Who will have the first open trails in each district?

Blake G

From Facebook around 9 p.m. Friday evening:
MARATHON SNO-KICKERS

We will be listing approximately 30km of trail as limited availability on the ITG tomorrow, and if the cold weather continues we will try to push further east next week!

The D Trail is now groomed from Hwy 17 across from the airport to the Hydro line on the east side of the Black River . We have decided to wait for some more cold weather to let the ground freeze more before proceeding any further east with the groomer, as there are lots of spots that are wet and muddy. If anyone wants to help the club out feel free to go for a sled ride this weekend east of the Black River. Sled traffic will help to pack the soft spots and drive the frost down.  Have a great weekend everyone, get out and do some sledding! Stay Safe

Saw that too ... sure wish we could afford to camp out over there and beat on those trails for a coupla days ...

marathon dec 10 2016.jpg

"Posted 4 hours ago" .... it's 7am ... are you a friggin' Owl, or a Bat ?  

From Facebook, from the other owls ....

15319220_673057162857655_334000330430641

When we posted these photos, the ITG was showing 120km of available trails .... now showing 70km ... same trails available, no more, no less ... Hmmmmm ..............

Packing in the Northumberland Forest last night

Packing Dec 2016.jpg

Packing2 Dec 2016.jpg

Hopefully we will be riding the forest by Christmas. We need cold temps then more snow and we should be good to go  " I hope "

Looks great Bigfish!  I haven't been in there in a couple of years! 

Looking forward to getting some local riding in this year!  I'm sure The Ganny is packing too!

Packing in the Northumberland Forest last night

Packing Dec 2016.jpg

Packing2 Dec 2016.jpg

Hearst has been out packing this week, looks like a loop might be available soon, small ride to the lakes North of town.  Went for a drive to see which trails have been packed, got a pretty good idea.  Base is thin, it's down to the stubble most areas but it'll freeze like concrete with this cold.  Looks like -30's a few nights thru the weekend, it's -27 now.  

I see the main rail bed from Lindsay to Kinmount area is now green so I can finally break in my new sled....will have to borrow a friends truck to get the 2km from my house to the trail until our Subaru tow vehicle is fixed...

I was tempted to head north this morning but opted not to. Watching on TV they showed the 400 at the Holland Marsh, blowing snow and ice underneath the snow. Then white outs north of there on and off particularly north of Barrie. Friends in Port Severn said stay home... snow is still coming down and blowing. I was hoping the rail bed out of Coldwater might be ready. I won't do it on the weekend, too many crazies will be out. I will be patient.

I just noticed a disconnect on a trail and I'm not sure if it's new or been that way for a while. In the vicinity of Hillsdale and Orr Lake two trails to nowhere....

Capture.JPG

I believe it used to connect could be wrong. Questions. #1 are there hopes of these two dead ends connecting in future? #2 If not why are there two dead end trails to nowhere? #3 If they are trails to nowhere will they be closed and we stop grooming dead end trails to nowhere to save money on the system. Just curious if anybody knows.

38 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

If you lived on one day of those trails would it still be to nowhere?

I asked the question because I don't know the answer to why the trails are there. In today's environment of rationalizing where we spend money on grooming how would someone justify grooming a dead end trail because there are a half dozen people that like the convenience of being able to ride from their front door. C trail is not a long drive west of there. There are options for people to trailer to. It would be nice if everyone could ride from their front door with a trail right there but it isn't going to happen.

Capture.JPG

This is the trail that dead ends near the south end of Orr Lake. Is it a staging area? I don't know that is why I am asking the purpose of the trail.

From the north end it dead ends at some business. I don't know what it is. Once again just asking. Is the business that benefits from this paying for the grooming? What is the business.?

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I asked the question because I don't know the answer to why the trails are there. In today's environment of rationalizing where we spend money on grooming how would someone justify grooming a dead end trail because there are a half dozen people that like the convenience of being able to ride from their front door. C trail is not a long drive west of there. There are options for people to trailer to. It would be nice if everyone could ride from their front door with a trail right there but it isn't going to happen.

Capture.JPG

This is the trail that dead ends near the south end of Orr Lake. Is it a staging area? I don't know that is why I am asking the purpose of the trail.

From the north end it dead ends at some business. I don't know what it is. Once again just asking. Is the business that benefits from this paying for the grooming? What is the business.?

Capture.JPG

Bottom pic looks like a gas station with a roof over the pump area and a separate diesel pump above it. If it is a fuel stop, there's your reason.

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I was tempted to head north this morning but opted not to. Watching on TV they showed the 400 at the Holland Marsh, blowing snow and ice underneath the snow. Then white outs north of there on and off particularly north of Barrie. Friends in Port Severn said stay home... snow is still coming down and blowing. I was hoping the rail bed out of Coldwater might be ready. I won't do it on the weekend, too many crazies will be out. I will be patient.

I just noticed a disconnect on a trail and I'm not sure if it's new or been that way for a while. In the vicinity of Hillsdale and Orr Lake two trails to nowhere....

Capture.JPG

I believe it used to connect could be wrong. Questions. #1 are there hopes of these two dead ends connecting in future? #2 If not why are there two dead end trails to nowhere? #3 If they are trails to nowhere will they be closed and we stop grooming dead end trails to nowhere to save money on the system. Just curious if anybody knows.

Gas station at the top end and access for the permit buyers who live on the lake.  

There was another trail that use to run over towards Moonstone which you may be confusing it with. 

Trust me Sno Voyageurs have lost enough trail to balance the funding for grooming.. 

Zoomed in on the interactive trail guide:

Looks like Trail 309 goes 2 km along the side of a road to Waverley Esso.  Likely a good gas stop.

The other trail goes 0.8 km to McKeown Mobile and Marine & Powersports and the community of Orr Lake.

Possibly club sponsors?

O2 I was only responding to your presumptuous question-

"I believe it used to connect could be wrong. Questions. #1 are there hopes of these two dead ends connecting in future? #2 If not why are there two dead end trails to nowhere? #3 If they are trails to nowhere will they be closed and we stop grooming dead end trails to nowhere to save money on the system. Just curious if anybody knows. "

There is in fact no such thing as a trail to nowhere.

;)

15 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

There is in fact no such thing as a trail to nowhere.

;)

actually there is!

road-to-nowhere.jpg

I was just curious... two trails that head in the direction of each other and then stop... in the middle of Nowhere. It prompted me to wonder first if perhaps they did at one time connect and due to a landowner situation they didn't any more. I also wondered if perhaps at one time the trail may have run across the lake but maybe they no longer had access to the lake with new land owners.

23 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I was just curious... two trails that head in the direction of each other and then stop... in the middle of Nowhere. It prompted me to wonder first if perhaps they did at one time connect and due to a landowner situation they didn't any more. I also wondered if perhaps at one time the trail may have run across the lake but maybe they no longer had access to the lake with new land owners.

Pay attention O2.  Obviously it is not the middle of Nowhere. As Bigfish has illustrated, Nowhere is somewhere else.

Here we go ...

Ok who is on first ...   LOL

O2 , that area is very frustrating to me .. rode through two years ago and wanted to get fuel in Elmvale but ...no access ...seemed very strange to me

Archived