fence mentioned above showed up at the farm where it happened today. He apologized for damaging the fence and paid Floyd the Mennonite farmer for the damage. Floyd saw me outside later this afternoon and stopped over to tell me what happened. He like me was impressed that the young man did. Kind of renews my faith in young sledders at an appropriate time of the year.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL you OCER'S AND YOUR FAMILIES!

nice to hear he owned up to it

Too rare these days, it seems.

Nice to see. Someone with morals doing the right thing. Becoming too rare.

Archived