Haliburton Forest MAY be open next week

johnsazzr

17 minutes ago, Nunz said:

27.50 this weekend they aren't sure what rates will be next weekend 

Okay, that means next week will the "normal" mid-season rates!

Have fun.

John is just itching to get that new sled out ...

Can't blame you John ..  :)

Since they are expecting  more snow I will be going this week during the week ....just a for a couple of hrs to start breaking in the new sled.

Booked a cabin for Dec 27.  Can't wait to break in the NEW Turbo.  

I've always had incredible experiences at Haliburton Forest, not sure why everyone bashes them.  So unique... onsite cabins, fuel, big warm up shacks everywhere, good onsite food, great people, fast wide trails, early lake running and top notch grooming equipment!   

42 minutes ago, Turbo Burgo said:

Haliburton Forest, not sure why everyone bashes them. 

Because many have experienced less than ethical behaviour in their declaration of Trail conditions.

1 hour ago, Turbo Burgo said:

Booked a cabin for Dec 27.  Can't wait to break in the NEW Turbo.  

I've always had incredible experiences at Haliburton Forest, not sure why everyone bashes them.  So unique... onsite cabins, fuel, big warm up shacks everywhere, good onsite food, great people, fast wide trails, early lake running and top notch grooming equipment!   

The only thing that seems to be a problem with Haliburton Forest is that they seem to be aggressively positive when reporting their trail conditions. It seems if they say conditions are great it could be in fact marginal.

Congrats on the new sled. Have fun breaking it in.

Hmmm.  I may head that way Thursday and stay the night....

Just got home from spending the day there with Muskoka Mike and Muskoka cat guy and few other friends, conditions were fair but we did 60 miles. They definitely need more snow that's in the forecast, if anyone is thinking of going I'd suggest waiting a couple more days. For 27 bucks it was worth getting out and burning some gas..The new Titan helmet is amazing, very light and no fogging issues very impressed with it so far. 

I would not be surprised if there will not be some OFSC trails open very soon....forecast is looking rather promising and the fall was a rather dry one.

edit: I mean ofsc trails no further than the forest...

No trails around here opening anytime soon

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

No trails around here opening anytime soon

Prolly pretty soggy chez vous ... it was up here too, it'll firm up now.  The guys be out packing now that's it not in vain.

• 1 year later...

We’re lookong at going to Highlands this Saturday 16th to get in some riding and break in my new Renegade X 850

is it worth driving 2 hours and spending day up there? 

27 minutes ago, RenegadeX said:

We’re lookong at going to Highlands this Saturday 16th to get in some riding and break in my new Renegade X 850

Its never worth going to HF early or late season.  The conditions are rarely as they state IME.

20 minutes ago, RenegadeX said:

From what I have seen they are booked up Saturday and Sunday and Friday is almost booked up.  It will be very early season conditions for sure.

17 minutes ago, Nunz said:

From what I have seen they are booked up Saturday and Sunday and Friday is almost booked up.  It will be very early season conditions for sure.

Have you ever seen them actually refuse more sleds on the trails???

40 minutes ago, Domino said:

Its never worth going to HF early or late season.  The conditions are rarely as they state IME.

I drove there early season once based on what they described on the phone. When I got there I decided I wasn't going to punish my brand new sled on what they described as good riding. They were sold out for the day. Since they don't give refunds it was shear luck that I was able to sell my pass for the day to a couple that were only able to get one pass and were planning on riding two up rather than each ride their own sleds.

1 hour ago, Domino said:

Have you ever seen them actually refuse more sleds on the trails???

I just called them and they are not accepting any reservations for Saturday but there is limited spots for Sunday.

On 2017-12-14 at 9:20 AM, Domino said:

I wish they would be more honest, no doubt. General guide is if tall pines trails 62 and 64 are closed, forest is limited. If the trails are limited or open, forest will be good to excellent. Both systems are same elevation and receive identically natural snow amounts. 

Well, first time experiencing what 02Sled and Domino were saying.  They should not have opened.  A lot of people leaving by noon on Sat.  Constant clatter of stones under your skis.  Trails so trashed we took Kelly Road down to Kennessis lake rd to get back to the Base. The road was better than the trails. I pity people who booked the weekend lodgings.

My buddies wanted to go this weekend and I said no way! All they want is your money, they don’t care about your sleds...

1 hour ago, gibson said:

It's always been about $$$. Never trust their early or late season trail reports. Been that way for years....

Sad part is never a shortage of riders to take early bookings. So no incentive for them to report actual conditions. 

Archived